Author Topic: Any exiles from East Belfast?  (Read 169371 times)

Jack Casement

Re: Any exiles from East Belfast?
« Reply #735 on: March 23, 2020, 12:19:11 PM »
Richard McCann.  The names you mentioned brought back memories.  Derek Dougan was my best mate when he player for Distillery.  We both worked in the shipyard and usually went dancing at the Plaza.  One night I told him I couldn't go as I had promised my mum to whitewash her backyard.   This didn't deter Derek as we both got stuck in and then went to the dance.
Another name which brings back memories is Billy Aitkin.  Billy was another shipyard friend and we both signed on and sailed on the Royal Mail Ship Arlanza.  I still have a picture some where of him on the ship.
I wonder if anyone reading this knows Alex Douglas I think from Sydenham

Gus123a

« Reply #736 on: May 10, 2020, 01:16:16 PM »
I played football for Cregagh youth club U16 in 1966/67 . The pitch was on the grass area and we changed in a lock up at the top of the street that George Bests family lived in . My sister Margaret Connolly worked in the sweet shop in the shops there and her future husband Geordie Hillis RIP worked in the butchers beside it . Have lived in Southampton for 48 years now but any memories of all that time would be great !!

L Kelso

« Reply #737 on: May 10, 2020, 10:23:50 PM »
Only have come across this post today. Yes I know the Kelsos. How can I help

gjjhalliday

« Reply #738 on: August 02, 2020, 10:21:40 AM »
I knew Muriel and Jimmy Halliday very well. They started out in the bottom flat two doors from me before they moved to Lissan close.

Lissan close is the first street on the left of the photo.

The lamp post on the right hand side of the photo was the entrance to their first flat.

I babysat for them when they lived in the Flat. Coats

Who was your sister. You can PM me if you prefer.

I known this is an old post now, Jimmy and Muriel were my grandparents, although I did not know Muriel. Would be great if you could share some memories of them and my dad.