Author Topic: Belfast Orphanages  (Read 21572 times)

glenb

Re: Belfast Orphanages
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2009, 08:33:56 PM »
Andi, yes they (Limerick People) had very strong opinions about the McCourts recollections, many in complete  disagreement

I suppose there's two sides to every coin and it depends on memories

stickyra

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2009, 08:37:49 PM »
Nowadays it would all be unheard of.  As a foster carer I cannot even let my kids stay in anyone elses house unless all over 18s in the house have Garda clearance.  Even regular vistors to our home, including great grandfather, have to be Garda checked.  Myself and my wife had to do two years training, assessment and preparation before they approved us!
Ní bheith mo leithid aris ann

Liz51

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2009, 08:43:40 PM »
Nowadays it would all be unheard of.  As a foster carer I cannot even let my kids stay in anyone elses house unless all over 18s in the house have Garda clearance.  Even regular vistors to our home, including great grandfather, have to be Garda checked.  Myself and my wife had to do two years training, assessment and preparation before they approved us!
I THINK IT IS BRILL WHAT YOU DO GOOD LUCK TO YOU & YOUR FAMILY FOR GIVING THESE CHILDREN HELP TO GET ON WITH THERE LIVE'S :)

Kateme

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2009, 08:47:39 PM »
Andi, yes they (Limerick People) had very strong opinions about the McCourts recollections, many in complete  disagreement

I suppose there's two sides to every coin and it depends on memories
I think my Dad told me that the McCourts lived in the country in Antrim at one time - he remembered them.  He read Angela's Ashes and it was his opinion that Mr. McCourt embellished things quite a bit.
“Government’s first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.”

glenb

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2009, 08:49:31 PM »
Your Father is probably right, but the Da was a Belfast man, again he died up around Andersonstown

Liz51

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2009, 08:53:46 PM »
Your Father is probably right, but the Da was a Belfast man, again he died up around Andersonstown
YEAH I HAVE THE DVD VERY SAD TO WATCH THINK THE DA LET THE FAMILY DOWN BIG TIME . POOR MAN DON'T THINK HE KNEW WHAT HE DID THE DRINK AGAIN

D H

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2009, 09:29:30 PM »
Hi D H

I haven't read it and, although I try to 'support' local writers, doubt if I will ever read it.  I tend to avoid the mis-lit genre mostly because there seems to be a saturation overall of such books.  I read Angela's Ashes years ago and don't think I've ever read that type of book again.  I can't comment on either your or Frances Reilly's experiences at Nazareth House but I can see you feel very strongly about the whole situation and hope things get

I wouldnt expect anyone who wasnt in N House to comment. You have to have been in N House to know what did and what didnt happen . My issues will soon be resolved
.D O Donoghue

twocoats

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2009, 09:38:29 PM »
Frank McCourt was born in Brooklyn in 1930. As he said in his book they must have been the only Family to emigrate from America back to Ireland.

His father was from the North, but remember he was born in Ireland when Ireland was all one Country.

He wrote the book from memory and I doubt that he embellished it too much. I am writing a book about my early childhood and my memories are not necessarily the same as my Mothers.

Having said that I must comment on the book vs. the movie. It is the first time I have seen a book and a movie so closely interacted. It may have to do with the fact that Frank was on the Movie Set or that the Director was able to truly relate the Limerick that Frank lived in.

All in all a great tale and I think that for the most part a true tale.
Homophobia, racism, sexism, bigotry and sectarianism is still alive..

stickyra

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2009, 07:55:51 AM »
I THINK IT IS BRILL WHAT YOU DO GOOD LUCK TO YOU & YOUR FAMILY FOR GIVING THESE CHILDREN HELP TO GET ON WITH THERE LIVE'S :)

Thanks for your support Rathbone

Eleanor

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2009, 10:09:55 AM »
Frank McCourt was born in Brooklyn in 1930. As he said in his book they must have been the only Family to emigrate from America back to Ireland.

His father was from the North, but remember he was born in Ireland when Ireland was all one Country.

He wrote the book from memory and I doubt that he embellished it too much. I am writing a book about my early childhood and my memories are not necessarily the same as my Mothers.

Having said that I must comment on the book vs. the movie. It is the first time I have seen a book and a movie so closely interacted. It may have to do with the fact that Frank was on the Movie Set or that the Director was able to truly relate the Limerick that Frank lived in.

All in all a great tale and I think that for the most part a true tale.

Good luck with the book Coats. My Mum watched all the TV programmes and listened to all the radio programmes about Angela's Ashes when it was first published. She told me that people in Limerick were incensed and felt that much of it was exaggerated. I don't care; it's a great book and the film was very enjoyable.
Hate the sin, but love the sinner

Eleanor

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2009, 10:10:52 AM »

I thought he came from Toomebridge, or was that his parents? :-\

stickyra

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2009, 10:21:11 AM »
He came from Randalstown and he was living in Lenadoon, west Belfast when he died

Eleanor

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2009, 11:31:11 AM »
He came from Randalstown and he was living in Lenadoon, west Belfast when he died

Ah! Thanks! :)

Kateme

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2009, 02:52:43 PM »
I thought he came from Toomebridge, or was that his parents? :-\
My father was from Toomebridge - as I mentioned, he remembered the McCourts - not sure if it was parents or children.  He didn't have a great opinion of them.
“Government’s first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.”

twocoats

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2009, 04:16:43 PM »
My father was from Toomebridge - as I mentioned, he remembered the McCourts - not sure if it was parents or children.  He didn't have a great opinion of them.

If you read the book and watch the Movie you will see that nobody had a great opinion of the McCourts. Both in New York and in Ireland. Even the Mothers side detested the Father.

That's what makes the story real. He didn't hide anything and didn't try to say that he or his Family were anything other than what they were. He told it as he remembered it, warts and all.

Homophobia, racism, sexism, bigotry and sectarianism is still alive..