Author Topic: Berlin Street Shankill Road  (Read 7098 times)

cooleman

Berlin Street Shankill Road
« on: January 18, 2009, 11:48:38 AM »
Grew up in this street early 70s,would anyone have pics or old stories from the street,would be intrested to hear & or see.

Hendy

Re: Berlin Street Shankill Road
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 12:14:13 PM »
The Wee House in Berlin St was always great for a Saturday morning cure, a knock on the side door at 7am and in you went, always packed. :D

cooleman

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 12:28:21 PM »
Hendy was this a pub or a house in the street,the house i grew up in was known as a place to call to get a drink.Although i have no memories of people calling its something i have been told about,my grandfather who owned the house was partial to the odd drink he went by the name of Rocky Burns.

Hendy

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 12:34:25 PM »
Hendy was this a pub or a house in the street,the house i grew up in was known as a place to call to get a drink.Although i have no memories of people calling its something i have been told about,my grandfather who owned the house was partial to the odd drink he went by the name of Rocky Burns.
Would that be oul Rocky Burns who was Gusty's mate, if it was I remembering seeing him in the Loyalist Club. The Wee House was a Pub on the corner of the first street just up from the Berlin Arms.

cooleman

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 12:44:37 PM »
Yes he was gustys mate,for my sins i got named after gusty.Never met the man though.

Hendy

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 12:52:14 PM »
Yes he was gustys mate,for my sins i got named after gusty.Never met the man though.
Iwas in the Loyalist Rangers supprorters club and I'm sure old Rocky came on a trip or two, the club later moved to Azamor St.

forever_a_shankill_girl

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 01:48:34 PM »

Used to go to the wee rangers in azamor street every sunday night before it moved to the front of the road. There was never the same atmospher in it after it moved.
never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!

arkie

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 04:07:33 PM »
JOE COGGLE LIVED IN BERLIN ST. DO YOU KNOW IF JOE IS STILL WITH US?

mauram

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 05:56:54 PM »
My mum used to work in Greeves mill with Minnie Watson from Berlin Street her husband Sam was a lay preacher, she had a sister who worked with them but I can`t remember her name.   

harrydunn

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 08:34:14 PM »
Rocky Burns actually lived in the first house in Silvio Street a lot of people think that Berlin St ended at Matchett St when in fact Silvio St started three doors down between Paris St and Matchett St, The Wee House Pub was on the corner of Weir St and Berlin St. I can remember a small child knocked down and killed by a lorry at the corner of Paris st,I can still see the father carrying the poor we souls white coffin the child lived in Paris St, I dont remember a house selling drink in the street but i can remember taking a can to one of the houses very near Rocky's house for fresh milk or buttermilk.I lived in Brussels St up till 1962.

Janty

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 11:29:35 PM »
Grew up in this street early 70s,would anyone have pics or old stories from the street,would be intrested to hear & or see.

Looking up Berlin St

cooleman

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 07:35:23 PM »
I take it that is taken from the road with the church & the berlin visible.Great Photo.

forever_a_shankill_girl

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 08:30:22 PM »
I take it that is taken from the road with the church & the berlin visible.Great Photo.

The wee boy is standing looking down Wilton St which was facing Berlin Street.

markinbelfast

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 05:19:01 PM »

forever_a_shankill_girl

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 11:03:51 AM »

Looking at that first photo makes me want to go home  :( :(