Author Topic: Odd Man Out  (Read 12932 times)

Willie

Re: Odd Man Out
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2013, 08:45:22 PM »
The camera shot is taken from outside number 11 Boomer Street. Mary Boyland's house, my granny. My mother remembers the film crew spraying the street with water to make it seem like a rainy night.

doare.

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2013, 11:09:48 PM »
The camera shot is taken from outside number 11 Boomer Street. Mary Boyland's house, my granny. My mother remembers the film crew spraying the street with water to make it seem like a rainy night.
there is another scene with the fugitive running up the steps in the boom, the kids on the steps playing cards are from boomer st, the sullivans, armstrongs.it was made in 47 I was 5 then, cant say I remember the activity.
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

na heite

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2013, 11:43:02 PM »
"I am a drinker with writing problems." (Brendan Behan)

cyprus girl

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2013, 11:48:57 PM »
na heite do you have a pic of the scene when the little girl comes down the street on one skate, her name is Maureen and she is a cousin of my mother, she lives here in Vancouver :)
Queenio, queenio who's got the ball-eo

Burnsy

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2013, 12:29:04 AM »
na heite do you have a pic of the scene when the little girl comes down the street on one skate, her name is Maureen and she is a cousin of my mother, she lives here in Vancouver :)

Did she ever find the other skate :D
It's Nice to be Nice.!!

na heite

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2013, 12:50:30 AM »

Is this her?

na heite

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2013, 01:10:26 AM »
Yes, it's her...the girl with the one skate. Took me a while to find the scene.

na heite

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2013, 01:40:46 AM »
Burnsey,  I believe the litle girl was related in some way to the great Joseph Tumelty so there is a great acting line in the family. The wee lass was paid 5.10 for each  day on the set, so must have been the most popular girl in her school, that would have been a small fortune to a youngster then, The inside of the Crown Bar was built in a studio in England where almost the entire film was made.

cyprus girl

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2013, 02:10:16 AM »

Did she ever find the other skate :D
Do you know what you are :prankster: :to_clue: :D

cyprus girl

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2013, 02:14:46 AM »
Burnsey,  I believe the litle girl was related in some way to the great Joseph Tumelty so there is a great acting line in the family. The wee lass was paid 5.10 for each  day on the set, so must have been the most popular girl in her school, that would have been a small fortune to a youngster then, The inside of the Crown Bar was built in a studio in England where almost the entire film was made.
Thanks na heite, I dont know about her being related to the Tumelty's and she never did any more acting after this, one of these days i'm gonna give her a call and ask her for more details. :)

Sally Ann

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2013, 04:00:50 AM »
[/font][/size]
I only got drunk, I never got stupid!

Sally Ann

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2013, 04:01:27 AM »
 ???

Me Photo never posted! >:D

Sally Ann

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2013, 04:03:24 AM »
Anyways, the film was made in 1947, and Joe Tomelty's daughter Frances, who looks so like that wee girl, wasn't even born till 1948! ;)

EllCee

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2013, 11:47:06 PM »
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

na heite

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2013, 12:35:54 AM »
 James Mason was not the first choice for the role of Johnny McQueen. It was first offered to Stewart Granger, who flicked through the script to check the number of lines he would have, and turned it down as not being a big enough part. He should have checked the stage directions!   
 William Alwyn's score was composed and recorded before the film was completed, to enable the actors in the last few scenes to listen to the music while they filmed, and so encourage them to match their steps to the underlying beat.   
 The Crown Liquor Saloon in Great Victoria Street, Belfast, provided the location for some of the exterior shots, together with Boomer Street, Cupar Street and Queen's Square, Belfast.   
 The book on which the film was based was written by F.L. (Laurie) Green, an Englishman who went to Belfast on holiday and liked it so much he stayed for eighteen years   
 The street urchins were played by boys from the old Milltown Industrial School.   
 The small girl on the roller skate was played by Joseph Tomelty's niece Maura Shields, who was paid 5.10 shillings for each camera working day   
 Many of the supporting cast were actors from the famous Abbey Theatre in Dublin.