Author Topic: Recipes baps, veda , honey malt , pasties, is this still top secret  (Read 9717 times)

paddywack

i am staving to death in the usa because   i cant get any good bread ,  its a real problem ,  Does anybody have these great reciepes , baps ,veda, honey malt, paris buns ,snowballs ,    help    thanks 
Paddywack

Val

Re: Recipes baps, veda , honey malt , pasties, is this still top secret
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 02:38:05 AM »
Hi starving in the USA go to Dolly's thread, Who do you know from the Market and you will get a lot of those recipes there.

Good Luck.  .Val  O0

Sheila A

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 04:13:36 AM »
There are a few Irish Bakeries in the US Paddy depends on where you are, If you google Irish Baked goods you might find a local supplier. I live in CT and have access to a bakery that makes a decent Plain Sliced loaf it's called Batch Bread. I make my own farls like Dolly, do have a recipe for baps which I will post later for you. As far as Paris buns and snowballs are concerned, I agree with Val you should go to Dollys' thread in 'who do you know from the Markets', she is a great baker and has some lovely recipes there from home. As far as I know Veda is a patented recipe and not available to the public  :-[
Sheila A :)

paddywack

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 12:53:53 AM »
To val and  shieila,  thanks for the help and info   ,   We can get the brennans bread from the wholesaler ,  and we do make are own potato bread , and soda farls  ,    it was more like the veda   snowballs    things like that ,  which I have been told   are  guarded .      Now baps  thats  the ticket , if we could get that recipe ,  i might even go into the bakery buissness  .   Thanks.  again .  Paddy
Paddywack

charles w

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 09:47:44 AM »
The bap was the best thing ever to come out of Belfast.  The veda was an import from Scotland and is about 50 years younger.  Nothing beats a well done crusty Belfast bap.

AL CAPONE

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 10:02:39 AM »
Nothing beats a honey malt loaf from Jeffers bakery. :P O0

lizzie

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 06:13:42 PM »
Charles what is veda if it comes from scotland ive never heard of it, maybe we call it something different. :)

pussy-galore

• Account Closed
Re: Recipes baps, veda , honey malt , pasties, is this still top sec
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 06:19:26 PM »
Charles what is veda if it comes from scotland ive never heard of it, maybe we call it something different. :)

Veda is a malt loaf - don't know it's origins  :)

Sheila A

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 03:35:23 AM »
To val and  shieila,  thanks for the help and info   ,   We can get the brennans bread from the wholesaler ,  and we do make are own potato bread , and soda farls  ,    it was more like the veda   snowballs    things like that ,  which I have been told   are  guarded .      Now baps  thats  the ticket , if we could get that recipe ,  i might even go into the bakery buissness  .   Thanks.  again .  Paddy

Belfast Baps

2 and a half cups warm water
pinch salt
pinch of sugar
2 tablespoons active dry yeast
6 and a half to 7 cups of bread flour
rice flour

Pour warm water in bowl. Water should be just warm to the touch about 90-100 degrees. Add sugar and yeast. Stir to disolve the yeast, let this sit about 10 minutes. Add 3 cups of flour and salt and beat until smooth. Gradually add the remaining flour until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Knead with a dough hook on a mixer or by hand until the dough is smooth and elastic. Oil a bowl and place the dough in bowl turning once to cover the dough in the oil. Cover the bowl with a dry towel and leave it to rise in a dry place for about two hours. When the dough has risen remove from the bowl and make 6 equal balls/baps shapes place these close together on a baking sheet that has been dusted with rice flour. Leave them to rise again for about another hour covered with a towel in a dry place. Bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.

I have adapted the original recipe that I was given, the main thing is that for a home baker our ovens are not hot enough, so I heat mine (electric) to 425 and I fill a metal dish with water which I place on the bottom rack while the oven is heating to create a wee bit of steam which produces a nice crust. It takes patience to make a good bap at home, the first ones I made were like bricks, but if you have the time and use the right ingredients especially the bread flour hopefully you will do well.

Good luck

Sheila A :)

Christopher

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 01:23:29 PM »
  i am staving to death in the usa because   i cant get any good bread ,  its a real problem ,  Does anybody have these great reciepes , baps ,veda, honey malt, paris buns ,snowballs ,    help    thanks 

Try Bellaonline.com

It's a large site which contains a Forum on Irish culture with threads containing recipes