Author Topic: Any exiles from East Belfast?  (Read 146674 times)

DMW

Re: Any exiles from East Belfast?
« Reply #690 on: January 27, 2018, 11:05:41 PM »
Richard McCann   

richard mccann

« Reply #691 on: January 29, 2018, 01:36:12 AM »
desi - your reply ?I dont understand it/

DMW

« Reply #692 on: January 29, 2018, 08:11:09 PM »
Richard McCann   Sorry, I had 3 smiley faces attached = guess they didn't take  -  re the underware change.  

richard mccann

« Reply #693 on: January 31, 2018, 02:01:19 AM »
desi - Now it makes sense.cheers /rmc

DMW

« Reply #694 on: February 15, 2018, 03:49:45 PM »
Richard McCann - Just speaking with a friend (Ashfield student) last week about old buddies who moved to others part of the world- like us- Don't know if I asked you before if you ever came across or recall an Aussie/Irish folk group back in late 1960s,early 1970s . Called - The Leprechauns - comprised of two guys from Sydenham and one Ardoyne.    des.

richard mccann

« Reply #695 on: February 18, 2018, 01:23:41 AM »
Desi-I have never heard of that group you mentioned. When I lived in Sydney in the early 60s there were a group of guys who played in the local pub they were popular , but never rose to any great heights, and they were from the Shankill Rd.  I also went to Ashfield  when it first opened in 52 but for the life of me I  cannot recall many  names from that time. Rmc

DMW

« Reply #696 on: February 19, 2018, 04:07:44 AM »
Richard -  Apparently the Leprechauns put out a couple of Irish records - and it was my search for couple of old buddies, who had moved to Australia, brought me to BF. The two guys from Sydenham in that group, but I only learned about that 50 years later. I thought they had gone to Australia together , but no. One had gone with his 1st wife and the other with the guy from Ardoyne. They happened to meet up later and started the group.   They were (then) called Geordie, Billy and George, but to sound being authentically Irish, they used the stage names of Liam, Mick and Sean.   Billy (now Bill) moved back to Belfast in the 80s, but had passed away, by the time I found out.  Geordie (now George) is now living in the Pyrenees mountains in France. The original George is still in Australia, and it was he who told me about the other two.  If you started at Ashfield in 52 , that make you a year older than me. I started at Annadale in 53 and the guy I was talking to was at Ashfield  starting in 1954, so you would not have know him. 

richard mccann

« Reply #697 on: February 21, 2018, 03:15:33 AM »
desi - I left Ashfield in 54 went to work for my uncle as an apprentice Plumber . I was only getting 23 bob a week,which lasted a few years  I was offered a job at twice the pay working at E.T.Greens on Donegal Quay .What did I know so I took the job it lasted a few years. I then ended up working at Hughes @ Dicksons Flour Mill on the lower Falls Rd  at the Pound Loney . That was my last job before I headed for Australia in 61. I worked with a German bricklayer who offered to teach me the trade remembering my first mistake (Plumber) I jumped at the chance I ended up laying bricks for 40 odd years great job, hard job, but I was made for it I enjoyed moving all over Adelaide building houses. I retired at 66 eleven years ago I keep active walking my dog every day at 6.30/Rmc

DMW

« Reply #698 on: February 22, 2018, 04:34:02 PM »
Richard - Interesting, your starting at Ashfield. Had I been a little older that year, I too would have started at Ashfield. It was only years later that I realised those of us at 11 or older that year were not given the option of sitting the Qualifying (11 +)  exam as they wanted to fill up the technical school. Thereby negating the possibility of an Academic education. Going to Annadale, I visions of getting some sort of degree, but in my 4th year I had brain abscess  and spent 6 weeks in RVH, which put any visions of grandeur on hold. I had to learn to walk and talk again as I had been paralysed on one side. Lost interest in most things drifted from job to job before deciding to leave Belfast. My eldest brother and I talked about going to NZ or OZ but he backed out a few months later, not telling me why. So I decided to come to Canada - 1965 - as I had family here. Never thought of going back.  By the way my brother (then 39, me 22) only told me after I got to Canada he was getting married - I didn't even know he had a girlfriend. cheers des.

richard mccann

« Reply #699 on: February 23, 2018, 04:15:11 AM »
desi  I had a go at the eleven plus was not smart enough . There was a lot of lads from around our district who were good enough to pass it . I think I have mentioned their names to you before Billy Docherty , Harry and Billy Smith, (twin brothers) Walter Mc Cracken,Jim Andrews, and Dennis Quinn. They all went to Annadale  and Mersey St Primary. You went through a bit when you were young as regards health but your still here Desi so you must be tough in the head .You said you never thought of going back, I  have been back twice , but its not the same , I couldnt wait to get back to Oz. Desi what did you do for a crust in Canada?Rmc

DMW

« Reply #700 on: February 23, 2018, 09:27:20 PM »
Richard - When I said I didn't go back, I meant to live, I have gone back few times, but since I no longer have siblings there the pull is not the same. As for work, my last job in Belfast was a Bus Conductor on the BCT.  When I came to Canada, I started working at a Biscuit factory, on the oven and lost about 10 lbs. in a couple of months. Then I saw an ad in the paper for someone with experience in transportation, - I thought - 'Hey, I was bus conductor, so I have experience'  However that ad was for a Trucking company, luckily the manager was English, and probably had a chuckle, but saw my 4 years at grammar school in  my resume and granted me an interview, and I got a job(office) which I stayed with for the next 43 years. Not all with the same company as there is a lot of take overs and bankruptcy's   . One of the take overs was an Australian company - TNT. Never got much higher than office manager, but I enjoyed it and made a lot of friends   

scotland

« Reply #701 on: February 24, 2018, 01:36:51 AM »
Hi reading through some of the previous posts I really do sympathise with any exile from our homeland who sadly do not have any siblings or family  left there please don't forget the land of your birth there will always be a connection . I have lived in several countries since leaving my beloved Belfast but wherever I am or may go I am drawn back even for a short break  my heart and soul belong to the place of my birth  Best Wishes my friends M☺☺

DMW

« Reply #702 on: February 24, 2018, 09:31:35 PM »
Thank you Scotland, no immediate siblings - still a couple of nephews in Carrick and cousins in Donegal(whom I have not connected with in over 25 years), so I really don't know who is still there. des.

richard mccann

« Reply #703 on: February 25, 2018, 01:31:30 AM »
desi - When I read about you losing 10 lbs whilst working in the Biscuit Factory my immediate thought was he should have eaten more biscuits had it been me I would have gained 20lbs in the first week. I have heard of TNT they are a large company here  namely Thomas National Transport.  When you said you enjoyed your job I think we were both lucky to end up in jobs we liked .  I still have cousins in Ireland I even have cousins in Canada that I know nothing about. Rmc