Author Topic: Berlin Street Shankill Road  (Read 7099 times)

darin

Re: Berlin Street Shankill Road
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 04:24:22 PM »
 I WAS POSTMAN FOR THAT AREA IN THE EARLY 70S. THERE WAS ABOUT 6 GUYS THAT WOULD WAIT FOR THEIR GIROS, GET THEM CASHED IN THE WEE HOUSE AND STAY THERE ALL DAY GETTING [censored].    DARIN

seivy

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 06:14:44 PM »
On my very first trip to Belfast i ended up in Rocky,s company he was some man. I am sure the second time i was over and met him he and his mate were wearing Light blue blazers with Rangers crests on them, that would have been about 1972.

mrs mourinho

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 08:53:40 PM »
Hendy was this a pub or a house in the street,the house i grew up in was known as a place to call to get a drink.Although i have no memories of people calling its something i have been told about,my grandfather who owned the house was partial to the odd drink he went by the name of Rocky Burns.

awk i remember lily n rocky burns well  :D
always look on the bright side of life

mrs mourinho

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 08:55:25 PM »
does anyone remember the silver jubilee in berlin street  :D

harrydunn

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 09:02:06 PM »
I remember The Silver Jubilee but never in Berlin St it was in Silvio St corner of Matchett St.

Rocky Burns lived in first door Silvio St, just love a clever dick :scratch_ones_head: :scratch_ones_head:

mrs mourinho

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 09:05:25 PM »
were did berlin street end  :unsure:

harrydunn

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 09:36:37 PM »
were did berlin street end  :unsure:

At Rocky's door three doors down from Matchett St, must say most people think it ended at Matchett St, but if you are familiar with the area you will remember the houses from Paris St corner to Silvio were of newer brick i think this may have been demolished and rebuilt at sometime.

seivy

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 10:16:10 PM »
There was a fella who drank in the same pub as Rocky i cant for the life of me remember his nick name but i am sure he was an old boxer ,he punched me on the arm and i kid you not for three hours i had to use my left hand to hold my pint it was the hardest punch i have ever felt. Sad to say you dont get characters like them now.

darin

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2010, 02:06:11 PM »
i rember the silver jublee well i was in it every friday & sat night with members of the band i was in , britannia flute. we had a great sing song, with brian wallace on guitar. big matt thompson big hutchy,doc finaly,blinker lesley,don lesley and many others. the place was packed this was around 1970 to about 1974.

our bobby

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2010, 04:48:09 PM »
Was Matt Thompson a coalman?

jimbov

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2011, 12:11:29 PM »
TO JANTY FANTASTIC PHOTO that picture looking up berlin st is taken at the top of Wilton st THE KID IN THE PICTURE IS MY KID BROTHER  ha ha ha i never thought i'd see that picture here Cheers   ::)
"The problem with you, son, is that all your brains are in your head" ( Shanks )

edrite

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2011, 04:28:17 PM »
shipmates many years back with "Big Bobby Stevenson" Berlin st  area ,wed Amy Gouldie ,Bobby was a Great Accordian Player. Also Bobby Crowe, Long time back.But good memories  .Eddie Wright

kelvinboy

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2011, 11:30:20 PM »
Rocky Burns....legend!
YOU CAN TAKE THE BOY OUT OF SANDY ROW, BUT YOU CAN'T TAKE
SANDY ROW OUT OF THE BOY!

Carolham

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2021, 12:44:01 PM »
I remember the wee house my daddy jackie Hamilton drank there and berlin lizzie Thompson