Author Topic: The White City  (Read 7473 times)

Eleanor

The White City
« on: January 13, 2009, 10:59:41 AM »
Another suburb of Belfast, Whitewell. My parents lived in Portmore Hill in the White City, off Whitewell Road, till 1963. I was only three when they moved away from there, but I have heard all the stories about how wonderful the community was and how happy my family was there. Did anyone on here live in the White City at that time? :)
Hate the sin, but love the sinner

stickyra

Re: The White City
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 01:46:58 PM »
I lived about a mile from there.  Do you know the whole estate was demolished about fifteen years ago and completely rebuilt?  The streets still all have the same names though, including Portmore Hill and the layout is the same.
Ní bheith mo leithid aris ann

Eleanor

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 04:48:19 PM »
I'd forgotten that.  :)

Sailortown Man

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 09:14:02 PM »
Eleanor, I was born in Serpentine Gardens just on the edge of the White City.  We moved in 1971 but I remember it well.

SeanP

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 01:21:28 PM »
I lived on the main Antrim Road just above it in the early 60s.

I used to walk home from Park Lodge and with a boy called Brian Canavan who lived there, in those days it was mixed and seemed to be a nice enough place to live.

I think Brian now owns Euro Flowers on the Boucher Road.

Eleanor

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 01:30:18 PM »
I lived on the main Antrim Road just above it in the early 60s.

I used to walk home from Park Lodge and with a boy called Brian Canavan who lived there, in those days it was mixed and seemed to be a nice enough place to live.

I think Brian now owns Euro Flowers on the Boucher Road.

My family was very happy there. :)

floral

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 08:49:24 PM »
Another suburb of Belfast, Whitewell. My parents lived in Portmore Hill in the White City, off Whitewell Road, till 1963. I was only three when they moved away from there, but I have heard all the stories about how wonderful the community was and how happy my family was there. Did anyone on here live in the White City at that time? :)

Hi yes I lived in Garton Way from 1954 until I got married in 1970. My Mum and DaD moved I believe in 1973/1974. Had a very happy childhood growing up there.

floral

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 08:53:33 PM »

Hi I lived in the Whitecity from 1954 until 1970

ohagan

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 07:25:37 PM »
I WAS BORN IN THE WHITECITY IN GARTON WAY! I LOVED IT!

floral

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 11:47:19 AM »
I WAS BORN IN THE WHITECITY IN GARTON WAY! I LOVED IT!

Hi ohagan, there is another link on the forum for the Whitecity. Have you looked at it. Floral - Big Sis. See you soon.

candma

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 06:38:59 PM »
I to was born in the whitecity Mulderg drive ,anyone remember the old house/gardens at the bottom of Gunnel hill,it was said that there where Germans there ,why i do not know ?fond memories , between there and the Cave Hill the summers seemed so long  ,but winter ????? the cold winds raced through the gaps in the windows  what a place .I wonder are the new houses any better ,let me know.regards to any one who thinks they think they know me C.

grabster

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »
I lived in mulderg drive in the early 80's and loved it. My work takes me back there from time to time and although the houses are now rebuilt its still the whitecity i remember.
Pity my grannies flat in thorburn is long gone with just a wasteland that shows no signs of being rebuilt.
Anyone remember the roller disco in the dent hall ?

And the shops as well ?   the library, the bakery, and the vg on the serpentine ?

Dargan

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 10:01:08 PM »
I remember being taken to a hairdresser's shop in White City to get a "feather-cut" in about 1976!
This week's Shore Road number one: Tip Head Blues by Mad Mick and the Troglodytes.

floral

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 10:07:05 AM »
I used to get my hair cut also in the hairdressers, Mrs. Bull was the hairdressers this would be in the 1950/1960's

johnmc

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 03:19:09 PM »
 :hi: Stickyra   Hows the F/I/L SEAMUS  GOING?
                   jOHNMC