Author Topic: Austin's veg shop off Botanic Avenue  (Read 6678 times)

irishblueeyes

Re: Austin's veg shop off Botanic Avenue
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 11:18:24 PM »
I also remember The Wilkinson name. One of their sons is Dessi Wilkinson, rather famous Traditional Irish musician. I could be wrong but I think he lives in Galway or somewhere like that. I also know of Celine Leonard and her sister( forgotten her name). Their mum was a childminder, one of the first. There was also a Norma Mullan and The Phoenix Family of Cromwell Rd. It's all coming back again!Eileenov

keep thinking Eileen...!!!

Eileenov

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 11:26:47 PM »
All this thinking is going quite well. I'm not just covering people but also buildings, streets and trying to put names to faces.
Small world, but my husband had a flat in Lawerence St when he was a student. Back in the days when students only had a party once a week :D

irishblueeyes

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 09:46:54 AM »
All this thinking is going quite well. I'm not just covering people but also buildings, streets and trying to put names to faces.
Small world, but my husband had a flat in Lawerence St when he was a student. Back in the days when students only had a party once a week :D

Small world indeed. We used to take in students for a while. I remember getting a maths student to do my maths homework...but generally we did not pay much attention to student life around us. Wolseley st was still a "family! street but that was changing. Old people were dying and the property people were moving in...

gerard

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 09:56:50 AM »
irishblueeyes got your p.m will post you when i get bit more time  ;) ;)

irishblueeyes

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 12:47:18 PM »
irishblueeyes got your p.m will post you when i get bit more time  ;) ;)

Great!!

Eileenov

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 01:46:47 PM »
Fantastic that you remember that Eileen...

Do you remember Beattie's barbers at the bottom of University Street? Not that you would have first hand experience of him...but it was quite an experience getting one of his haircuts...a variety of one style...

There was a more trendy one near the arts theatre on Botanic avenue...but a bit too pricey...
Yes, Of course I remember that barbers at the bottom of University St. It had the old style sign, but I never frequented it. My father may have done :)
I used to go to Knights record shop on the same side as the Arts Theatre. I remember a very expensive shoe shop opened there as well. I spent most of my first nurse's salary on a pair of sandals from that shop :D Eileen

irishblueeyes

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2009, 02:10:38 PM »
Yes, Of course I remember that barbers at the bottom of University St. It had the old style sign, but I never frequented it. My father may have done :)
I used to go to Knights record shop on the same side as the Arts Theatre. I remember a very expensive shoe shop opened there as well. I spent most of my first nurse's salary on a pair of sandals from that shop :D Eileen

Yes, that's right...Knight's record shop...it's all coming back...what about the wine shop at the bottom of India Street...?

Remember the steps down to McClure St.? Eeerie on a dark night...I remember betting a friend he couldn't ride down the steps on his bike...it was hilarious to watch...crazy that he even tried it...

Eileenov

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2009, 02:25:39 PM »
All of these memory recalls are growing. I may commit all my memories into a book.
Yes, those steps in McClure street were errie. Very Jack the Ripperish!!
I remember that wine shop in India street. My mum used to buy a small bottle of brandy each year, when it came near to Christmas cake making time. I bet your mum did the same!
My mum shopped in Sandy Row as well :D

irishblueeyes

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2009, 08:36:56 PM »
All of these memory recalls are growing. I may commit all my memories into a book.
Yes, those steps in McClure street were errie. Very Jack the Ripperish!!
I remember that wine shop in India street. My mum used to buy a small bottle of brandy each year, when it came near to Christmas cake making time. I bet your mum did the same!
My mum shopped in Sandy Row as well :D

Eileen...my mother used to buy beer to wash her hair...how extravagant..but there was a rumour going around that beer was good for your hair...

Alcoholic drink was a big No No in my family...they took the evangelical pledge...God, they didn't know what they were missing...actually they did and made up for it later on...!!!

Eileenov

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2009, 03:05:15 AM »
I think the use of beer to wash your hair was supposed to make it shine. It may be another 'old wives tale'.
As for the non drinking of a glass of good red wine.  :)
I came from a home where alcohol consumption was a small glass of cider at Christmas as a treat!

duffie

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2009, 09:26:01 AM »
Yes yes, I remember Autin's well Eileen...my mother sent me to buy spuds etc...we lived in Wolseley St...strange I have just mentioned Austin's in another thread...Austin himself was a strange bird...but Belfast was full of them!!

Seán McGrady

duffie

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2009, 09:30:06 AM »
Ah Sean MGrady what names appear from the past. Do you remember the back entry at the back of your house where we all played football.
Heres some other names. Presleys (for I am 1) McLoughlins, Barfoots, McGuigans, alan Brett (Form University st) McALeers, Burkes, McGarrys. With our combined memories we may just be able to do a street directory. How are Things?
Michael Presley

Eileenov

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2009, 02:59:01 PM »
Ah Sean MGrady what names appear from the past. Do you remember the back entry at the back of your house where we all played football.
Heres some other names. Presleys (for I am 1) McLoughlins, Barfoots, McGuigans, alan Brett (Form University st) McALeers, Burkes, McGarrys. With our combined memories we may just be able to do a street directory. How are Things?
Michael Presley
I remember the McLaughlins, Maria McGuigan. My mum was friendly with Mrs Presley, Mrs Phoenix and worked with Mrs Mcguigan. Very small world. Eileen

biffer

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2011, 10:13:36 AM »
Knights record shop was actually Kights Record Library. They were previously in great Victoria st and moved to one of the tenancies under the arts theatre. They let you borrow LPs.

There was another shop there called Kidds as well as the barbers mentioned earlier in this post. My parents sent me to Beattie's to get my hair cut and the proudest day of my life was when I didnt have to sit on the plank anymore.

I remember the Arts theatre being built, previously it was waste ground, and from then on we had car doors being banged all night when we were trying to sleep. One of the very early productions was Salad Days but in later years they attempted things like Jesus Christ Superstar.

I still dream about Botanic avenue

wilfam

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2011, 04:35:31 PM »
I'm not from Botanic but I went there often enough - just loved the atmosphere of the place. It had great shops and of course the Arts was great, went there fairly often; drank and danced at the Regency; my sister in law when she was a student lived in a flat up in that wee odd looking place just before the bridge (funny wee roof like a turet); loved going for high-tea at the Gables. I found the posts have been really interesting because they are from residents of the area pre student flats etc. And of course now, going by my last visit there, it's not anything like it used to be. Has any of the Botanic history been published?
wilfam