Author Topic: Belfast Orphanages  (Read 19404 times)

stickyra

Re: Belfast Orphanages
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 06:26:07 PM »
What does that mean?  ???

In those days any responsible looking mother could go into the orphanage and take a child out for the day or longer. (No RUC check - nothing!) My mother used to do it.  We would get a wee friend to play with for the day and we always had a great time.
Ní bheith mo leithid aris ann

glenb

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 06:28:19 PM »
Pussy Galore, what was confusing to you about my message???

We brought home a boy every year (we brought him home for the summer), it was a break and a charitable thing to do

Explain what was confusing about that message

pussy-galore

• Account Closed
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 06:32:12 PM »
Pussy Galore, what was confusing to you about my message???

We brought home a boy every year (we brought him home for the summer), it was a break and a charitable thing to do

Explain what was confusing about that message

I was only wondering what was meant by "brought a boy home" - i know nothing about orphanages, so i wanted to learn - hope you don't mind me asking.

glenb

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 06:42:00 PM »
Oh... Orphanages is where children that either have been abandoned, or put up for adoption by  parent(s) that can't care from them, or in other cases taken away for care due to neglect. I'm surprised you don't know anything about them, there's many movies, books, topics are in the newspapers all the time...recommend you find out about them as it's a topic people should be aware of and help where you can...

stickyra

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 06:44:29 PM »
Glenb I think she understands the basic reasons for the existence of children's homes but she was genuinely wondering about taking kids out - she definately wasn't taking the p 'ss
Ní bheith mo leithid aris ann

pussy-galore

• Account Closed
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 06:47:36 PM »
Oh... Orphanages is where children that either have been abandoned, or put up for adoption by  parent(s) that can't care from them, or in other cases taken away for care due to neglect. I'm surprised you don't know anything about them, there's many movies, books, topics are in the newspapers all the time...recommend you find out about them as it's a topic people should be aware of and help where you can...

That, as you well know, is NOT what i meant - you think you are being smart in answering me like so - I DO know what an orphanage is - i do not know the ins and outs of the day to day running of them. Why are you so defensive?

pussy-galore

• Account Closed
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2009, 06:49:16 PM »
Glenb I think she understands the basic reasons for the existence of children's homes but she was genuinely wondering about taking kids out - she definately wasn't taking the p 'ss

Thankyou Stickyra - my question really WAS genuine.

Andi

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2009, 06:55:56 PM »
Hi Glenb

I didn't realise either that families took children out for a while - I think it was a genuine query.  How generous too of families to do that  O0

glenb

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2009, 07:07:24 PM »
It was common across Belfast, Ardoyne people were well known for hosting them, in the summer you would have orphans living with various families, they got treated better than their us as they didn't get much over all in the home. They were very well behaved (unlike us), we also brought them home at Christmas, most of my Santa photos where with orphans....I intend to find Tony Bradley to see if he even remembers me and to find out what happened to him in life ...most of it has to be done via post due to confidentiality reasons and if the person themselves even want to talk about it

Also, some one mentioned Angela's Ashes...before I say anything recommend you ask the people in Limerick about that book, I'm an acquantance with one of the Brothers of the family, their father was a belfast man, think he died up in Lenadoon

Andi

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 07:17:35 PM »
Hi Glenb

It sounds as if there was a good community infrastructure if families were hosting the children from the orphanages  :)

It was me who mentioned Angela's Ashes - what did you mean by asking people in Limerick about the book?  Had they a particular 'feeling' about it and how it represented Limerick?  :)

danso

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2009, 07:36:16 PM »
It was common across Belfast, Ardoyne people were well known for hosting them, in the summer you would have orphans living with various families, they got treated better than their us as they didn't get much over all in the home. They were very well behaved (unlike us), we also brought them home at Christmas, most of my Santa photos where with orphans....I intend to find Tony Bradley to see if he even remembers me and to find out what happened to him in life ...most of it has to be done via post due to confidentiality reasons and if the person themselves even want to talk about it

Also, some one mentioned Angela's Ashes...before I say anything recommend you ask the people in Limerick about that book, I'm an acquantance with one of the Brothers of the family, their father was a belfast man, think he died up in Lenadoon
i see tony bradley every day

Andi

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2009, 07:50:27 PM »
Hi danso

Who's tony bradley?  Is he related to Frank McCourt who wrote Angela's Ashes?

danso

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2009, 07:53:28 PM »
Hi danso

Who's tony bradley?  Is he related to Frank McCourt who wrote Angela's Ashes?
he was in nazerath lodge seen his name mentioned on forum was just speaking to him on phone

Andi

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2009, 07:57:28 PM »
Sorry Danso - I get your drift now.  He's the person Glenb wants to contact - I was thinking at cross purposes  O0

Kateme

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2009, 07:58:28 PM »

Yes, Glen B, we had neighbors in Butler Street who took orphans out sometimes for the day, or week or whatever.  I remember one boy staying next door - very nice boy.  
“Government’s first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.”