Author Topic: Any exiles from East Belfast?  (Read 200141 times)

deke

Re: Any exiles from East Belfast?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 03:46:57 AM »
Just Googled this TC    although the link is dead

The Cregagh Estate was built by the Northern Ireland Housing Trust between. 1945 and 1950. The design and layout of the buildings were influenced by ...
www.planningni.gov.uk/AreaPlans_Policy/Plans/BMA/draft_plan/pdf/Part4V5/MetropCastlereagh/Urban.pdf - Similar pages
I used to be indecisive.   Now I'm not so sure.

twocoats

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 03:55:58 AM »
There you go. They must have started right after the war ended. It was ahead of its time and was a beautifully laid out plan.

I enjoyed being brought up there. O0
Homophobia, racism, sexism, bigotry and sectarianism is still alive..

twocoats

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 04:02:12 AM »
Looking from outside my old house down Cooneen Way towards where you lived Deke.

We could see the Cave Hill from our house.

The trees at the bottom weren't there when I was a kid. Or they were very small

IRISHAL

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 04:42:43 AM »
THANKS FOR THE PHOTO T.C. MY SISTER LIVED THERE ALSO. MURIEL AND JIMMY HALLIDAY.

twocoats

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 04:50:09 AM »
THANKS FOR THE PHOTO T.C. MY SISTER LIVED THERE ALSO. MURIEL AND JIMMY HALLIDAY.

I knew Muriel and Jimmy Halliday very well. They started out in the bottom flat two doors from me before they moved to Lissan close.

Lissan close is the first street on the left of the photo.

The lamp post on the right hand side of the photo was the entrance to their first flat.

I babysat for them when they lived in the Flat. Coats

Who was your sister. You can PM me if you prefer.

Newton_In _My_Heart

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 05:42:36 AM »
If I'm wrong in posting please tell me, I'm a native from the good old E of B.
Still living in the east, although away from my roots on the Newton and now in Dundonald.

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2009, 05:04:58 PM »
My name is Patsy Mathews (nee Ferguson) I used to lived on Hillfoot street, have lived in California for the last 50 years,  I lost contact with my friend Lillian Morrison who lived on Strandburn drive, after I emigrated (1st to Canada in 1954) she became an airline hostess with South African airlines, :)  does anyone have any information regarding the family/ friends, I know she had 2 sisters 1 older and another younger called Eileen  I would love to get any information. Thank you.

Jon B

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2009, 08:39:15 PM »
If I'm wrong in posting please tell me, I'm a native from the good old E of B.
Still living in the east, although away from my roots on the Newton and now in Dundonald.

Opposite of wrong in posting, you are more than welcome,
  enjoy the forum

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 08:50:56 PM »
My name is Patsy Mathews (nee Ferguson ) I lived on Hillfoot st, I would love to hear from anyone including family/friends who could give me any news on Lillian Morrison who lived on Strandburn drive, I lost contact with her when I emigrated to Canada/States, she had 2 sisters one older, one younger called Eileen, Last I heard from Lillian she became a flight attendant with South African airlines, any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

sas2347

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2009, 12:42:38 AM »
John Stewart born Church Street East.1941. moved to Aigburth Park Sydenham 1954. Now Live in Australia
Memories are history. Your Personsal history. Never lose them.

sydenhambetty

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2009, 03:01:47 AM »
Hi my name growing up in East Belfast was Betty Ferguson lived in Hillfoot St and hung out with my
brother Jimmy down the Larkfield Rd Left Belfast in 1959 and am now living in Toronto but spent
several years in California
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.  Oscar Wilde

sas2347

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2009, 10:50:44 PM »
Hi betty you lived pretty close to me. i lived at number 3 aigburth park second house from pimms ave. remember millers shop. used to play old john miller snooker at dan's billiard hall in park ave.       john stewart
Memories are history. Your Personsal history. Never lose them.

Dancer

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2009, 11:14:14 PM »
Hi,  The Dobsons ice cream van used to stop outside the Tudors Store in Mount Merriion Avenue.  They sold ice cream on a stick frozen solid, lasted for ages.
I lived in Knockeden but spent my time mostly in Cooneen Way and South Bank.

The photograph of the estate shows Kilbroney House which was not built until the middle 1960's

regards
Dancer

Dancer

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2009, 11:22:03 PM »
Sorry, Made a mistake.  Kilbroney house was built in the 60's was not thinking. The estate was built around the end of WWII 1945.  It was built before the house in Flush Park and Knockeden.  Senior moment  LOL

Dancer

sydenhambetty

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2009, 11:33:22 PM »
Hi John of course I remember Millars Shop they were the best people and I think of them to this day
Do you remember the wee lane and the plots Did you know my chum Kathleen Greer she is out here
in British Columbia and we stay in touch Did you remember the penny drinks and broken biscuits we
used to get at Millars also John Sinclairs My brother Jimmy delivered the papers for
Sinclairs It is so good to hear from you   Please keep in touch    Betty
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.  Oscar Wilde

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy