Author Topic: ardoyne g. a. c. 1962 memories  (Read 12239 times)

Tipperdarby

Re: ardoyne g. a. c. 1962 memories
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2014, 03:34:59 PM »
your memory is fantastic, you must also remember paddy and stevie dobbin and harry mc caulley
I forgot about Paddy and Stevie, I knew them both well, not sure if I knew Harry. And of course I forgot about the great Jimmy Fennel! My sister would remember more but they would be a bit younger and you may not know them. I was thinking last night about the wee nights at the club and whoever was the M C for the night would call on a singer"We will now have so and so for his pleasure"  :D

breenbox

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2014, 03:49:57 PM »
Did Denis McMullan not play for Ardoyne ??
You'll never plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

Tipperdarby

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2014, 04:01:10 PM »
Did Denis McMullan not play for Ardoyne ??
He did breenbox, I mentioned him in my previous list of the people that  I remembered. I have a pic of Denis and my sister and my boyfriend and me at a formal dress dance in the 60's.

arder lavery

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2014, 10:07:58 AM »
I forgot about Paddy and Stevie, I knew them both well, not sure if I knew Harry. And of course I forgot about the great Jimmy Fennel! My sister would remember more but they would be a bit younger and you may not know them. I was thinking last night about the wee nights at the club and whoever was the M C for the night would call on a singer"We will now have so and so for his pleasure"  :D
my mistake again. it was tommy mc caulley from holmdene, he was by far our best gaelic player, so talented. i believe he has the news agents on alliance ave.
do you remember mccargo from brompton who later joined the police dept, i think it was pat
HAVE NO FEAR CAUSE ARDERS HERE

Morrissey

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2014, 11:19:57 AM »
Anyone remember lily McCabe who married jack morrissey believe they had children around the thirty or fortys lived in cavendish street and Annandale street

Tipperdarby

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2014, 02:09:19 PM »
my mistake again. it was tommy mc caulley from holmdene, he was by far our best gaelic player, so talented. i believe he has the news agents on alliance ave.
do you remember mccargo from brompton who later joined the police dept, i think it was pat
Yes I remember Tommy McAuley Arder and it was Brian Mc Cargo.

arder lavery

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2014, 12:02:15 PM »
as tboy pointed out, things must have changed quickly over those years, our ardoyne gaa, was out the back of frank the barbers shop at the top of butler st.

Tipperdarby

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2014, 04:27:09 AM »
as tboy pointed out, things must have changed quickly over those years, our ardoyne gaa, was out the back of frank the barbers shop at the top of butler st.
I forgot that it used to be behind Frank the barber's shop! I was never in there but my Granny lived in middle Chatham St and I spent a lot of time there so I do remember it. I could be wrong but is that the same place where they had the YCW back in my Mom's day do you know?
Was tboy in the GAA?

Kateme

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2014, 05:37:35 PM »
Yes, Eileen - it was Brian McCargo. He was out here in NY when I came here in 1960.   We are so lucky to have you remember all those names.  I was staring at the faces and trying to come up with the names.  I remember Mulrine, Laphen, Flanagan, of course Uncle Pat - some of them would come by the house looking for Pat.  Also Brendan MacFarlane. Thanks for putting the names to the faces.
 :-*

“Government’s first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.”

arder lavery

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2014, 12:23:12 PM »
I forgot that it used to be behind Frank the barber's shop! I was never in there but my Granny lived in middle Chatham St and I spent a lot of time there so I do remember it. I could be wrong but is that the same place where they had the YCW back in my Mom's day do you know?
Was tboy in the GAA?
i dont remember the ycw ? and im not sure if tboy played for us.

arder lavery

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2014, 12:35:11 PM »
Yes, Eileen - it was Brian McCargo. He was out here in NY when I came here in 1960.   We are so lucky to have you remember all those names.  I was staring at the faces and trying to come up with the names.  I remember Mulrine, Laphen, Flanagan, of course Uncle Pat - some of them would come by the house looking for Pat.  Also Brendan MacFarlane. Thanks for putting the names to the faces.
about 14 yrs ago we were walking past the falls park and this bloke called me and asked if i was mad arder, he had seen me in the club in ardoyne the night before,
he told me that i was one of his hero's when he was growing up, as i was always fighting and in trouble . lol.
bik, brendan macfarlane, was very well known as he spent a lot of time in long kesh.
he invited us up to the club the next night as his band was playing, our drinks were all free and we had a reserved table right next to the stage.
what a lovely person he was.
he had a song came out a while back, called something so strong and it did very well in america.
he lived across the street from me and told me things that i couldn't even remember.

arder lavery

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2015, 09:37:15 AM »
so so sad hearing about pat o'conner leaving us this week
rip,  pat

Kateme

« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2015, 08:59:56 PM »
so so sad hearing about pat o'conner leaving us this week
rip,  pat
Thanks Arder - it was a bit sudden - grew up in my Granny O'Connors - my Mom's brothers were like MY brothers.  Loved them all and miss those who have passed.  :( [size=78%]  [/size]
“Government’s first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.”

glenb

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2015, 08:54:08 PM »
Some good memories in this thread, much different from this out of Glenard: This was in the North Belfast News I believe.

A n 84-year-old woman who left her home for an hour to attend the funeral mass of her only sister has spoken of her trauma after heartless thieves targeted her home, stealing pension money and ransacking every room in the house.
 Collette McKibbin who lives with her husband Jim (85) in their Glenard home said she hadn’t been able to sleep since the the incident last week. The distraught pensioner said the fact the burglary happened while she was at her sister Josephine’s funeral has made her distress much worse.
“They lifted our pension money but they knew what they wanted. All the ornaments were left and the TV and they didn’t go near that.”
Collette’s daughter Hazel said the family were disgusted.
“We were only out of the house an hour so they must have been watching. Daddy is on crutches and wasn’t going to go to the funeral but the limousine came to pick him up. They didn’t go to the burial so they were back within an hour.
“My brother thought something was wrong when he couldn’t get the key in the door. Then my sister in law looked in the window and saw the mess.”
Collete said it was the first time they had been the victims of criminality.
“We have lived here over 60 years and there was never anything like this happened. I have had people in and out of the house all through the years but there has never been anything like this.”
Hazel said her parents were still in shock.
“Who would stoop so low to do something like this? To rob two people in their 80s is bad enough but to do it when you know they are burying a loved one is just incredible. There’s no words for people like that, we are disgusted.”
PSNI Inspector Roy Watton appealed for information.
“On Wednesday January 7 an elderly couple were burgled while at a family funeral. A large amount of cash and personal property were taken while their home was ransacked and damaged and I would appeal to anyone who has any information in relation to this incident please contact police at Tennent Street on 101 or anonymously via Crimestopper on 0800 555 111.”

tboy

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2015, 09:01:20 PM »
A bone man playing GAA ? oh no we were too cute for that little invite :D