Author Topic: Help with Magee family please.  (Read 3220 times)

Brian_87

Re: Help with Magee family please.
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2019, 11:49:01 PM »
Hi Bolton born, thanks for the reply, however I have noted the mistake in my previous post so il rephrase. You mentioned that you met Robert Magee in Maybole and he had a daughter (Roberta) can you recall any of her siblings names or her husband. The Roberta I have in mind had a husband called Ian, who I remember was a big guy with dark hair

Bolton born

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2019, 10:25:45 AM »
Brian 87. I believe Roberta was an only child of Robert and married  after or close to when he died. Will try to find dates. Her and husband were going to visit us but didnt. Lost contact and found they had moved from Maybole house. She was friendly mainly as a correspondent with Ronnie Hall bachelor cousin son of Sareh''ann Hall. Will write to Gillian Mary Georgina his niece. She lives near Southampton and met May Pimley.  What is your relationship to the Magees. i think  Great uncle Paddy had 2 grandsons sons when his son ?Gerard died young. His wife remarried  I was told, are you one of his grandsons?

Brian_87

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2019, 10:47:37 AM »
Bolton born. No I'm not one of paddy's grandsons. Robert had a sister named Kathleen and I am her grandson. I remember when I was younger my granny's sister May came over from Southampton to visit her, I believe this to be may pimley but am unsure of her married name. You may be correct about Roberta being an only child, when we visited her we met two other women named Ellen and Moira who I thought were Roberts other daughters. I was only around 10 at the time but they were definitely related to Robert somehow. I have tried to contact May's son Paul to confirm the Southampton connection but he is yet to reply to me. What is your connection

Bolton born

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2019, 11:56:57 AM »
Brian 87..JMy grndfather John Magee, was a son of a John Magee who appears to have moved back and forth for work from Adlington and N Ireland  then stayed there. HIs siblings known to me were Paddy, Sara Ann known as Sar'an, Ezemiah and my grandfather lost touch with Robert. In the 80s my husband Jim Gray and I living in Scotland got his address from one of the family and made contact. Johns wife, my grandmother, was Mary nee Holden. They had family of 3 boys Fred, Jim and Thomas my father who survived also. ?Irvine , twins and  daughter i think who died in infancy. TOM my father and my mother Agnes nee Matthews had Dorothea and  myself.Mary. Great Aunt Ezemiah (Myah to me as a child) lived in Doughill st Bolton with husband Tom Barnes and only surviving child Myrah (married name ?Eckersley). They lived for a time in Horeb st Bolton near my sister Dora and family in adjacent Nebo st not far from Grandma' and grandad Magee in Delph St.on the Wigan side of town. They moved to Morecambe to run a bed and b when her husband Bert retired young from Bolton Fire Brigade. He suffered smoke damage.They had a girl Pauline and a son I think might be called Ian. When I last heard from Pauline she was married and in Morecambe.
We exchanged Christmas cards with my dad Tom's grandad at 63 Sultan Street for many years from 17 Halliwell Rd Bolton. That's how I knew the address.

Brian_87

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2019, 12:04:09 PM »
Bolton born. I know pretty much nothing beyond my grandmother (Kathleen) other than her parents lived in sultan Street. It appears they all scattered and never kept in touch with each other

Bolton born

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2019, 01:10:45 PM »
Brian 87 We did keep in touch by cards  an odd visit or two and notes... Remember cost of travel:very few had cars or phones in those days.World war 2 started September 1939. Communication and money wasn't so easy!. Paddy visited Bolton to visit us, Miah and his brother John a few times. We visited Berwick Barracks when i was 4 or 5 and stayed with his family in their flat over the drill hall once.  Harry Potter scenes were filmed there much later! .   Saran and husband, a train driver between London and Newcastle, lived in Goole Yorkshire . Their son Ronnie had a gruelling war working on constructing the Burma rd in very hard conditions. Came back to visit still youngish but thin, bald, ill-looking and yellow from the anti malaria pills they were stuffed with. He had a lot to do with planning the building of the postwar new town of Cowley near Oxford. When working in in London we went to Gillian his neice's wedding. My husband worked in Cheltenham for a few years and we saw a bit of Ronnie then as Oxford was only about 50 miles away and we had a car by then. He went back near to Goole on retirement.
Probably last time Paddy went to see his dad in Sultan St was when latter was quite old . Paddy told us of a big fright he'd had.  During the visit he'd gone to mass. Coming out of the church he was surrounded by a large group of very threatening protestant youths who, luckily, started arguing over whether to beat him up or not. They were unsure because though they'd seen him leave the RC church,  he was in a British army officer uniform and they feared reprisals! He'd had a bad scare and lucky escape.  He said he didnt think he'd go back for a while. At one time, they brought a lovely little boy, from his wife's family I think, back to live with them. He was known as " wee Jackie Rice". Dont know what happened to him. I'm 87 now born in Bolton ,living in Scotland but still cherish our Irish roots. Husband Jim was Scottish and described us as a 'decent mixture'. Sadly he died at 84 in 2010.

Brian_87

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2019, 01:31:43 PM »
Bolton born. Thank you for sharing its nice to make connections and hear things from the past. Sadly the only siblings of my granny's I got to meet were Robert and May, My mum used to talk about paddy although I never heard that story about him coming out of mass. Sounds like he did have a lucky escape but I can't say I'm surprised that it happened given the history of northern Ireland. I lived in Belfast my whole life until a few years ago I'm now living in Larne just about 20 miles away on the North East Coast. My mu. Passed away a few years ago leaving me with some unanswered questions, which has led me to this whole family tree thing