Author Topic: Odd Man Out  (Read 12933 times)

Montrose

• Account Closed
Re: Odd Man Out
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 02:46:39 PM »

"The Informer" starred Victor Mc Laglen who wins an Oscar for the part of "Gypo Nolan" and John Ford got an Oscar for best direction. I watched the movie some years ago, it was very dated and I was disappointed. However, at the time it was made 1935-1936, I suppose it was good entertainment. Mostly American actors acted it and even Mc Laglen was English Born. In later years “Odd Man Out” and some other movies "Jacqueline "about a shipyard worker and his family. “Titanic City” have featured Belfast in the storyline, a lot have tried to capture the situation, and people of  Belfast mostly failing in my opinion “The Boxer “ with Daniel Day Lewis was one of the better efforts. Recently “The Wind that Shakes the Barley” and “Hunger “has got more to the point of the troubles in Ireland. The last named is a powerful film about one of the worst times in Irish History Bobby Sands and the Hunger Strike,  a moving story of our times. Eleanor from a curiosity point of view “The Informer” is worth seeing, but do not expect too much you may be disappointed.
Montrose

"I've learned that the people you care most about in life, are taken from you too soon, and the real pains in the ass are permanent. "

boxer1949

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 03:50:09 PM »
Two Carrick Hill men were in the film got them from the boys home in milltown Bunty Mc Guinness RIP & Coke McAteer RIP Bunty was the one who said Have you a fag mister. He used to get a few bob every time it was on tv

boxer1949

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 03:58:53 PM »
Another film was ban here to Shake hands with the Devil James Cagney it was on RTE a few years back what a load of crap :wild:

Eleanor

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 07:44:57 PM »

"The Informer" starred Victor Mc Laglen who wins an Oscar for the part of "Gypo Nolan" and John Ford got an Oscar for best direction. I watched the movie some years ago, it was very dated and I was disappointed. However, at the time it was made 1935-1936, I suppose it was good entertainment. Mostly American actors acted it and even Mc Laglen was English Born. In later years “Odd Man Out” and some other movies "Jacqueline "about a shipyard worker and his family. “Titanic City” have featured Belfast in the storyline, a lot have tried to capture the situation, and people of  Belfast mostly failing in my opinion “The Boxer “ with Daniel Day Lewis was one of the better efforts. Recently “The Wind that Shakes the Barley” and “Hunger “has got more to the point of the troubles in Ireland. The last named is a powerful film about one of the worst times in Irish History Bobby Sands and the Hunger Strike,  a moving story of our times. Eleanor from a curiosity point of view “The Informer” is worth seeing, but do not expect too much you may be disappointed.

I won't expect too much.  Film making has come a long way since the thirties. I've yet to see 'Hunger' but I thought 'The Wind TSTB' and 'Titanic Town' were both very good.  I also enjoyed 'The Mighty Celt,' even though two of the principal actors were Scots and one was English. :)
Hate the sin, but love the sinner

Kraffy

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 02:09:15 PM »
A good movie for its time, beautifully filmed, although not much in Belfast.

Eleanor

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2009, 04:45:09 PM »
A good movie for its time, beautifully filmed, although not much in Belfast.

Beautifully filmed, but so sentimental, and all those English and mock-Irish accents! ::)
Hate the sin, but love the sinner

shamrock249

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2009, 06:37:24 PM »
99 PC. OF THE FILM WAS MADE IN ENGLAND,JUST LIKE ROUGHLY 80PC OF THE QUIET MAN WAS MADE IN THE USA. ODD MAN OUT SCENES WERE MOSTLY MOCK SETS . BEERSBRIDGE RD., BOOMER ST , AND THE FRONT OF THE CHAPEL ST. JOSEPHS AT THE DOCKS WERE ABOUT THE ONLY SHOTS OF BELFAST. THE CROWN BAR. WAS A SET SHOT IN A STUDIO IN ENGLAND. WHEN YOU SEE JOHNNY BEING TAKEN OUT OF THE PUB YOU,LL NOTICE THERE,S NO AMELIA ST. MAURA MILLIGAN, THE WEE GIRL ON THE SKATES GOES INTO AN AIRRAID SHELTER TO RETRIEVE A BALL. ALSO A SET. I WOULD GIVE IT 2 OUT OF TEN. I DON,T THINK IT WOULD GET A MENTION IN THE TOP 100. TO ME THE BEST FILM EVER MADE WAS THE GODFATHER. NOW THAT WAS SHEER CLASS. ;)

The entry between Garnet St and Cape St in the Falls Rd area was used for a scene in the film. The crew wet down all the walls for effect and a couple of actors were flimed running down the entry from the Ross St end.
Signed   Mrs Cullen's wee son Jimmy.

floral

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2009, 10:19:48 PM »
true it was a great film that  ;)

Ballymurphygirl I think I am getting this film mixed up is this the one with Victor McLaglen

Ballymurphygirl

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2009, 10:30:03 PM »
Ballymurphygirl I think I am getting this film mixed up is this the one with Victor McLaglen

Floral, THe Informer was a very old filum from years ago , as was Odd Man out , i have Odd man out on DVD i understood it better 2nd time round , i havent seen "The Informer" for many years  O0

Victor Mc Laglen was in The Informer
The truth will set you free . I support Ballymurphy & Derry families Justice for the innocent

arkie

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2009, 11:53:39 PM »
SHAMROCK, THAT WAS PETER GRAHAM FROM GARNET ST. NEVER DID USE THE SHOOT.

shamrock249

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2013, 03:48:18 PM »
"Odd Man Out" was the only film made about the IRA by the British up till then, and even then they were only ever referred to as "The Organisation" A better film was "The Informer" made by John Ford in 1937.

I just finished watching 'Shake Hands With the Devil' (1959, James Cagney) (I have it on DVD) and enjoyed it. I believe it was Richard Harris's first feature film.

doare.

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2013, 07:06:40 PM »

I just finished watching 'Shake Hands With the Devil' (1959, James Cagney) (I have it on DVD) and enjoyed it. I believe it was Richard Harris's first feature film.
lenehan the schoolteacher? was preston foster the "man" in that one, another Englishman trying an irish role.... james cagney was lenehan?
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?” ....shaw..

doare.

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2013, 07:09:02 PM »
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?” ....shaw..

shamrock249

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2013, 07:10:12 PM »

doare.

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2013, 07:11:17 PM »

"odd man out" a scene in boundary st at the top of boomer st, I worked down the bottom of the entry when I was a kid, I was message boy for james garvey's the painting company.the shop is billy irvines...