Author Topic: Roslyn Street, off London Road, East Belfast  (Read 24728 times)

proofreader

Roslyn Street, off London Road, East Belfast
« on: January 28, 2009, 02:56:12 PM »
Anyone remember the Dowds family 10 Roslyn Street, I think?

herbie

Re: Roslyn Street, off London Road, East Belfast
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 12:58:54 AM »
I am very interested in hearing anything about the Dowds family proofreader.  My father's mother was a Dowds. 

Still trying to link up family ...   

Thanks

proofreader

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 04:35:47 PM »
The father's name was Eddie. Can't remember the mother's name. The three sons were named Robert, Billy and Edward. I'm absolutely convinced that one or more of the sons are still about Northern Ireland. The sons went to Nettlefield School off the Woodstock Road in East Belfast.

herbie

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 12:37:08 AM »
Thanks proofreader.  None of these names mean anything to me.  Still looking for a grandmother with a wooden leg -

Anyone else?? 

THanks.   

Belfast beau

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 12:48:36 AM »
Hi Herbie
Sorry to tell you Robert (Rab) is no longer with us Eddie and Billy are still on the go the three Dowds brothers all played football for St. Donard's FC.  However the Dowd's family belonged to Ravenhill Presbyterian church at the corner of Ravenhill Ave and Ravenhill Road. You might get some info from the church records, though they might not mention a wooden leg. Belfast Beau.;D   

proofreader

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 12:30:17 PM »
I went to Sunday school in Ravenhill Presbyterian Church known then as Ross's. So sorry to hear that Robert is no longer with us - he was the youngest in the family.

herbie

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 01:37:01 PM »
Thanks Belfast beau and proofreader for this information.  This could be a place to start at the Ravenhill Presbyterian Church. 

This family could be part of my family - not sure - my grandmother and father are long gone and I am in Canada.. 

This family may not have even known my Maggie Dowds (grandmother) with the wooden leg. 

I'll keep plugging on...   thanks for  your help.

Herbie

ravengirl

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 10:02:03 PM »

I can't for the life of me understand how all these folk went to Ravenhill Presbyterian Church & Sunday school and I don't recognise one single name!!! Maybe the dementia is further on than I think! ;)
Sure God created man before woman, but then again you always make a rough draft before creating the final Masterpiece.

laganbank

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 11:42:49 PM »
Hi Ravengirl,

Don't worry about it! I went to the Church and Sunday School, and I don't know anyone either. I vaguely remember a Dowds who was in the BB (I think). The only one I can remember from Roslyn Street was May Bailie.

Laganbank (ex Florida Drive)
Chambers, Shaw, Russell (all Banbridge), Slater/Sleator (Belfast/Co Armagh), McKaig (Belfast), Hanna(h) (Belfast), McClean (Belfast/Newtownards)

Belfast beau

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 12:09:52 AM »
Hi Ravengirl,

Don't worry about it! I went to the Church and Sunday School, and I don't know anyone either. I vaguely remember a Dowds who was in the BB (I think). The only one I can remember from Roslyn Street was May Bailie.

Laganbank (ex Florida Drive)
Hi Laganbank All the boys were in the BB in fact I think their father or Uncle was captain for a while Eddie worked in the Sirocco works as a welder? Billy was a spark, and Rab a motor mechanic. Belfast Beau.

herbie

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 02:21:56 AM »
What's BB??

Shylock

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 11:22:47 AM »
B.B. Stands for Boys Brigade!

herbie

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 01:56:07 PM »
Aah..  Boy's Brigade, is that like Boy Scouts??    Something voluntary?

I can remember my father saying he wore shorts to school - not sure if that was a uniform.  You didn't wear long pants until you were much older. 

That would have been in the 1920's.  I suppose things are different today. 

Shylock

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 10:40:35 PM »
Boys Brigade is similar to Boy Scouts only because it was a boys only 'club' wore a uniform and usually connected to a local church. I think there was more emphasis on living christian life in the BB as opposed to the scouts. there ws also a GB - girls brigade have a feeling iot used to be called GLB - Girls Life Brigade. I only know this as my sister was in GB and I was a girl guide who used to go out with a BB boy or two..reminds me of a campsong we used to sing.....Chorus goes something like
We ain't gonna camp no more, no more,
We ain't gonna camp no more,
We camped last year and the year before
And we ain't gonna camp no more
2nd verse:
The captain's got a Rover,
Leuitenant's got a Scout
The PSA have BB Boys -
The latest sellers out-
The seconds they have wolf cubs
and play with them like toys
And all was left for the poor Girl Guides
Was a bunch of teddy boys!

herbie

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 10:57:21 PM »
Thanks for that explanation on BB.  Sounds like it could have been fun.  Not sure if my father was in BB. 

Do you remember the boys wearing short pants in elementary school?