Author Topic: Phony Accents  (Read 14995 times)

Giannineo

Re: Phony Accents
« Reply #120 on: April 26, 2009, 03:56:26 PM »
Now Veronica, the highland Scots are amongst the most clear speaking of the English language...maybe not those from the Hebrides and certainly not Orkney...but the Invernesians rank along with Dubliners in speaking clear English...yeeeeo

Veronica

« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2009, 03:58:36 PM »
Now Veronica, the highland Scots are amongst the most clear speaking of the English language...maybe not those from the Hebrides and certainly not Orkney...but the Invernesians rank along with Dubliners in speaking clear English...yeeeeo
So Sorry G, I should have been more specific, I meant the small villages and towns...not the cities... :)
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetari

Giannineo

« Reply #122 on: April 26, 2009, 04:18:21 PM »
no problem Veronica....the accent changes every five miles around where I live...to me, the most gutteral and awful accents in Scotland are broad Aberdeen, Dundonian, parts of Fife and  broad Edinburgh.
   had a Chinese patient once who brought her Dundonian neighbour to assist translation...I got more out of the elderly Chinese lady than the Dundonian...here is a Dundonian  piece of speech..."Eh, gies a bridie and an ingin ane n' a'"..or this was said to me when I brought my Lab pup to a dog training class..."Noo, ken this yous new anes, they dugs disna ken onie thing at a ',ken, jist like bairns"....which means, " now ,know this you new people, those dogs do not Know  anything at all, you know, just like babies".

old wallion

« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2009, 06:32:19 PM »
I listened to Fr Brian Darcy this morning on Radio Ulster and he said he was gonna play Pearls a swinger, What a blunder it must have been his accent.  

teragram

« Reply #124 on: April 26, 2009, 07:52:51 PM »
I usually listen to him every sunday, missed it this morning.  There'll be plenty of listeners will let him know.  Sure he'd have a good laugh at that.
If you don't do it you won't get caught.