Author Topic: remember Inglis Bakery belfast.  (Read 65597 times)

gerard

remember Inglis Bakery belfast.
« on: February 03, 2009, 09:47:14 PM »
anybody got any old photos of inglis breadvans or photos of the bakery from the 60,s or 70,s or before it closed

gangsta princess

• Account Closed
Re: remember Inglis Bakery belfast.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 10:45:56 PM »
Not sure when this photo was taken though.

gerard

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 05:28:28 PM »
 O0thanks i think this photo would be about 1980 and by the looks of it,it.s a sunday

bhelena

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 09:58:08 PM »
O0thanks i think this photo would be about 1980 and by the looks of it,it.s a sunday
Its amazing that everthing used to close on a Sunday now its one of the busiest

bhelena

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 10:02:08 PM »
Its amazing that everthing used to close on a Sunday now its one of the busiest
What I meant to say was it was amazing that everthing used to close on Sundays now its one of the busyest shopping days of the week everywhere...

stickyra

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 10:22:03 PM »
What I meant to say was it was amazing that everthing used to close on Sundays now its one of the busyest shopping days of the week everywhere...

And drinking days  O0
Ní bheith mo leithid aris ann

bhelena

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 10:23:37 PM »

And drinking days  O0
They were dry days in our house O0

mr bluesky

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 11:03:52 PM »
anybody got any old photos of inglis breadvans or photos of the bakery from the 60,s or 70,s or before it closed
    If you go to page 10, and look in the topic Omar st there is a picture you might like. :)
IF AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED. .CHEAT!!!

gerard

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 10:38:53 AM »
nice one thanks mr bluesky its a pity cound,nt see it all just to get the fleet number i wonder what year?

gerard

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 03:41:47 PM »
 :)i would be greatful with all the help i can get with this site,here,s what i know just in case you don,t JAMES INGLIS @ CO started his bakery business in 1871,then building a new factory of 35,000 sq,ft, in 1882 on eliza street belfast market district which was again extened in 1889 to cope with demand. in 1910 JAMES INGLIS opposed an extension of the city,s gaswork,s along with some other business owners from the market district and the idea was scrapped.in the 1930,s he aquired several smaller bakeries such as,BLOOMFEILD BAKERY,THE ROYAL BAKERY,McWATTERS BAKERY, PATERSON,S BAKERY,CITY BAKERY,McCOMBS BAKERY,later to become MILANDA BAKERYand T.P.WILLIS BAKERY of NEWRY.INGLIS BISCUIT FACTORY, opened on the newtownards road i think in the early 60,s anyone know? the bakery was taken over by the J.ARTHUR.RANK GROUP not sure what year which also owned the RANK FILM GROUP,RANK HOVIS McDOUGAL flour mill,s CEROBOS SALT, E.T.GREEN,S flour mills and the MOTHER,S PRIDE BREAD GROUP IN ENGLAND.it was reported in the 60,s that INGLIS BAKERY had the largest fleet of breadvan,s in the united kindom.the bakery according to record,s closed in 1978 and moved to the then state of the art bakery MILANDA, on the boucher road i hope this has been some help if you can add anything please do so thank,s

Montrose

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 04:35:35 PM »

The Inglis Factory was in Bread Street off the Newtownards Road my sister worked there in there in 1951...I dont know when it was built, but it was before 1950.... :)
Montrose

"I've learned that the people you care most about in life, are taken from you too soon, and the real pains in the ass are permanent. "

spot

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 04:42:55 PM »
nice one thanks mr bluesky its a pity cound,nt see it all just to get the fleet number i wonder what year?

the photo you looked was taken at the start of july 1970 during the falls curfew :)
Spot

Dub

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 05:03:13 PM »
Hi Gerard. I was the last production manager in Inglis. I left end of Sept 1977 to take up a position in a large Dublin Bakery. Some of the Staff moved to Milanda . I was supposed to be the new production manager there but the old political situation at that time made me decide to move on. I still  go north to meet up with a few of my old friends from then, every December. They were the men when I was the boy. Some of them have passed on this last few years, but we still recall old stories and some great characters.
                                        All the best, Dub.
If you don't read the papers you are not informed.
If you do read the papers you are misinformed.( Mark Twain.)

gerard

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 05:09:31 PM »
 :)thank,s montrose good to hear that i remember going there on a school trip in the early 60,s to see round the factory and it looked new then free goodies on the way out great.

gerard

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 05:25:29 PM »
hello dub. thank's for that i left school in 68 and went right to work as a vanboy in inglis early start,finish early,monday off what else could you ask for and the money wasn't bad either and at just 16 they were the day's my late father also worked there and my late grandmother also worked there for 43 years must be a record up until she retired  :)