Author Topic: Odd Man Out  (Read 12866 times)

Eleanor

Odd Man Out
« on: March 15, 2009, 01:36:15 PM »
Film critics regularly give this film ten out of ten and say it is one of the best films ever made.  It is set in Belfast, so how come not one of the actors has a Belfast accent?  Practically everyone either has a Republic of Ireland or an English accent. Also, the main character, Johnny McQueen, tries to rob a bank and shoots dead a policeman, but everyone treats him like a hero. It was made a long time ago, but, in light of the events of the last forty years, it is distasteful to say the least. What do you think?
Hate the sin, but love the sinner

oldmovies

Re: Odd Man Out
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 02:19:30 PM »
eleanor i never quiet thought of it that way but it was a good film in its day as kids you just went to see the film din't matter about how they spoke when you went to see cowboys and indians the chief always spoke in english and wee thought nothing of it.
When Trouble Has Passed, God is Forgotten.

Shazza

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 02:34:40 PM »
There's a programme on Radio Ulster in the early hrs of sunday morning between 2am & 4am called Up All Night presented by Dotun Adebayo.  He, his guest(s) and joe public usually discuss films in great detail.  Caught a bit of the programme last night (this morning).  The topic was 'why people no longer go to the cinema'.  You might enjoy the programme Old Movies. You can listen to it online if you're sleeping when its broadcast.

glenb

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 03:50:28 PM »
Fantastic film, film noir, the dark foggy scenes at the end are great, the best film ever made in Belfast

Christopher

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 05:12:32 PM »
If you want Belfast accents have a look at Shellshock Rock which was directed and produced by John T. Davis.

Starring roles were played by musicians from Stiff Little Fingers ... Jake Burns, Henry Cluney, Brian Faloon and Ali McMordie.

Terry Hooley also starred in the film. 

arkie

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 06:58:06 PM »
99 PC. OF THE FILM WAS MADE IN ENGLAND,JUST LIKE ROUGHLY 80PC OF THE QUIET MAN WAS MADE IN THE USA. ODD MAN OUT SCENES WERE MOSTLY MOCK SETS . BEERSBRIDGE RD., BOOMER ST , AND THE FRONT OF THE CHAPEL ST. JOSEPHS AT THE DOCKS WERE ABOUT THE ONLY SHOTS OF BELFAST. THE CROWN BAR. WAS A SET SHOT IN A STUDIO IN ENGLAND. WHEN YOU SEE JOHNNY BEING TAKEN OUT OF THE PUB YOU,LL NOTICE THERE,S NO AMELIA ST. MAURA MILLIGAN, THE WEE GIRL ON THE SKATES GOES INTO AN AIRRAID SHELTER TO RETRIEVE A BALL. ALSO A SET. I WOULD GIVE IT 2 OUT OF TEN. I DON,T THINK IT WOULD GET A MENTION IN THE TOP 100. TO ME THE BEST FILM EVER MADE WAS THE GODFATHER. NOW THAT WAS SHEER CLASS. ;)

BigAgiesMan

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 07:03:40 PM »
99 PC. OF THE FILM WAS MADE IN ENGLAND,JUST LIKE ROUGHLY 80PC OF THE QUIET MAN WAS MADE IN THE USA. ODD MAN OUT SCENES WERE MOSTLY MOCK SETS . BEERSBRIDGE RD., BOOMER ST , AND THE FRONT OF THE CHAPEL ST. JOSEPHS AT THE DOCKS WERE ABOUT THE ONLY SHOTS OF BELFAST. THE CROWN BAR. WAS A SET SHOT IN A STUDIO IN ENGLAND. WHEN YOU SEE JOHNNY BEING TAKEN OUT OF THE PUB YOU,LL NOTICE THERE,S NO AMELIA ST. MAURA MILLIGAN, THE WEE GIRL ON THE SKATES GOES INTO AN AIRRAID SHELTER TO RETRIEVE A BALL. ALSO A SET. I WOULD GIVE IT 2 OUT OF TEN. I DON,T THINK IT WOULD GET A MENTION IN THE TOP 100. TO ME THE BEST FILM EVER MADE WAS THE GODFATHER. NOW THAT WAS SHEER CLASS. ;)

I think  Shergar ended up in that movie. It was the first time he ever won by a head 8)
Bord na Móna

gerard

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 07:05:59 PM »
but don't forget Eleanor these films are either Hollywood or British made think about it BRAD PITT and HARRISON FORD in a film about IRELAND what's going on  ??? ???

tboy

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 07:29:26 PM »
there was a ballymena actor in the odd man out,as it seemed to be raining in belfast at the time his part lacked'passion' :)

Ballymurphygirl

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 09:06:55 PM »
Film critics regularly give this film ten out of ten and say it is one of the best films ever made.  It is set in Belfast, so how come not one of the actors has a Belfast accent?  Practically everyone either has a Republic of Ireland or an English accent. Also, the main character, Johnny McQueen, tries to rob a bank and shoots dead a policeman, but everyone treats him like a hero. It was made a long time ago, but, in light of the events of the last forty years, it is distasteful to say the least. What do you think?

ODD MAN OUT as far as i was aware ( well i watched it again recently) was about the last 24hrs in the life of a terrorist on the run in,post war Belfast it was a bit cardboardy ,was it only given that satus because of the actors status :(
Thev accents were laughable  :D
The truth will set you free . I support Ballymurphy & Derry families Justice for the innocent

gerard

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 09:18:20 PM »
hello  i thought JAMES MASON played a very good part in that picture him being British no local ACDEMY AWARD WINNER;S  IN THOSE DAY'S  ;) ;)

Eleanor

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 10:05:28 AM »
but don't forget Eleanor these films are either Hollywood or British made think about it BRAD PITT and HARRISON FORD in a film about IRELAND what's going on  ??? ???

I have never watched any of the American versions of Irish history i.e. 'Patriot Games.'  Yes, 'Odd Man Out' was of its time, but film-making has moved on.

loneywalker

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 12:43:07 PM »
 "Odd Man Out" was the only film made about the IRA by the British up till then, and even then they were only ever referred to as "The Organisation" A better film was "The Informer" made by John Ford in 1937.

Eleanor

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 12:45:55 PM »
"Odd Man Out" was the only film made about the IRA by the British up till then, and even then they were only ever referred to as "The Organisation" A better film was "The Informer" made by John Ford in 1937.

I haven't seen The Informer but I'll look out for it.  Thanks! :)

Ballymurphygirl

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 02:08:13 PM »

true it was a great film that  ;)
The truth will set you free . I support Ballymurphy & Derry families Justice for the innocent