Author Topic: Brown Square School, Belfast  (Read 7358 times)

plunkett

More Info...Maureen Crawford married to John William Dyer
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 05:10:01 PM »
Hello Nella and anyone else who can see this!   I have a little more information on Maureen Dyer nee Crawford family.  My cousin found this on the Australian Archives website:
 [size=0pt]DYER John William born 8 December 1942; Maureen (nee Crawford) born 7 July 1945; Kathleen Elizabeth born 16 July 1964; Joanne Maureen born 22 April 1967; John Glenn born 1 January 1970; travelled per aircraft departing UK on September 1971 under the Assisted Passage Migration Scheme.[/size][/b]
At least we know they moved to Australia in 1971 and she had 3 children.  Who knows if she stayed there or not!! Maureen's half-sisters and brother also live in OZ and have been trying to get more information since learning the Crawford/Dyer family also moved to OZ.  Every little thing might bring us closer to finding her.  Nella, you may even have been living somewhere close to them in OZ without knowing!!!  Wouldn't that be ironic!!!!  Wish I could check into schools; church records; etc., but we don't know where in OZ they ended up living so we have been searching websites/google in general all over the place. 

Cheers,
Plunkett

nella

Re: Brown Square School, Belfast
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 11:44:54 AM »
Hi Plunkett, just reading your post I remembered that Maureen"s birthday is the same as mine !! I had forgotten all about that !  I never knew that she was in OZ ! she left Belfast the year before me, and as you say,she could be anywhere here, it's a big country ! Let me know if you have any luck in finding her.  Good lock !!!!    Nella..

plunkett

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 02:16:10 PM »
What a coincidence Nella, for you to have the same birthday as Maureen!!  Guess we were mean't to connect regarding Maureen.  Hope our meeting on here leads to more clues.  Keep your eyes and ears open for the Dyer/Crawford name around your end of the world  ;)

Thanks again for responding.

Cheers, Plunkett.

arty mc

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 10:25:35 AM »
I attended Brown Square 1951 to 1956. I lived on Dayton Street. Remember Mr White but main memory is of a grim grey building. I have a class photo and often wonder "where are they now?"
[  ii was at  brown  st  school  at  the  time  when  mr stewart  and  mrs  henery  had  a secert  affair   it  was the talk off the  school.  We used  to keep our beedy  eyes  on  them,  i had  a  few  slaps  of  the  cane  off  mr  white as well,  he knew how  to  use it.  As did  mr  addis.  Another  good  teacher,, remember  jimmy  half  toe, mr  crieghton, by  the way  my  name  is   arthur  mc williams,  lived  in  cumberland  st,  my  older  brothers and  sisters  also  went  to brown  st, had lots  off  mates  from around  the  school,  roy  dugan  tom  emerson  sammy  leckie   danny  black  harry mc  closkie  to many to  remember  ,  all  good  lads happy  days /quote]

arty mc

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 12:01:10 AM »
I wonder if the Mr Stewart being referred to was Lesley Stewart who taught at Brown Square for many years and finished up as principal. He was a lovely little man and when I first met him in the late 1970's, he lived in Finaghy Road South with his wife, Jean, who also taught at Brown Square. Jean once told me that in their courting days they used to send little love notes to each other by pupil courier. Romance was alive and well in Brown Square! When Jean retired I believe that they moved to the Ballymena area.     
i was  in  mr stewards  class when  their  seceret  affair  was  going  on,  late  50s   mind  you  she  was  a  good  looker   i  think  all  the  boys fanicied  her,  mrs  henery  was  her  maiden  name  a  good  teacher.   Happy  memories,  by  the  way   my  name  is  arty  mc  williams  and  had  lots  off friends  around  brown  sq.  I lived   in  cumberland  st  ,dover st  end,  my  sisters and  brothers  all  went  to  brown st,   david    john  who  were  twins   mary  ena    john  played  football  for  the  school  team   somebody  will  remember  them.  Roy  dougan  was  one  off  my  mates  in  the  same  class as me  who  i  learned   on  the  forumn  had  sadly  passed away some  yrs  ago which  was  very  sad  to hear, r.i.p.  anybody  who  knew  roy  will  know  me,    to  many  to  mention,   i  now  live  in    bham  west  midlands  the  black  country  since  1962,  miss  the  oul  place  like  mad. Best  days off my  life    iam a  newbe  on  the  forumn  so  ill  keep  my  eye  anynews  of  intrest. :)

Brown low

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2015, 06:00:34 AM »
I attended Brown Square 1951 to 1956. I lived on Dayton Street. Remember Mr White but main memory is of a grim grey building. I have a class photo and often wonder "where are they now?"
[  ii was at  brown  st  school  at  the  time  when  mr stewart  and  mrs  henery  had  a secert  affair   it  was the talk off the  school.  We used  to keep our beedy  eyes  on  them,  i had  a  few  slaps  of  the  cane  off  mr  white as well,  he knew how  to  use it.  As did  mr  addis.  Another  good  teacher,, remember  jimmy  half  toe, mr  crieghton, by  the way  my  name  is   arthur  mc williams,  lived  in  cumberland  st,  my  older  brothers and  sisters  also  went  to brown  st, had lots  off  mates  from around  the  school,  roy  dugan  tom  emerson  sammy  leckie   danny  black  harry mc  closkie  to many to  remember  ,  all  good  lads happy  days /quote]

Anyone remember the Longridge family from Boyd Street?.

Jc

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2019, 06:52:01 PM »
I was at brown square from 1958 to 1962. Mainly in the "hall". Facing Henry's . The dinner hall was behind the hall. mr Reid taught me mostly. He was handsome. Lol. Mr Stewart was funny and Mr White was scary. I remember the following names. Elizabeth Brown, Richard Green, Joe Clarke, Hugh Phillips, Richard Pritchard, Ann Bennet.  Any other pupils out there x