Author Topic: Guys who built the Titanic  (Read 9763 times)

knoxy

Re: Guys who built the Titanic
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 10:25:20 PM »
Hi
I am doing the family history and I have found out that my great grandfather John, my great uncle Francis and also my great great grandfather William, was working at the Shipyard and my great grandfather John helped builting the Titanic. :) :)

tboy

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 10:29:31 PM »
are you boasting or apologising?

knoxy

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 10:34:11 PM »
are you boasting or apologising?

I'm not boasting or apologising as any of your ancestors helped to built the Titanic? :)

tboy

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 10:38:42 PM »
an old uncle was naive enough to come from the shipyard in derry looking for work but ended up swimming for his life from the hero titanic builders ;)

jaymac

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2009, 08:12:04 PM »
My Greatgrandfather John Ferguson and his brother worked as riverters on the Titanic.

Gord Patton

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2009, 10:14:12 PM »
My Great Grandfather Hugh Gault worked at Harland and Wolff at the time of Titanic construction. I have what appears to be a piece of steel that he passed on to my Grandmother, as a keepsake. The launch date is scratched into the steel. Not sure what this steel was used for.... but it looks like a plug of steel. (no I'm not joking)! By trade he was a iron worker, welder so perhaps these things were part of his supplies. Anyways, family lore says that he claimed that the Titanic would come to no good since they were required to work on Sundays to meet the launch date.

Epona

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2009, 10:57:26 PM »
My great-grandfather, Hugh Johnston, helped build the Titanic.  I think he was a riveter.
Good friends are always together in spirit.
Lucy Maud Montgomery

JimP

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2009, 02:14:52 AM »
My grandfather Fred Patterson of 20 Ravenhill St. to my knowledge was a riviter on the buid of the Titanic.
JimP

charles w

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 03:21:08 AM »
Even if there were titanic records they would not of had given all of the records.  I believe that many workers were contracted in to do the specialest work.  My grandfather was contracted in to do work on the ships in the early twenties.  He may of had worked on the Titanic.

pepher

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2009, 01:08:16 AM »
Years ago, when I was a young'n in Toronto and was looking for my first apartment I ended up looking at a basement apartment of an elderly lady.   She had me in for tea after seeing the place and I noticed a giant rivet on the table with Titanic on it.  I asked her about it and she told me that families of those that passed away on the maiden voyage were presented with these rivets by H&W.  Has anyone else heard of this?

toadstool999

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2009, 11:58:46 PM »
My grandfather George Campbell was a "marker-off" (?) on the Titanic. You can spot him in the photos taken back then. He's the one with the cap.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Flareon1

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2019, 11:06:08 AM »
My great grandfather Richard Tregenna worked on the construction of the Titanic. I believe he was a riveter. He was to go on the maiden voyage, but to the best of my knowledge, the reason he didn't was that another man took his place having worked in the shipyard longer - fortunately for him as it turned out.

CMcG

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2019, 01:49:22 PM »

My great grandfather Richard Tregenna worked on the construction of the Titanic. I believe he was a riveter. He was to go on the maiden voyage, but to the best of my knowledge, the reason he didn't was that another man took his place having worked in the shipyard longer - fortunately for him as it turned out.

If I'm right, he was one of the plumbers, for it's a very unusual surname for Belfast, indeed for Ireland, and the only one I could see in the April 1911 census (taken just before the launch in May 1911, the keel having been laid in March 1909, with readiness for sea taking place in April 1912) was the following one who married Amelia McCluskey in 1902:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Dock_Ward/Hillman_Street/137273/

I remember reading how much piping went into the Titanic, but I can't remember the figure, though it was many miles.  The following picture shows the plumbers' shop in H&W at the time:

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/images/6/65/Im1909V107-p634cb.jpg

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

vinnym

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2019, 07:32:16 PM »
My G/G was a riveter at H&W around the time Titanic was built. Not sure if he ever worked on it but I am sure he did. Only discovered this a few years ago. He came over from Scotland around 1900 obviously for employment. Have traced. him and his family back to Dumbarton. Have traced him and his family living in many locations in East Belfast. Passed away circa 1930 and is interred In Dundonald  cemetery.

Flareon1

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2019, 07:44:40 PM »
If I'm right, he was one of the plumbers, for it's a very unusual surname for Belfast, indeed for Ireland, and the only one I could see in the April 1911 census (taken just before the launch in May 1911, the keel having been laid in March 1909, with readiness for sea taking place in April 1912) was the following one who married Amelia McCluskey in 1902:

I remember reading how much piping went into the Titanic, but I can't remember the figure, though it was many miles.  The following picture shows the plumbers' shop in H&W at the time:

Thank you for that information and link. Yes that was his family in Hillman Street. The family were from Cornwall a couple of generations back.