Author Topic: Any exiles from East Belfast?  (Read 162288 times)

alex9467

Re: Any exiles from East Belfast?
« Reply #720 on: May 06, 2019, 07:58:41 AM »
Yes I know quite a few of the faces in the picture, wonder where I was when it was took! Yip, all my old school pals and playmates. Thank you for the photo.

jackiehillis

« Reply #721 on: May 06, 2019, 05:35:59 PM »
Yes I know quite a few of the faces in the picture, wonder where I was when it was took! Yip, all my old school pals and playmates. Thank you for the photo.
                                            Alex. I'm from Josephine Street. 3 doors up from Foundry.
"Don't walk in front of me" "I  don't want you to lead " " Don't walk behind me" "I don't want you to follow" " Walk beside me and be my friend "

jackiehillis

« Reply #722 on: May 07, 2019, 12:01:25 AM »

m                                                                                                        Memel Street Arch 1962

"Don't walk in front of me" "I  don't want you to lead " " Don't walk behind me" "I don't want you to follow" " Walk beside me and be my friend "

scotland

« Reply #723 on: May 13, 2019, 05:26:53 PM »
Hi Alex my brother in law Robert Boucher came from Memel St sadly passed away some time ago if memory serves me right he had a brother can't for the life of me remember his name he had 2 little daughters just a thought popped into my head the name Stanley seems to ring a bell  Cheers M

richard mccann

« Reply #724 on: May 20, 2019, 05:20:33 AM »
macadoo - You  mentioned that your dad came from Avon Street. i will mention a few names from Avon St. Wee Tommy Burns , Lupar Mc Cann ,Derek Dougan,Billy Aitkin,Jimmy Watton, and wee Danny Mournin. i am going back 60 yrs maybe its too long ago?  I have been in Australia for 58 yrs. I lived in Harkness Pde off Mersey St. Best part of  Ballymacarett.cheers rmc

macadoo

« Reply #725 on: June 03, 2019, 11:09:18 AM »
Richard McCann- we left Belfast for Toronto in 1954 where we stayed for 6 years and eventually settling in USA. Last name McQueen. My wife and I returned to Belfast for 4 years in the mid 80s and then back to USA since. Dad and all his brother;s as well as his dad were all shipyard men.

scotland

« Reply #726 on: July 29, 2019, 01:15:04 AM »
Macadoo greetings from Scotland  love your story about emigrating I would have been 9 when you first left Belfast my great g/father and grandfather worked in the shipyard building the titanic I was brought up in Methuen st until the age of 5 so have very fond memories of returning there to visit the family Cheers M☺☺

macadoo

« Reply #727 on: July 29, 2019, 01:21:44 PM »
Thanks 'Scotland'. Both my grandas were in H&W as well. My da's da moved the family over from Partick to get work in the yard. I have my da's indenture papers still. He signed on in 1936. Da's family lived in Avon st.

scotland

« Reply #728 on: August 26, 2019, 05:17:58 PM »
Hi macadoo my grandparents on both sides came from Scotland my maternal great grandmother was from Patrick  we have traced my family tree back to the 1700s love to hear great stories from the past Cheers M☺☺

scotland

« Reply #729 on: August 26, 2019, 05:19:59 PM »
Macodoo Sorry that was a misprint  should have been PARTICK😁

richard mccann

cold weather in canada
« Reply #730 on: September 16, 2019, 05:56:10 AM »
As Belfast immigrant who has been in Australia for 58 yrs I was wondering how the older people from Belfast put up with the cold weather in Canada. I find it very hard here in Australia during the winter time . I think the reason is because I am on blood thinners. At least I can go for a walk here . What is it like when you get heavy snow / Do you stay indoors?rmc

scotland

« Reply #731 on: September 17, 2019, 01:56:19 AM »
Awe com on Richard we are a hardy lot ,wherever we end up living we cope I have lived in a hot country were I did,nt see rain for 18 months and I have lived in a cold country we learn to adapt to our surrounderies that's the wonder of nature Cheers M😀😀

scotland

« Reply #732 on: September 17, 2019, 01:58:19 AM »
Richard I meant surroundings sorry about that Cheers M😀😀