Author Topic: Roslyn Street, off London Road, East Belfast  (Read 24681 times)

Shylock

Re: Roslyn Street, off London Road, East Belfast
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2009, 11:03:56 PM »
G'Day Herbie,
 I've a feeling the boys didn't get to wear long pants till they started High School [secondary school?] that would have been around 11 or 12 yr old. Here in Oz all the boys [and men] wear shorts in the hot weather whether they're at school or not!! So the short pants were worn mainly by priimary school kids [which I guess is your elementary school] and girls used to wear ankle socks till they went to high school where they graduated to white knee high socks, here in Oz we NEVER see girls in knee high sox - way too warm for that! mostly they don't wear sox, or if they have to [for sport etc] its white anklet sox

herbie

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2009, 11:51:28 PM »
Exactly what my father told me about short pants.  You are having heat waves in Oz that we would kill for here in Ontario!!  No wonder no long pants.

So what was this area like on Roslyn Street, off London Road in east Belfast??  Did you live there yourself?

Shylock

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2009, 02:14:21 AM »
Exactly what my father told me about short pants.  You are having heat waves in Oz that we would kill for here in Ontario!!  No wonder no long pants.

So what was this area like on Roslyn Street, off London Road in east Belfast??  Did you live there yourself?

Hello again, Herbie, Sorry I lived in the Donegall Road area from approx '64 till '70 and then in the Holy Land Area [near Ormeau Road ]from approx '70 till '73 I wasn't familiar with the area much, tho I guess I wasn't that far away from it if you look at this map
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&tab=wl
not sure if the link will work but it might! if it doesn't. see if you can get back to the search page and type in the address, thats what i did.

herbie

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2009, 02:31:09 AM »
very cool looking at the map.  I found the Roslyn area.    By any chance is this the same general area as Copeland Street?

I am on a quest.. 

Shylock

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2009, 02:38:46 AM »
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=l&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Copeland+Street,&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=22.292885,36.914063&ie=UTF8&near=Belfast,+UK&ll=54.582011,-5.826874&spn=0.112218,0.288391&z=11
 back again, I typed in Copeland St, Blefast and it couldn't be found - maybe it no longer exists?? however I did get the info on the link listed above, check out the info on left side of screen as this may be what you're after??

Shylock

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 02:41:18 AM »
OK Herbie, I have to shoot through now, goin to friend's place to so some card making [my latest hobby!] so am hoping she's got the air-con going as we're forecast another hot day, tho it will be a LITTLE cooler.only 37!! bye for now,

herbie

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2009, 02:45:10 AM »
Shylock - you are very helpful!   I have been researching the 1911 census... I have found a Margaret Dowds and sister Agnes Dowds living on Copeland Street. 

So... trying to find where Copeland Street is ... must have been bombed out with Hazelnut St. is all I can decide.   

Hazelnut Street had family as well back as far as WW11.   

Can you tell me what part of Belfast Rosyln Street is located:  north, east, south, west...  ??   

The point of all this is trying to link up where the Dowds lived.    Thanks again..

Shylock

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2009, 05:02:51 AM »
Back again, Herbie,
 I went back to google maps and typed in Roslyn St Belfast Northern Ireland and came up with link:
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&tab=wl
I zoomed in and out of the site [made it bigger and smaller!] and figured if the map is printed with North as the top of the screen then Roslyn St is most likely south east from centre of Belfast. and lies between the Ormeau Road and the Moneyreagh Road in an area called Ballyhackamore. Hope this helps,

naumai

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2009, 06:13:20 AM »
Hi Herbie,roslyn st is in east belfast willowfield district,if you find ST Anthonys RC church on the woodstock rd,willowfield pde runs down the side of it,then cross rosbery rd,down imperial st,roslyn street runs right to london rd and left  to imperial drive,50 years ago there was roslyn st school,and the Emmanuel mission hall,run by a mr Proctor.  sorry shylock long way from the hack.  vaguely remember a  dowds family

Shylock

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2009, 12:51:30 PM »
Thanks for your corrrection, naumai -  I was just going by the google map, and as I mentioned in my post I'm not really familiar with the area at all. Its great that we can all throw in our 2 cents worth [maybe 2p??] and hopefully someone will have the answer we're after,

herbie

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2009, 01:27:25 PM »
You guys are the best.   Thanks for your help.

My one trip to Belfast in 2003, I took the Black Taxi Tour and wanted to see Hazelnut Street (no longer there).  The driver didn't know but did the logical thing - he called his Father on the telephone!! ... who remembered it from war times.

Belfast people are the most helpful, friendliest people in the world...   

Thanks again.

naumai

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2009, 07:28:50 AM »
very cool looking at the map.  I found the Roslyn area.    By any chance is this the same general area as Copeland Street?

I am on a quest..  Hi Herbie, from Mary Lennons site 1910.  copeland st from bankmore st to howard st,dowds living there then. hazelnut st .from mountview st to beechpark st.      mountview st is of manor st on oldpark rd but the area has been redeveloped,howard st runs up the side of the city hall and bankmore st is behind and paralel to ormeau ave,
so copeland st must have run between them, but not near roslyn st. cheers

herbie

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2009, 10:18:17 PM »
Wish I knew this area better.  Trying to picture these streets, even on a map, is not easy...

Thanks again

proofreader

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2009, 03:26:59 PM »
I think Cobourg Street ran down the side of Roslyn Street School and Copeland Street was nearby.

Names I can recall from the Roslyn Street/Cobourg Street area were:

Jackie Atwell, Matt. Heaney, Robert McCord, Jim Harvey and Calvin Jones.

A Billy   ? lived with his mum in the first house at the London Road end of Roslyn Street.

I remember affectionately Mr Proctor who preached in the Immanuel Mission Hall in Roslyn Street. A wonderful and good Christian man, never to be forgotten.

herbie

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2009, 12:39:17 AM »
proofreader, I love to hear memories from the past..   it's great for us so far away...

herbie