Author Topic: Endangered Species. Banshhees and Leprechauns  (Read 2520 times)

MAgeeka

Endangered Species. Banshhees and Leprechauns
« on: December 09, 2006, 05:54:33 AM »
Where have all the Banshees and Leprechauns gone ?
In the fiftes and sixties there was one on every other block in Belfast.  Not mention the cloven hoofed guy who appeared, at street card games.
What brought about their demise ?
Perhaps the troubles ?

Christopher

Re: Endangered Species. Banshhees and Leprechauns
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 06:00:33 AM »
I don't know much about those characters but there are some fine looking Colleens among our members :D

MAgeeka

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 06:06:19 AM »
Chris I believe you
 I have only seen Colettes photo and she is a delicacy
Need more photos to wet my appetite

Christopher

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 06:09:04 AM »
There's one of Marianne (mreid), one of Mary and one of Val (taggart 009) She was Queen for the Day at the Lord Mayor's Show in the 60s see: ... Re: Belfast Beauty Queen in the Rose of Tralee contest

MAgeeka

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 06:24:02 AM »
Ummmm
Where are they posted Chris ?

greyghost

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 09:17:09 AM »
The last story I have of a Banshee in Belfast was the night before
Robert McGladdery was hanged in Crumlin Road Gaol in Belfast,  On December 20, 1961: He was the last person to be executed in Northern Ireland, for the murder of Pearl Gamble in Newry.
A banshee was heard wailing from the Shankill through to Ardoyne and down The Crumlin to Peters Hill. It started about 10 pm and continues off and on till midnight.

Not sure of the truth of it, but it's a good tale.
Dorothy O'Donnell (nee Simmons)
www.odos-photos.com

MAgeeka

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 05:33:46 PM »
You are right on G.G
I remember the hanging and the  Pearl Gamble case
Can  you remember the ghost of the M.1 motarway ?

Christopher

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 06:21:25 PM »
A guy named Bill Percival-Price who was at school with me in the early 50s gave that ghost a lift. If I'm right it was the ghost of a young woman. 

giannineo

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 06:30:31 PM »
Aye,the M1 ghost.Was it reported that she thumbed as lift ,the car would go cold and then she vanished?.I had forgotten about it and I may be off the mark.

MAgeeka

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2006, 07:08:38 PM »
You are dead right on that G.

arkie

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2006, 08:13:52 PM »
wasnt there a unity st. ghost?

eddiec

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2006, 08:51:12 PM »
They emigrated to Tasmania
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>

MAgeeka

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2006, 09:58:46 PM »
Arkie
Don't know if there was

eddiec

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2006, 10:02:31 PM »
  Belfast Ghosts
The ghost of a well-known gentleman was said to haunt his office in a leading street. After his death he was often seen walking about his office, coming to the window and looking out into the street.
Another Belfast ghost was a horseman, not headless. Punctually at midnight three blasts from a hunting horn were heard. The horse disappeared from its stable and was found afterwards covered with mud, as if after a wild journey. It was said this ghost was laid by a minister who then became a bishop. He ordered the ghost to wriggle into a bottle, and the bottle was banished to the Red Sea!
But the most famous Belfast ghost was James Haddock’s. Like Hamlet’s father, he had a wrong to right. He pleaded his case well and persistently. James Haddock’s trouble was that his wife was trying to filch some property from his son John. In Michaelmas, 1662, James Taverner, a servant to the Earl of Chichester, was riding from Hillsborough to his master’s house in Belfast when his horse shied. The cause of the animal’s fright was the ghost of James Haddock dressed in a white coat.
These facts were all authenticated by Thomas Alcock, secretary to Bishop Jeremy Taylor who recorded the whole affair in choice Latin. The lad was righted but James Haddock’s gravestone in Drumbeg churchyard was thrown down to keep him quiet. And so it remains to this day.     

City Cemetery,
Belfast, Ireland.
Falls Road

The oldest burial ground In the centre of west Belfast this site (1870), Jewish community, is badly neglected and has been the target of vandalism. The tall granite obelisk erected in memory of Daniel Joseph Jaffe by his son, Sir Otto Jaffe (who later served twice as Lord Mayor of Belfast), has been covered in paint and graffiti. Dan still haunts here and can be seen moaning and groaning near the fountain where he was killed.

http://www.nzghosts.co.nz/irish_ghostsIII.htm
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>

greyghost

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2006, 12:27:15 AM »
Ah I see Eddie found my web site.
I need more northern stories. When I was a kid my Dad used to tell me lots of them. But most were his embelishments of the truth.
Dorothy O'Donnell (nee Simmons)
www.odos-photos.com