Author Topic: Black Cat Cola  (Read 3124 times)

yourpete

Black Cat Cola
« on: February 13, 2009, 02:45:39 PM »
Anybody remember Black Cat Cola?

It was bottled by C & C on the Castlereagh Road in the mid 1960's.

It looked like "the real thing" but tasted more like coke with a bit of sarsaperilla and perhaps a dash of cream soda mmmmmmmmmmmmm! O0
Genealogy is like my sock drawer - you find one and its ages before the other turns up!

Andi

Re: Black Cat Cola
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 07:30:03 PM »
I can remember sarsparella but not black cat cola.  And how could you get white lemonade and brown lemonade? Shouldn't white lemonade be, well, lemon  :D

Andi

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 07:32:41 PM »
Should be other way round   :D  I'm talking up the left tonight - and I haven't had any alcohol in my lemonade tonight   :D

stickyra

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 09:54:48 AM »
Remember it well.  Used to buy it in the 60s in Sunnyside Street.
Ní bheith mo leithid aris ann

The Lounge Lizard

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 07:46:58 PM »
I can remember sarsaparilla but not black cat cola.  And how could you get white lemonade and brown lemonade? Shouldn't white lemonade be, well, lemon :D

Sarsaparilla. .I remember drinking that because one of the cowboy series (Sugarfoot? Tenderfoot?...or was that the title song?) guy always went into the bar and drank it. I thought it made me all grown up. Think it tasted like Dr Pepper. I loved American Cream Soda though...don't know if you can still get it.
Memories they can't be bought,they cant be won at carnivals for free,it took me years to get those souvenirs and I don't know how they slipped away fr

stickyra

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 12:18:04 PM »
There is a drink that only seems available in County Donegal called Football Special. It is a bit like Sasperella

yourpete

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 12:34:37 PM »
Hi Stickyra,

Yep tried that from McDaids. It has a taste of its own really. Black Cat was more towards the coke taste.
Still get football special but waiting for the pound to strenghten against the euro before buying :D
Genealogy is like my sock drawer - you find one and its ages before the other turns up!

stickyra

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 06:23:41 PM »
Hi Stickyra,

Yep tried that from McDaids. It has a taste of its own really. Black Cat was more towards the coke taste.
Still get football special but waiting for the pound to strenghten against the euro before buying :D

aussietrekker

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 12:13:50 PM »
I remember that stuff- it was to die for.
Coke is not Black Cat's bootlace.
"Never confuse religion with spirituality."
-Father Bob Maguire, South Melbourne. 2011.

paddywack

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 10:31:42 PM »
They claimed it was very addictive ,   My brother in law said he was,  hooked  on it,   Ithink he was hooked on sugur         And he also claimed it damaged his stomach ,     I drank it, and it was great .
Paddywack

buttercup

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 11:00:04 AM »
I have an old Ross,s Royal orange squash bottle , which my brother gave to me , it was dug up under the bishops house in Co.Armagh , it is 14inches high and is covered in shamrocks, has the belfast creast a castle, bell and a ship and says Belfast Ireland the seal is orange and black Triangle , says    Ross's royal orange Squash manufactory Belfast Ireland .around the edges or whats left it says water and soda exsised to the, can,t made the rest out , but it is a piece of beauty .

Jacqui_el

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2019, 08:33:50 PM »
Yeah! It was great, the joy of my childhood, got it out of the Spar at Bellsbridge.  :)

Bigali

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2019, 11:18:01 PM »
Yeah! It was great, the joy of my childhood, got it out of the Spar at Bellsbridge.  :)

Is that the same Spar opposite Ladas Drive Police base that does the great take out breakfasts ?  :nyam:
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

Lost Login

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 01:45:24 PM »
Time warp me back to the sixties with enough pre-decimal cash to buy a crate of Black Cat Cola. I loved it. It was available in a bottle (returnable) which had a red label and white type with a little stylized black cat. there's no cola like it today. Diet cola is close to it, but not quite. my dad used to buy it from a pub which had an off-license on the corner of Disraeli Street and Ohio Street.
Not available in Northern Ireland.

Jacqui_el

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2019, 09:50:13 AM »
It was when the Spar was in its previous location where the shops are on the left of the Cregagh road opposite the flats, before Montgomery Road turn off. The Spar was the last shop before the houses.