Author Topic: Odd Man Out  (Read 12871 times)

Sally Ann

Re: Odd Man Out
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2013, 04:07:06 AM »
Now here's the thing, and I'm no siding either which way! ;)

Arkie states in his comments, posted on 15/03/2009 that yon wee girl in the 'Odd Man Out', was called 'Maura Milligan'.

Some have intimated that She was related till Joe Tomelty.

Another poster claims, that she lives in Andytown still.

CyprusGirl has stated that she was a relation, and is now living in Canada.

So for what's it's worth, this is what I know or understand.

Joe Tomelty, lived in Dover Street, off Divis ST.

Married the daughter of the then Local Actress, Min Milligan.  Joe, at that stage, was as aul as his Mother in Law.  ;)

However, they had two daughters, Frances & Roma. Maura Milligan would have been Joes' niece, and, ISFAIK, that's how she got the part in the film. Maura, now Shields, does in fact, live in Lwr Andersonstown.   ;)
I only got drunk, I never got stupid!

doare.

« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2013, 07:44:30 AM »
Now here's the thing, and I'm no siding either which way! ;)

Arkie states in his comments, posted on 15/03/2009 that yon wee girl in the 'Odd Man Out', was called 'Maura Milligan'.

Some have intimated that She was related till Joe Tomelty.

Another poster claims, that she lives in Andytown still.

CyprusGirl has stated that she was a relation, and is now living in Canada.

So for what's it's worth, this is what I know or understand.

Joe Tomelty, lived in Dover Street, off Divis ST.

Married the daughter of the then Local Actress, Min Milligan.  Joe, at that stage, was as aul as his Mother in Law.  ;)

However, they had two daughters, Frances & Roma. Maura Milligan would have been Joes' niece, and, ISFAIK, that's how she got the part in the film. Maura, now Shields, does in fact, live in Lwr Andersonstown.   ;)
he did live in dover st I believe, then he moved to stockmans lane when he gathered up a wean of bucks... ;)
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

sherri

« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2013, 09:35:43 PM »
I am currently watching the film 'Odd man out' out of curiousity. My grandmother told me last St Patricks day about our Irish roots. Well My Great-grandfathers sister was Min Milligan! Her daughter being Maura Milligan who married Joseph Tomelty. Together they had 2 daughters Roma and Frances. Frances was Stings first wife and they had 2 children. Our family were from the mountains near Belfast but most of them moved to California and were in the film industry. I am trying to do a family tree and i don't know where to start really. The family name in Ireland was Brierly/Brierley. I think Min Milligan was Father Toms housekeeper. I'm not sure if the nurse was Maura Milligan, as she looks familiar.

wolfhound

« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2013, 11:07:45 AM »
joe tumelty ended his days living at sandy lane blackrock dundalk i spoke to him many a time while out walking.        wolf
amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic

ias

« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2014, 06:33:33 PM »
Odd Man Out is a great film, very film noir, much in the vain of The Third Man. The film's opening intertitle reads: "This story is told against a background of political unrest in a city of Northern Ireland. It is not concerned with the struggle between the law and an illegal organisation, but only with the conflict in the hearts of the people when they become unexpectedly involved."

The Mullhouse building (now in the grounds of the RVH) was where the robbery was carried out. The safe used in the film is now on display in Queens University Medical Library on the ground floor of the building, the first floor still has the wooden panelling, that can be seen in the film during the robbery scene.

Jennifer_O

« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2020, 09:14:42 PM »
Hi there, I googled Maura Milligan Belfast and came across this forum. Maura Milligan, now Maura Shields, the little girl with 1 skate, is my much adored nanny : ) she does indeed live in Andersonstown and is 84 years old next week. I had a socially distant visit with my nanny yesterday and we yarned away about her younger years, telling me all about Min and Joseph, Lena, Frances and Roma, who sadly passed away a few weeks back : ( and many other family members. She LOVES talking about her younger years. I cannot wait to show her the comments in this forum, she will be thrilled ! : )

arkie two

« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2020, 06:47:29 PM »
TELL HER DESY AND BETTY WERE ASKING ABOUT HER. I WAS SPEAKING TO HER IN SAINSBURYS A MONTH OR TWO AGO. SHE STILL IS BEAUTIFUL. HER AND FRANKIE WERE GREAT BALLROOM DANCERS AHH YES THE BEAUTIFUL PAST.  LISTEN TO DUSTY SPRINGFIELD SINGING  GOING BACK. AND THE BEE GEES FOURTH OF MAY.. SAYS IT ALL.
                                                    ARKIE.