Author Topic: RANKS FLOUR MILL - BELFAST  (Read 8424 times)

Thomas Leary

Re: RANKS FLOUR MILL - BELFAST
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2007, 11:38:30 PM »
G'day, mate (as they say in Australia).
Rank Hovis still does exist (and according to its Website it owns some Belfast bakeries) and the mill IS Demolished . I saw that on another website. That particular website shows a tanker with a cargo of molasses by the mill. That reminded me of an amusing thing that happened. Someone once had the idea of bringing in pellets for animal food which contained molasses. Good idea - but like many good ideas it worked not! The hold heated during the journey  and so we had to send down men with pickaxes to dig the "pellets" (which had fused together)  out.
I have a picture at home of Ranks' employees and I will look it out in New Year (I am working "flat out" at present). One employee (who must have been there in the 1940s) I particularly remember. His name was Alf Ambrose and he was the father of a teacher I had in Secondary School.
Will be interested in more information and i will try to remember more myself. Thomas

adrienne1

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 07:22:31 AM »
Hello there,

I would be very interested in any photos you may have of Ranks employees around the late 1930s and early 1940s as I am trying to trace any info. about my father James McCormack/McCormick/Mallard.

Many thanks.

Adrienne

janetroy114

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2015, 01:40:35 AM »
Does anyone know the Hughes family from Hughes Dickenson & Co.? I am looking especially for the daughters. I am aware of Dorothy and Helena. I think Helena died a spinster in England. Does anyone know about Dorothy or if there were other sisters?  I am working on a case of Canadian Private Leslie James Hughes who would be their brother. Thank you.  Janet Roy Forensic Genealogy Coordinator MacKinnon & Bowes Ltd. Toronto, Ontario, Canada

colin randell

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2017, 12:07:56 AM »
Does anyone know the Hughes family from Hughes Dickenson & Co.? I am looking especially for the daughters. I am aware of Dorothy and Helena. I think Helena died a spinster in England. Does anyone know about Dorothy or if there were other sisters?  I am working on a case of Canadian Private Leslie James Hughes who would be their brother. Thank you.  Janet Roy Forensic Genealogy Coordinator MacKinnon & Bowes Ltd. Toronto, Ontario, Canada
HI janetroy this could be hard Barney Hughes came from Armagh in the 1830,s now I started to dig to see if they ever returned to Armagh   but couldn't get anything on them Sorry no help Hughes left Armagh because of a potato famine

richard mccann

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2017, 06:16:43 AM »
chevron -  I worked at Hughes and Dicksons fom 1958/61.The names I remember are mc guigan ,morgan, mayes, maguire, moutray, mc kenna, mc carthy, mc erlean,meechan,mc clune,murphy,boylan,hamilton,rooney ,hyland hughes,and hamilton. I left for Australia in Feb 61. Rmc

JackM

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2017, 01:00:42 PM »

A photo of Ranks `Pacific Flour Mill` in Belfast. Photo was taken late 1970`s
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

JackM

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2017, 01:04:57 PM »

Another view taken in 1973
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

Luther Blissett

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2019, 08:34:47 PM »