Author Topic: RANKS FLOUR MILL - BELFAST  (Read 8459 times)

adrienne1

RANKS FLOUR MILL - BELFAST
« on: December 08, 2006, 05:34:02 PM »
Could anyone tell me whether Ranks Flour Mill is still in existence.  I believe my father James McCormick/McCormack may have worked there in the late 30s to early 40s.

Many thanks

Adrienne

chevron

Re: RANKS FLOUR MILL - BELFAST
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 06:23:57 PM »
Hi Adrienne, I do not know if Ranks is still in Belfast, but
their web page is [email protected]       or type in your address bar rank hovis and a lot of their pages will come up, you may have to write to London to find if they still keep records. I did some research a few years ago if I find my old note I will see what I have and post them later.
Bert

giannineo

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 06:51:22 PM »
Was there a Ranks Mill near King Street?I remember my late brother in law did contractual work as an electrician in a Ranks Mill.A hopper of floue emptied itself on him and his mate.Not a great experience  and a difficult job he had there.But he always quipped that the dough was good.

adrienne1

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 11:15:22 PM »
Many thanks to you both.

Adrienne

rjl

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 01:01:36 AM »
ranks flour mill was in the docks area around victoria street

Christopher

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 03:01:16 AM »
The 1960 Directory lists ...

J. Rank, Ltd., Pacific Flour Mills, 5, Northern Road off Duncrue Street. Pollock Basin, the Harbour sheds and the Berthing Masters Office were next to the Mills. There was an I. T. L Cafe not too far away. Giannineo, you are thinking of James Neill, Ltd., flour mills, 1, College Place North.

grendelkiller

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 02:31:53 PM »
Ranks flour mill was demolished 4 months ago.  Built in 1934 it was situated in Clarendon docks.  It was a grain silo which supplied raw materials to such as wheat barley maize and milling wheats to companies such as John Thompson york street and James Neill as mentioned.  if you want a photograph e mail me at

[email protected]

Grendel is dead.

grendelkiller

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 02:35:21 PM »
Duncre road is also correct.  When i mention Clarendon dock i mean the body of water where the ships were discharged...also known as pollock dock   ;D
Grendel is dead.

adrienne1

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 04:56:46 PM »
Thanks Bert,

I would be interested in any list of employees around the end or the beginning of the 1940s.

Adrienne

EllCee

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 08:30:21 PM »
"There was an I. T. L Cafe not too far away"

Great breakfasts, packed with cholesterol  . but soooooooo tasty at 7.30am on a cold morning.

"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

grendelkiller

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 08:36:50 PM »
thats a difficult one adrienne1 i could probably get you a list from recent years....many of the men who worked there were there for over 20 years.  but i do not know how this would help unless it is possible that firstly they overlap in working years with the older workers and secondly actually contacting these men.
Grendel is dead.

chevron

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 10:50:05 PM »
Hi Adrienne.You might try the following<><> RHM Pensions Association.
Northern Ireland Region<> Regional Co-ordinator-James H McEihinney
1 Woodlawn ,Antrim BT41 1QH  Tel. No.028946 2433. I wrote to this chap 2004 to try and trace an old friend who worked with me at Hughes Dicksons on Divis St. part of Rank Org. unfortunately Joe did not receive a pension so there was no record of him. I do not know if James is still at that address but if your Dad received a pension or someone might have known him he will inform you. Good Luck
PS I have been trying to find old information on Hughes Dickens 1925, there was a web page about them but it seems to be pulled, any idea's I worked there also my Dad and G.Uncle James was the Manager,after he retired the mill was closed abt 1962
Bert

adrienne1

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2007, 07:30:48 AM »
Thank you Chevron, its worth a try.

Adrienne

Thomas Leary

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 11:48:46 PM »
I live in Australia BUT I worked at Ranks in the period June 1954 to 30th November, 1964.

I am trying to compile information about my early life for my family. I remember Hughes, Dickson Mill also the Cafe that was mentioned (I occasionally went there to get something to eat. As far as I know the Pacific Flour Mills closed a long time ago BUT the Silos remained for a lot longer - BUT all now demolished. So any infromation about Joseph Rank would be useful to me.

Thomas

chevron

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 03:29:33 PM »
Hi Thomas. Did you try the Rank web site I posted in one of the previous notes? As stated I worked at Hughes& dicksons  Divs Street until 1956 left to join RAF after H&D closed 1960 1961 a lot of the workers moved to Ranks at the docks. Did you know  a  Willie McClure Foreman also a guy I have been looking for named Joe Beattie? they moved to Ranks from H&D along with a lot more. If Rank's are still in operation in England I'm sure they will give you any information you require.
Please let me know if you get any information on the above.
Chevron