Author Topic: Help with Magee family please.  (Read 3221 times)

TrickyPaul

Help with Magee family please.
« on: February 02, 2009, 11:35:39 AM »
Can anyone give me some pointers to further my family tree? At this stage I cannot even find all of my maternal grandparents details. Here's the sorry tale.

My mum is Mary (May) Magee. She was born at 63 Sultan Street, Belfast on 3rd May 1921. She married my dad John Alphonsus Pimley in 1949 and in 1953 they moved to Southampton, England where they still live, aged 87 and 84.

She had the following brothers and sisters, all born in Belfast:
Patrick, eldest, captain in the army, died 23rd February 1972 in Blaydon, England.
Robert, next, worked on railways, died in Ayrshire, Scotland.
John, next, died in Belfast of TB aged 21.
Kathleen, next, died in Belfast.
Olive or Vera?, next died very young of TB, Belfast.
Martha Josephine, next, lived Ward Street, died 27th November 1982, Belfast.
Mary (my mum), youngest, lived Osman Street, still alive.

At this point the family tree on the Magee side goes cold!

My grandfather was Robert Magee. I know for sure that he died on 24th September 1955 at 63 Sultan Street, Belfast, aged 79. He was rumoured to have been born in Bolton, England but I cannot confirm this. He served as a soldier, possibly in the Khyber Rifles (cannot confirm). At some point he moved to Belfast and married Ellen Davey but I can find no marriage record. I cannot find a birth record for Ellen. She died 26th September 1955 (two days after Robert) aged 76. They definitely lived at 63 Sultan Street from 1921 to 1955, and probably earlier too.

Other than that I am completely stumped about the Magee side of our family.

Any hints or tips would be welcome.

Do the people of Glocca Morra wonder how things are here?

marrowbone

Re: Help with Magee family please.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 12:28:35 PM »
Civil Marriage
Date of Marriage 27 Nov 1899
Groom Name robert MAGEE
Bride Name ellen DAVEY
Church Belfast Roman Catholic Church
Parish Belfast Urban 6
Civil District Belfast
County Antrim

jp08

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 12:35:58 PM »
Please try to avoid giving details of living people!

My grandfather was Robert Magee. I know for sure that he died on 24th September 1955 at 63 Sultan Street, Belfast, aged 79. He was rumoured to have been born in Bolton, England but I cannot confirm this.

If you don't mind me saying so, you have plenty of information to work on. I wish I had so much detail for some trees I am researching!

If he was 79 in 1955 that means a birth in 1876 or thereabouts.

The 1881 England Census has a Robert Magee born about 1877 in Bolton. Father John. Mother Martha. But let's not jump the gun yet.

There is also a Robert Magee from Bolton, of the correct age, in the Royal Irish Rifles during WW1, which means he was living in Ulster. He was an iron moulder - so going by your earlier post - this is your man.

He was also living in 63 Sultan Street.

marrowbone

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 12:38:04 PM »
Surname Firstname Year Fathers Firstname county marriages
 MAGEE ROBERT 1899 JOHN Antrim
 MAGEE ROBERT 1899 JOHN Antrim

DAVEY ELLEN 1899 PATRICK Antrim

Surname Firstname Year Fathers Firstname county births
DAVEY ELLEN 1877 PATRICK .

possible birth
MAGEE ROBERT 1872 JOHN Armagh
find these on ancestryireland.com

jp08

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 01:05:25 PM »
The 1881 England Census has a Robert Magee born about 1877 in Bolton. Father John. Mother Martha.

Both John and Martha are from Ireland. John works in an iron foundry. That satisfies me that the person is correct - marrowbone has already established that Robert's father was a John.

There is more than enough information to go back another generation and spread out to siblings' families etc. However, much of the joy of genealogy is doing it yourself so I'll not spoil your fun!

TrickyPaul

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 01:59:44 PM »
However, much of the joy of genealogy is doing it yourself so I'll not spoil your fun!

Spoil it, spoil it!

I haven't slept for a month.

Thanks to both of you for your kind help. So, to conclude, do you think my Robert was born in Bolton about 1877 or Armagh in 1872?

marrowbone

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 02:23:28 PM »
Your guess is as good as mine, but theres is 2 entries for his marriage one of them might give you details of were he was born.

jp08

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 03:32:51 PM »
Spoil it, spoil it!

I haven't slept for a month.

Thanks to both of you for your kind help. So, to conclude, do you think my Robert was born in Bolton about 1877 or Armagh in 1872?

1877 is the correct date. You have no reason to suspect, at present, that he was born in Armagh - other than a coincidental match.

He thinks he is from Bolton and there is no prima facie reason to doubt that as yet. His siblings are also listed as coming from Bolton.

Once again, there is no genuine evidence to suggest he is from Armagh.

TrickyPaul

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 08:13:55 PM »
I have scoured all the records I can online (including Ancestry.com) but I am still floundering. Here is a recap of the problem:

My grandfather is Robert Magee. He told everyone he was from Bolton. His WW1 service record shows that he was born in Bolton in 1877 and his previous employment was as an iron moulder. His marriage certificate (married 27/11/1899 to Ellen Davey in Belfast) shows his father to be John Magee, an iron moulder. According to that marriage certificate Robertís age was ďfullĒ and Ellenís was 19. The 1881 census for England shows a John (27) & Martha (28) Magee living at 2 Tower Street, Little Bolton, Lancashire with their 3 children, John (6), ROBERT (4) and Martha (1).

I cannot categorically prove that the Robert Magee on the 1881 census is MY Robert Magee. I have tried (and failed miserably) to find birth records for the children born in Bolton with a father called John. By the time of the 1991 census the family have completely disappeared from all the records. Robert and his father John next appear in 1899 on Robertís marriage certificate.

Does anyone have a theory as to why the family appear in no records between 1881 and 1899? Also, what could explain the fact that I cannot find birth certificates for the children? Am I looking in the wrong places?

TrickyPaul

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 09:10:57 AM »
The problem has now been resolved. It was all down to the SPELLING of Magee. They were also referred to as McGEE and Mc Gee. That space means a lot when you are searching for a surname.

Grandfather Robert Magee is now sorted, now to find a date of birth for his father John McGee, born in Ireland and married to Martha Jane Irvine also born in Ireland.

Bolton born

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 11:23:44 PM »
My  grandfather John Magee lived in Delph St  Bolton and we sent and received Christmas cards from 63 Sultan Street. My dad Tom Magee worked in a foundry with hin pre WW1. Great uncle Paddy was a Captain and we saw him when he was a Regimental Sergeant Major at Berwick Barracks. I met Robert and family in Maybole Ayrshire a year or two before he died and he had  a daughter ? Roberta whose married name etc and I lost my note of. Sara Ann Magee hada son Ronald Hall and daughter Irene mother of Gillian Mary Georgina who has met May the Southampton relative. Please contact if you wish more. I'm sure we're same family   wwhrquote  =TrickyPaul link=topic=17612.msg313418#msg313418 date=1233574539]
Can anyone give me some pointers to further my family tree? At this stage I cannot even find all of my maternal grandparents details. Here's the sorry tale.

My mum is Mary (May) Magee. She was born at 63 Sultan Street, Belfast on 3rd May 1921. She married my dad John Alphonsus Pimley in 1949 and in 1953 they moved to Southampton, England where they still live, aged 87 and 84.

She had the following brothers and sisters, all born in Belfast:
Patrick, eldest, captain in the army, died 23rd February 1972 in Blaydon, England.
Robert, next, worked on railways, died in Ayrshire, Scotland.
John, next, died in Belfast of TB aged 21.
Kathleen, next, died in Belfast.
Olive or Vera?, next died very young of TB, Belfast.
Martha Josephine, next, lived Ward Street, died 27th November 1982, Belfast.
Mary (my mum), youngest, lived Osman Street, still alive.

At this point the family tree on the Magee side goes cold!

My grandfather was Robert Magee. I know for sure that he died on 24th September 1955 at 63 Sultan Street, Belfast, aged 79. He was rumoured to have been born in Bolton, England but I cannot confirm this. He served as a soldier, possibly in the Khyber Rifles (cannot confirm). At some point he moved to Belfast and married Ellen Davey but I can find no marriage record. I cannot find a birth record for Ellen. She died 26th September 1955 (two days after Robert) aged 76. They definitely lived at 63 Sultan Street from 1921 to 1955, and probably earlier too.

Other than that I am completely stumped about the Magee side of our family.

Any hints or tips would be welcome.
[/quote]

Loneygrandchild

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 01:46:44 AM »
Hi, some info that may of use to you:
Marriage info:
Robert Magee a moulder of 74 Raglan Street married Ellen Davey of 44 Balkan Street in St. Peterís RC, Belfast on 27.11.1899
Roberts father John a moulder
Ellen father Patrick
Witnesses: Joseph Cooney & Margaret Ann McLaughlin

Birth Cert info:
Father Robert Magee a labourer & mother Ellen Davey
Patrick Magee born 17.03.1902 Address 4 Balkan Street
Sponsor/informant Mary Lavery

Father Robert Magee a moulder & mother Ellen Davey
Veronica Magee born 30.03.1904 Address 9 Balkan Street
Sponsor/informant Ellen Magee

Father Robert McGee a labourer & mother Ellen Davey
Robert McGee born 16.02.1908 Address 14 Balkan Street
Sponsor/informant Ellen McGee

Children GRONI
1902 Patrick
1904 Veronica
1908 Robert
1911 Kathleen
1914 Martha

LGC
Dempsey Rooney McGivern Nolan Hughes O'Neill Bogue O'Hara Boyle Madden Donnelly Downey Fegan Foster Farr Sheils McCormack Gracey Gallagher McDowell

James James

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 02:10:14 AM »
Bolton born Have a bash on here, this is a thread about the street, lots of great pics of the street on there as well. http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,32246.15.html

Also worth having a word with the folks in this thread, which is a very active thread about a nearby area. http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,25900.9075.html

BTW, as suggested by the location and the marriage information above, would I be right in thinking that this is a Catholic family, religious denomination is always relevant to Belfast records.

Brian_87

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2019, 11:20:14 PM »
Any idea what Roberts siblings were called, I forget now but if its the same Roberta I'm thinking of then her husband was called Ian

Bolton born

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2019, 11:24:27 PM »
My paternal grandfather, John Magee foundry worker then v small grocer in small terraced house ' parlour' died a t65  in Bolton.Delph Street about 1942. His father lived in Adligton between Bolton and Chorley when not in Belfast. Moved to get work I was told. Both were in Boer war I believe and have a pair of old photos. My grandfather had about 7 children but only three sons were adults. Two Fred and Jim went Australia about 1920. Fred's sons  Gerard, Brian, Kieran still around in Australia. Jim had one girl Lynnette. "Great aunt Miah " married Tom Barnes and had  adaughter Myra. Myrah's (m. name Eckersley) her married daughter Pauline Hooey lives in Morecambe still I believe.
His siblings: Sarah-Ann,  Ezemiah,, Paddy, and Robert.