Author Topic: South Belfast Volunteers in the Great War  (Read 88785 times)

RabRow

Re: South Belfast Volunteers in the Great War
« Reply #180 on: July 31, 2007, 02:23:57 PM »
Pte Leslie Bell was badly wounded, he was with the Derry Volunteers, he recovered and returned to live in Moneymore

Thanks for the info Hendy. I knew he was from around there somewhere. But didn't recollect about him being wounded.

brenbowy

« Reply #181 on: December 26, 2007, 02:11:04 PM »
Hello
My wife's grandfather, David HARE, gives his occupation on his wedding certificate as "Full private, R.I. Rifles" in Belfast, 1901. Do you have any info on him?
Brent

Stuart

« Reply #182 on: December 26, 2007, 05:30:54 PM »
Hello,
Would you have any information on Albert Parker, 71 Castlereagh Street Belfast. He is reported to have been killed on 16th November 1916. I have looked through the Belfast Telegraph from Nov 1916 to March 1917 without success.
Many thanks.
Stuarty

acheux_rifleman

« Reply #183 on: December 27, 2007, 02:14:11 AM »
Hello,
Would you have any information on Albert Parker, 71 Castlereagh Street Belfast. He is reported to have been killed on 16th November 1916. I have looked through the Belfast Telegraph from Nov 1916 to March 1917 without success.
Many thanks.
Stuarty

Hi there Stuarty and thanks for this post.

Rifleman Albert Parker, 14/3090. fell whilst serving with D Company. 14th (Service) Battalion (Young Citizen's Volunteers), Royal Irish Rifles on the 16th November 1916. He was only 18 years of age.

He was killed in action whilst on a 'raid' on enemy trenches, undertaken on the night of the 16th November 1916 by the 109th Brigade. The 36th were involved in raids on the front at the Spanbroek Salient on a front of 200 yards. The trenches were defended by the Saxon Division. By the end of the raid, 23 dead were counted although it was estimated that twice as many had fallen. Three prisoners were taken and British losses were described as 'slight'.

Albert's remains were recovered from 'no-man's land' and laid to rest at the Pond Farm Cemetery in row E, grave number 4. Albert is recorded as the son of Mr. George J. and Mrs. Jane Parker of 71 Castlereagh Street, Belfast.

I may be able to get a bit more info and possibly a photograph.

His Medal Index Card can be uploaded using the link below.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=4702112&queryType=1&resultcount=227

Hope this info proves interesting.

Lest We Forget.

Acheux.
We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go
Always a little further - it may be
Beyond the last blue mountain barred with snow,
Across that angry or t

twocoats

« Reply #184 on: December 27, 2007, 02:18:34 AM »
Hello AR. Nice to see you back on. Hope you and yours had a nice Christmas. Coats
Homophobia, racism, sexism, bigotry and sectarianism is still alive..

Stuart

« Reply #185 on: December 27, 2007, 09:08:31 AM »
Acheux,
All I can say is itís fantastic. Anything else you can get would be a bonus. Many, many thanks.
Stuarty

Miller

« Reply #186 on: February 24, 2008, 09:11:49 PM »
Rifleman

I have just today discovered this site, and spent the last hour reading about the SBV. Recognised so many names from Sandy Row and the Donegall Road -that have to be relatives that are still in the area.
All I can say is keep up the great work highlighting the ultimate sacrifice that they made.
Your dedication is tremendous.

Lest we forget

Miller

kjhrn2001

« Reply #187 on: June 12, 2008, 04:59:27 AM »
Dear Acheux,

This is the most interesting and wonderful site that I have come across....You deserve kudos for all your hard work!!. I have been trying to locate my grandfather...His namewas Patrick Johnston and he was from the market... Married to Catherine Branney in 1905  .They had several children...the family story is that my grandmother was 5-6 months pregnant with my father when my grandfather was killed in the war in 1917. My father's BD is 10/20/17  .any information would be appreciated...I have been searching without any luck..

Thanks and keep up the great work you are doing!!!

delane

« Reply #188 on: June 27, 2008, 09:23:37 PM »
TO, EVERYONE WHO CAN HELP,ME I LIVE ACROSS THE SEA, & I FIND IT VERY HARD TO FIND ANYTHING ABOUT ,MY GREAT GRAND FATHER, WHO LIKE MANY OTHER,S THOUGHT IN THE 2nd BOER WAR,HE STOOD AT CITY-HALL RECEIING HIS MEDAL,S THERE WAS PHOTO,S TAKEN & WAS ALWAY,S DOWN AT CITY-HALL ON ANNERVSITY, PLEASE HELP IN WERE TO LOOK FOR THESE PHOTOGRAPH,S,I DON,T EVEN KNOW HIS REGIMENT,, THIS IS WHAT I KNOW NAME, JOHN MULLAN, MARRIED TO SUSAN RUSSELL IN [1898] BOTH AGED 20 ,, HE LIVED AT 5,NORTH ANN,ST,SAILORTOWN. MARRIED AT ST PATRICK,S CHURCH,BELFAST, HE WAS IN A IRISH,REGIMENT, HE DIED IN [1955], PLEASE HELP IN MY QUEST AS I KNOW THERE ARE SOME CLEVER PEOPLE OUT THERE,p,s i can,t find him on 1901,census is that because he was away  at war. many thank,s.... delane,,
the older you get the worse you get..

Mageeka

« Reply #189 on: June 28, 2008, 02:04:01 PM »
Delane my man
I am off to belfast on monday and i will do some some snooping around  I cannot promise anything other than to look  I hope i will come up with something  Keep yer fingers crossed
M

delane

« Reply #190 on: June 28, 2008, 08:12:29 PM »
A BIG THANK YOU TO U MAGEEKA,, the first few round,s are on me said  the milky bar kid..very much appreciated i really do hope there is an end to finding this invisible man.. history,my grandkids,s are starting to ask me why dose my parent,s speck funny i said they are from Belfast & that,s my reason for finding my family history as the older generation get,s older it go,s with them & die,s.all the very best,,mageeka...delane,,
the older you get the worse you get..

johnswfc

« Reply #191 on: August 01, 2008, 11:28:56 AM »
Stumbled on this site and have appreciated it so much. Perhaps you have something on relatives of my wife who came from Donegall Road.
Her grandfather had (maybe!) 3 brothers, all killed in WW1. We know about Robert George McClean (or McLean), 10th RIR No995; KIA 6/8/1917; William and Thomas are mentioned on Donegall Road Presbyterian Roll of Honour, both from Turin Street. William drowned/seaman; Thomas was in RIR - but we know nothing about either. Can you shed any light on either?
The other grandfather, who survived, was Thomas Halliday, lance corporal in South Lancs, No 7349. We just wonder... why would he have been in the South Lancs??
Many many thanks, not just for whatever you might be able to tell us but simply for having put together such a wonderful site.
John

desiree

« Reply #192 on: August 01, 2008, 11:30:46 AM »
Are you on Sheffield forum John? :)

johnswfc

« Reply #193 on: August 01, 2008, 12:00:34 PM »
It's a long story, Desiree; for my sins I worked in Sheffield when my children were young and we all became Wednesday-ites; at least they play in blue!
John

desiree

« Reply #194 on: August 01, 2008, 12:02:16 PM »
hi, you live here now, but have you been on Sheffield forum?