Author Topic: Guys who built the Titanic  (Read 9762 times)

Christopher

Guys who built the Titanic
« on: February 10, 2009, 12:44:05 PM »
Titanic-Titanic.com has a thread titled men who built the titanic There's a large amount of information about the people who lost their lives and those who survived but little is known about the guys who were employed by H & W to build this great liner. If you know that your ancestor was involved in the building of the Titanic, or think they may have been involved, please post details on this thread. There's no chance of finding all the guys but it would be interesting to have details of a few of them.  www.titanic-titanic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1404

Wendl

Re: Guys who built the Titanic
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 02:23:31 PM »
My whole "Close" family worked at the shipyard good probablility they were involved with Titanic...but no solid proof. .this photo was among my Grt Grannie's belongings....and my Granda was a Rivett Catcher prior to immigrating to Canada....

Believe these are Rivetter's ... Unknown who they are.
When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compete or compare.....everyone will respect you!
Lao-Tzu

Christopher

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 02:32:15 PM »
Thanks for sharing the photo Wendl. I hope other members have a few photos of guys
who worked in the shipyard around the time the Titanic was being built.

Joseph Magee

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 03:42:03 PM »
I cannot confirm, but it has long been talked about in my family that my Grandfather, James Magee, worked on the Titanic before emigrating to the USA through Canada.  Our family went back several generations in Belfast.

Eleanor

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 07:10:36 PM »
I cannot confirm, but it has long been talked about in my family that my Grandfather, James Magee, worked on the Titanic before emigrating to the USA through Canada.  Our family went back several generations in Belfast.

Joe, are you related to the Magees who lived in Burlington Street?
Hate the sin, but love the sinner

SeanP

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 03:37:05 PM »
My grandfather told me stories about working on the Titanic(I think) although I do have a photograph of him standing on the deck of the Olympic (he was a spark).

Memories tend to get muddled but I'm pretty sure he told me that on several occasions there would be a sweep of the yard by loyalists to beat up catholic workers and that he and a pal had a "cubby hole" on the Titanic deep down inside where they used to hide.... :-\

Danny Boy

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 02:40:16 PM »
Hello Christopher

My grandad Billy Ibbotson 24 years old in 1911 was an iron moulder in the yards, I have been told he worked on the Titanic. The age and time frame is right.

bobby b

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 07:39:22 PM »
My grandfather GEORGE BLAIR served his time as a Driller on all the big ships being built at that time, including Titanic, olympic, etc. I have a document stating that he had served his time 5 years and completed his apprentice ship on the 17 February 1914.
Should you go first and I remain,one thing Ill have you do . Walk slowly down that lonesome path ,for soon Ill follow you.

Val

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 08:44:53 PM »
My husband's grandfather, John Waring worked on the Titanic as a Plater.

Paul South Africa

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 11:27:15 AM »
Hi all,

My grandfather, George Braithwaite, worked on Titanic. He worked on the design of the decks, I think.

They lived in Ayr Street on the Shore Road.

he worked all his life for H&W.

Regards,
paul

tboy

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 10:28:17 PM »
my grannie used to swab the decks, she worked for the worlds first employment agency 'paddie to go' :)

JOHNW

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 08:01:43 AM »
TITANIC HULL
if you can't laugh at yourself who can you laugh at ?

Joseph Magee

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 02:40:08 AM »
Joe, are you related to the Magees who lived in Burlington Street?

Not that I know of.  Have records of family on Lepper, Gamble, Alloa and Crumlin.  Currently researching their history from USA.

chevron

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 07:15:59 PM »
 Belfast Telegraph Series of 12 Special Millennium Magazines.(2000)
I have a photo of H&W engine works tool room my G.Dad his brother (the hat )and my Uncle are shown 1935. I do not know how to post this photo, maby someone has it and post to the site and other people might find someone they know.
chevron

Vivien

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 04:48:17 PM »
My grandfather James Campbell worked on building the Titianic. He was a boilermaker
and lived in Austin Street.
His brother John Campbell was a riveter  and a cousin John Campbell was a driller, they lived in Wolff St.