Author Topic: rathcoole exiles  (Read 3998 times)

stickyra

rathcoole exiles
« on: January 18, 2009, 09:05:54 PM »
This is not meant to stir the s'it but in the early seventies thousands of people left rathcoole for obvious reasons.  Many landed in and around the Antrim Road area.  Most of my friends were Rathcoole exiles, one eventually became my wife.  She came from Dunloy Gardens.  Any comments?
Ní bheith mo leithid aris ann

olelad

Re: rathcoole exiles
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 10:48:23 PM »
knew afew who moved to craigavon back then.

St.Anthony

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 11:01:41 PM »
I had two uncles who lived in Rathcoole and I loved getting the bus in Smithfield where I was from and visiting them. My cousin lived in Derrycoole Way and had a bicycle and I would peddle round the footpaths and because I wasn't local I got the wee girls attention.  My uncles were forced to leave in early seventies.

cooleman

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 05:38:24 PM »
I work with a girl who sadly was forced from the estate i call home,she still has fond memories of growing up in rathcoole & still calls into see neighbours who became close lifelong friends.I myself was a exile from twinbrook although cant remember much as i was in the womb at the time.

Hopefully a thing of the far distant past.

Headline boat man

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 10:57:13 AM »
And many people in rathcoole never moved out and still live there all through the troubles,but i agree many left the estate and it was poorer for it. I still love the place its home.

honestmay

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 01:41:15 AM »
hi i no rathcool well my granda live there also mervill garden village  i no quite a few folk from the rath ,its like everywhere else good parts  ,,,,,,,,,,but tboy i think u have a nasty  mind or maybe just u a nasty person help me out here .

Sean T Traynor

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 01:12:34 PM »
Apparently my maternal Grandmother, Alice McMaster, lived at Eastway on Rathcoole in the seventies till she passed in 1982. Being rehoused there from the development of the motorway junction at Greencastle.

Also an Uncle, Harry McClean/Maclean may have lived on Rathcoole.
Traynor/Trainor, McDade/Daid of Carnsampson, Kirkwood of Portglenone, Nummey & McKee of The Commons, Newry.  McKee & Warnock of Armaghbrague, Jemphrey

paddywack

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 10:18:42 PM »
 I remember geordie bingham a   ,   And the tanners    as well
Paddywack

dendar

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 12:37:30 AM »
hi anyone does anyone remember a girl caled hazel ferguson from rathcoole . she worked with me in cyril lords back in the 60's. i know a long time ago, but it would be nice if you know anything
regards
dendar

Tess

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 05:03:47 PM »
I had relatives there, some went to Canada and others to ballyduff!! Not much difference. The McGinns, Michael, Kathleen, Hugh and Mary. Would love to hear from them.

Brown low

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 06:34:34 PM »
I had relatives there, some went to Canada and others to ballyduff!! Not much difference. The McGinns, Michael, Kathleen, Hugh and Mary. Would love to hear from them.

The McGinns lived in Ardcloon Park, seen Hugh last year a real nice family.

Tess

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 07:14:25 PM »
Yes I knew Hugh lived up in ballyduff with his mum. She died in May this year and I am trying to get in touch with Hugh but don't think he is at that address now. I spent many a summer holiday with Kathleen in rathcoole. Her mum was my grans sisters daughter if that makes sense!!!

pajamo46

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 09:51:33 PM »
well honestly may you would be asking the wrong person if you were asking me to help you out,but i know a very lively old farmer with 10 acres just outside port n blagh who is interested ;)
Dont let this idiot get to you honestmay, his problem is the lively old farmer introduced him to backdoor farming if you know what I mean ;)

Brown low

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 08:44:37 AM »
Yes I knew Hugh lived up in ballyduff with his mum. She died in May this year and I am trying to get in touch with Hugh but don't think he is at that address now. I spent many a summer holiday with Kathleen in rathcoole. Her mum was my grans sisters daughter if that makes sense!!!

I think he is about Glengormley.

Budore

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 11:37:41 PM »

My first girlfriend was from Rathcoole. :-*

She was called Kathleen Mohan and she lived at 43? Deerfin Park.
We met at night-class in Bearnageeha.
I often wonder what happened to her.

B