Author Topic: Brown Square School, Belfast  (Read 7884 times)

CEEJAY

Brown Square School, Belfast
« on: December 03, 2006, 10:04:31 PM »
Anyone out there remember the headmaster Mr. White?. He was a gentleman. Mr Stewart was my class master and he told me that if I passed the 11+ he would eat his hat. Fortunately I proved him wrong but I never did get the opportunity to see him eat his words or his hat.

Would love to hear about other past pupils who attended Brown Square
in and around 1955/1956.

Hendy

Re: Brown Square School, Belfast
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 08:54:27 AM »
Anyone out there remember the headmaster Mr. White?. He was a gentleman. Mr Stewart was my class master and he told me that if I passed the 11+ he would eat his hat. Fortunately I proved him wrong but I never did get the opportunity to see him eat his words or his hat.

in and around 1955/1956.

My old mate William McCausland went there in the 50s, it was a drab looking place, well the whole area was.

billyjos

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 03:02:57 PM »
I WAS AT BROWN SQUARE SCHOOL AND I LIVED IN SACKVILLE STREET WILLIAM MC CAUSLAND WAS ONE OF OUR MATES HIS MA WAS BIG SALLY AND HIS DA WAS BIG ALFIE THEY LIVED IN CAMPBELL STREET SOUTH BESIDE THE OULE STARCH YARD M, HAVE YOU ANY PHOTOS OF THE ARCHES THAT WAS PUT UP AT THE TWELFTH  THEY WERE MADE ABOVE HARRYS BAR AT THE CORNER OF BROWN STREET BIG MAY BARR [MC KEOWN] DID ALL THE STITCHING FOR THEM; MR WHITE A VERY TALL MAN WAS SUCCEEDED BY MR STEWART WHO WAS A KEEN LINFIELD SUPPORTER ALSO MR RIED WAS MY TEACHER AS WELL THEY BOTH TAUGHT IN THE DINER ROOM FACING HENRY TAYLORS

billyjos

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 03:05:09 PM »

in and around 1955/1956.

johnnymac

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 08:27:45 AM »
I wonder if the Mr Stewart being referred to was Lesley Stewart who taught at Brown Square for many years and finished up as principal. He was a lovely little man and when I first met him in the late 1970's, he lived in Finaghy Road South with his wife, Jean, who also taught at Brown Square. Jean once told me that in their courting days they used to send little love notes to each other by pupil courier. Romance was alive and well in Brown Square! When Jean retired I believe that they moved to the Ballymena area.     

emjem

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 10:39:27 AM »
I attended Brown Square 1951 to 1956. I lived on Dayton Street. Remember Mr White but main memory is of a grim grey building. I have a class photo and often wonder "where are they now?"

billyjos

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 06:07:41 PM »
put your photo on

weeginge

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 10:06:08 AM »
my granda lived in the big red house in brown square/king street and my great gran lived in the 1st house in king st  :)

plunkett

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 02:42:20 PM »
Does anyone remember a girl called Maureen Crawford went to Browns Square School?  She was born 1945 but don't know the years she attended Brown Square.  Would apprecate very much if anyone remembers here and has any idea of where she is now.  Family would like to reunite with Mauren but so far have had no luck locating her.  Many thanks for any help offered.  Cheers!!  "Plunkett"

nella

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 11:37:35 AM »
A Maureen Crawford worked with me in Henry Taylor"s in Brown"s square in the late 60 s.I think she married a soldier. Sorry, it"s not much to go on !  Nella.

plunkett

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 01:42:29 PM »
Hello Nella!  Wow, it's so good to hear any news at all about Maureen.  She did marry a soldier and after that we have no record of her whereabouts.  So, that girl you worked with was indeed our half-sister.  It would be too much of a coincidence if it wasn't her.  Thank you so much for your response.  I will try to follow up by asking if anyone else remembers her from the place you both worked.  What kind of business was it?  It's at least a point to proceed from.  I don't suppose you both ever chatted about your families and the fact that she was adopted at birth by Herbert and Florence Crawford of Lime Street?  If you happen to bump into anyone from back in those days, would you please ask if they knew Maureen, if you wouldn't mind?  Again, thank you so much for your reply.

Cheers!

dimples45

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 06:10:15 PM »
nella ,i too worked in henry taylors late 60s i worked upstairs loved working there .my brother also worked there same time he worked downstairs , we must know each other..dimples

nella

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 11:12:17 AM »
Hi Plunkett,I"m sorry but I have no more info for you,I left Belfast in72 for Australia and havn;t been in contact with anyone from Taylors since. I do know that Taylors closed down and the factory was taken over by James Mackie. some time in the 70s.   Good luck,hope you find her.  Nella.

nella

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 11:17:13 AM »
Hi Dimples, Small world eh ?I too worked upstairs,on the top floor,I was a filler. I left in 1972 to come to OZ.
Now you have me wondering who you are !!    PM me if you want !   Nella.

plunkett

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 02:15:29 PM »
Hi Nella!  That's ironic 'cause Maureen's half sisters live in Australia too.  I left Belfast for Canada in 1972.  Thanks again for your feedback.  Cheers!