Author Topic: ardoyne g. a. c. 1962 memories  (Read 12238 times)

arder lavery

Re: ardoyne g. a. c. 1962 memories
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 12:36:38 PM »
ITS AMAZING HOW MANY PEOPLES NAMES YOU CAN REMEMBER, AND FORGET.
CAN ANYONE HELP ME PUT NAMES TO THE REST OF THESE FACES. THESE ARE THE ONES I DO REMEMBER VERY WELL. NOW IM STUFFED, HOW DO I PUT THIS PHOTO ONTO THE SITE.
[/quote]
does anyone remember the old off licence top of crumlin st
HAVE NO FEAR CAUSE ARDERS HERE

tboy

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 08:15:18 PM »
arder that photo of crumlin street, the car was mine,i was visiting my brothers in laws the mckillons in no.8. mrs. travers lived opposite. :)

Kateme

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2009, 05:20:32 PM »
Yep, I remember it.  Do you remember Nelly McGinnis??  The funniest story I remember is that my Granny gave her a new pair of waterboots.  The next day she appeared in Butler Street without the boots and when Gran asked where her boots were she said "I wore them to bed and some f.  stole them in the middle of the night".  Poor Nelly.
“Government’s first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.”

glenb

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2009, 05:55:11 PM »
Wasn't there a shop at the corner of Crumlin St and Flax st, I seem to remember a wee shop or a chip shop or something, can't remember, it would have been on the left hand side walking down Crumlin st towards flax st

Kateme

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2009, 08:45:32 PM »
Wasn't there a shop at the corner of Crumlin St and Flax st, I seem to remember a wee shop or a chip shop or something, can't remember, it would have been on the left hand side walking down Crumlin st towards flax st
There was a shop in Flax Street, just around the corner from Crumlin Street - Donaghy's.  They had lovely Neopolitan Ice Cream!!

arder lavery

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 07:49:34 AM »
there was no shop, but i remember the 2nd and 3rd houses where kay maguiness ans kay close lived

glenb

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 05:51:24 PM »
I could have swore there was something there around the corner of Crumlin st/ Flax st

Also remember twins McCruddens who had relations in Crumlin st

Kateme

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2009, 04:08:34 PM »
I could have swore there was something there around the corner of Crumlin st/ Flax st

Also remember twins McCruddens who had relations in Crumlin st
You know what Glen, I kind of remember something in Crumlin Street.  Some of their wee houses had that half door set-up and I think I remember going around there for cigarettes for Granny (maybe when the other shops were closed).

glenb

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2009, 04:54:30 PM »
Yes, it was like a half door , someones house type of thing, I remember the lights and the activity around it

tboy

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2009, 09:09:52 PM »
and one knows what they say about half doors, 'all the old whores hang over them' ;)

arder lavery

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2010, 02:20:51 PM »
i think from memory that the buiding knocked down, used to be a wee off licence

annalivia

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2010, 02:47:08 AM »
Have been reading this Forum for a while, but just registered this evening. I remember the 'dam' well!  It was called the Potfield Dam, and smelled to the high heavens. I guess there were no environmentalists in Ardoyne.The parish built a school on the lot next to it (on Butler St. I believe).  Annalivia ::)

arder lavery

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2014, 11:00:55 AM »
Have been reading this Forum for a while, but just registered this evening. I remember the 'dam' well!  It was called the Potfield Dam, and smelled to the high heavens. I guess there were no environmentalists in Ardoyne.The parish built a school on the lot next to it (on Butler St. I believe).  Annalivia ::)
i appreciate your thoughts, but going to school in the tin huts, hold a lot of nothing, but good memories for me

Tipperdarby

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2014, 05:34:58 PM »
Arder,
I was looking at that picture of the GAA fellows again. I know some of them but I started remembering names from my days going into "The Club" as we called it. You will know some of the names so in no order at all I remember, Paddy Mulrine, Pat O'Connor (Kateme's uncle) Paul and Danny Gowdy, Malachy and Charlie Toner, Frankie Mc Keown and his younger twin brother Joe and ? Seamus Flanagan, John Laphen, Pat Murphy and his young brother Ciaran RIP, Ted Mc Quaid RIP and his young brother Brian, Danny Clarke, Paul Shevlin, Denis Mc Mullan, Paul Frame, Tommy Rafferty, Gerry Cullen and his Dad old Gerry Cullen (he used to recite a great poem called "the Fartin'Competition and he had everyone in stitches no matter how many times he did it) Harry Maguire, Jimmy Lynch and Frank Clarke were older but still went into the club.
Lots more I'm sure but that's it for now.

arder lavery

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2014, 10:33:01 AM »
Arder,
I was looking at that picture of the GAA fellows again. I know some of them but I started remembering names from my days going into "The Club" as we called it. You will know some of the names so in no order at all I remember, Paddy Mulrine, Pat O'Connor (Kateme's uncle) Paul and Danny Gowdy, Malachy and Charlie Toner, Frankie Mc Keown and his younger twin brother Joe and ? Seamus Flanagan, John Laphen, Pat Murphy and his young brother Ciaran RIP, Ted Mc Quaid RIP and his young brother Brian, Danny Clarke, Paul Shevlin, Denis Mc Mullan, Paul Frame, Tommy Rafferty, Gerry Cullen and his Dad old Gerry Cullen (he used to recite a great poem called "the Fartin'Competition and he had everyone in stitches no matter how many times he did it) Harry Maguire, Jimmy Lynch and Frank Clarke were older but still went into the club.
Lots more I'm sure but that's it for now.
your memory is fantastic, you must also remember paddy and stevie dobbin and harry mc caulley