Author Topic: Roslyn Street, off London Road, East Belfast  (Read 24682 times)

kimig

Re: Roslyn Street, off London Road, East Belfast
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2009, 06:25:37 PM »
Whoa!!!! fell upon this site by accident or maybe fate. I lived in Imperial street for many years and still live in the area.. about 3 mins walk from Roslyn street. I have wonderful memories of the area. Great community spirit and no need to lock your doors!! All the neighbours looked out for each other. Mr Proctor was a wonderful wee man who all the local kids loved. I attended Emmanuel Hall and it is still open and serving the locals. Can remember lots of old neighbours the Keenans, taylors,  knoxs, finlays, wylies, kings. Iwas one of the Robb family.

Christopher

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2009, 08:27:08 PM »
Welcome aboard kimig,

Spread the word about the Forum on other sites that you use.

Don't forget to mention it to your friends, relations and neighbours too.

Christopher

Strath_Roy

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2009, 10:16:28 PM »
Hi Kimig,
I grew up in the area also. Didn't go to the Emmanual but remember Mr. Proctor and Mr Phillips. I married a girl from portallo St. who lived next door to the Proctors.
How about Mary's chip shop. Did you know Bendy Kelly?
The world suffers a lot.
Not because of bad people.
But because of the silence of good people.
Napoleon

naumai

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2009, 11:23:19 PM »
Whoa!!!! fell upon this site by accident or maybe fate. I lived in Imperial street for many years and still live in the area.. about 3 mins walk from Roslyn street. I have wonderful memories of the area. Great community spirit and no need to lock your doors!! All the neighbours looked out for each other. Mr Proctor was a wonderful wee man who all the local kids loved. I attended Emmanuel Hall and it is still open and serving the locals. Can remember lots of old neighbours the Keenans, taylors,  knoxs, finlays, wylies, kings. Iwas one of the Robb family.
   Aha,but which Robb.

Jon B

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2009, 02:17:25 PM »
I found the Roslyn area.    By any chance is this the same general area as Copeland Street?

It seems Copeland Street was attached to Bankmore St, from the 1907 street directory.
     http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/ccomplete1907_5.htm

That area is redeveloped, Bankmore st is now a huge fire station.
 It is inner south belfast, maybe a mile and a half from Roslyn street.

naumai

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2009, 06:29:30 AM »
g/day ,strath_roy,bendy Kelly died 10 or 15 years ago,he lost a leg and,he was pretty crook inside.  last time I was in Belfast Marys chippy was an indian takeaway .

billnl

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2009, 08:34:11 AM »
I had an old aunt who lived in Gotha Sreet and I seem to
remember a shop on the corner of Roslyn Street and Imperial Street
called Mollys.

Davy R

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2009, 11:47:59 AM »
That's right billnl, I lived a few doors up from Molly's (next door to the Emmanuel hall) in 1975 and used to get my bread and milk from there. There was a handy little chippy just around the corner where I would buy two chicken breast and chips with mushy peas when my girlfriend was too lazy to cook dinner.

kimig

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2009, 04:12:57 PM »
my dad was albert robb. i have two brothers and a sister.. robert , noel, and andrea. remember marys chippy well and its back to being a chippy again. no mushy peas though!!! mollys shop is closed down now and has been converted into houses. sadly molly passed away a few years ago but her husband brian is still alive. my husbands uncle lived next to mollys shop. billy gildea was his name. did anyone go to the youth club that was held in the old school in roslyn street? what about collecting wood for the bonfire? we used to put the wood against the school wall at the top of coburg street!!!

naumai

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2009, 06:30:06 AM »
Hi KIMIG,how are your mum and dad,keeping well I hope,wife askes what Robert has been up to all these years.

kimig

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2009, 12:31:56 PM »
hi numai, mum and dad both fine, they off to turkey to live in june. robert is a minister currently in limavady but moving soon to enniskillen to preach there. how you know us? did you live in area? maybe you know my hubby... brian gildea?

billnl

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2009, 06:10:57 PM »
Hi kimig, I know your husband although I knew his brother
Roy ( sadly no longer with us ) a lot better.

naumai

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2009, 05:43:43 AM »
Hi kimig,so your mum wont be giving me extra chips in cherryville st then next time we get there.   I remember her telling me Robert was going to be a minister,well if he is as good a man as he was a wee boy they will be glad they have him.

ulsterstan

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2009, 03:14:01 AM »
My Aunt Elsie and Uncle Billy Holly lived next to Proctors in the 40,s ,50,s  there was Charlie and Dorethy  , the kids.
Stan Sloan.

Kraffy

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2009, 05:02:29 PM »
My brother-in-law is Norman Dowds and he came from that area. He lives in Melbourne.