Author Topic: Wanted- Large Hall for ongoing Weekly Hire  (Read 4792 times)

Dee83

Wanted- Large Hall for ongoing Weekly Hire
« on: March 19, 2009, 09:10:16 PM »
Hi There

i am looking for a large hall with wooden floor and preferably a stage (altho we can organise to get one made if we can store it at the venue). It needs to be available on a Wednesday night from 7-11pm. Also it needs to be under 100 per night. We would like to move our classes in to the venue ASAP preferably by the end of april.

Church halls, community halls, social clubs and the like are all welcome recommendations.

We hold a dance class and our numbers have grown so much that we cant fit into the venue we currently have. We have been looking for months now and coming up empty handed.

Please please please can you help! I'm not sure i am allowed to put a contact email on here but if you have suggestions please PM me or post here!

Thanking you in advance! :)

Christopher

Re: Wanted- Large Hall for ongoing Weekly Hire
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 09:58:21 PM »
Hi Dee,

Does the locality matter ... does it have to be close to the city centre?

As a matter of interest where does your dance class hold it's sessions at the moment and where have you looked?

Christopher

Dee83

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 10:06:37 PM »
Does not have to be city centre but we have dancers coming from the far reaches of Banbridge, Dungannon and Coleraine for our weekly classes so as central as possible.

We have looked around the outer ring so more or less anywhere within the "belfast district"

We currently hold it in a function room in BT9 but at 80 people its too small and we are often getting over 100. It is a function room that officially holds 170 but not when we are jiving!

Christopher

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 10:26:19 PM »
Try Nigel Martyn of Oldflattop.com www.oldflattop.com It's an outside chance but he might know of somewhere. A message on one of the boards on http://freeni.forumotion.com as well as messages on Belfast Gumtree and the Forum on www.ebherald.com may produce a result. I've already made
one post relating to your query on the MySpace Bulletin board and will make a few more there.

What about the College of Art, Queen's or even Stranmillis ... have you approached them?

Dee83

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 10:36:04 PM »
Thanks shall start posting!

We have tried most of the main places ie Queens and Stran were very unhelpful. One blantantly said no the dont hire out and the other got very confused and told me when she found out who would speak to me, they would call me back.  still waiting 6 months later (yes the venue search has been going on that long)

Where is the college of art? might try them!

Christopher

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 10:41:47 PM »
Thanks shall start posting!

We have tried most of the main places ie Queens and Stran were very unhelpful. One blantantly said no the dont hire out and the other got very confused and told me when she found out who would speak to me, they would call me back.  still waiting 6 months later (yes the venue search has been going on that long)

Where is the college of art? might try them!

It's the York Street Campus of the University of Ulster ... across the road from the Central Library in Royal Avenue

Christopher

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 03:55:17 AM »
Hi Dee,

Have you tried the Francis McPeake School of Music? It's located at 2, Gloucester Street. I'm sorry I don't know much about the size of their premises or whether they have a large room but if they have one they might appreciate hearing from you. Contact details: www.francismcpeake.com/contact.php?mcpsform=mcpsign How about the Oh! Yeah Centre in Gordon Street as www.ohyeahbelfast.com/about_us.php

Christopher

Dee83

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 09:48:11 AM »
Hi Christopher

I am calling round these places over the next couple of days as well as a few others i have looked into. Thanks for the help!

Christopher

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 08:54:53 PM »
Dee,

Have you been in touch with the BELB? They have a youth centre on the Palmerston Road which has been lying idle for a few years. I haven't a clue how many empty premises the Board owns but I know about this one thanks to the Palmerston Residents Association who would love to see the place being used again. http://the-association.spaces.live.com

Christopher

Christopher

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 11:36:24 PM »
Hi Dee,

I posted a message re a large hall on the MySpace bulletin board last night ... a reply has just arrived re a hall in the city centre.

I've posted you a PM with details. By the way it is available on Wednesdays.

Christopher

nikki06xxx

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 08:45:51 PM »
hi dee have you tried st kevins hall in north queen street they have a few different halls would be well worth looking at it once belonged to st patricks church on donegal street but has been taking over now i'll try and get the phone number for you as it is not listed on the web

Christopher

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 10:05:23 PM »
hi dee have you tried st kevins hall in north queen street they have a few different halls would be well worth looking at it once belonged to st patricks church on donegal street but has been taking over now i'll try and get the phone number for you as it is not listed on the web

New Lodge Bytes meet at St Kevin's Hall. This may be the Bytes phone number 028 90 330135       

Dee83

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 06:29:47 PM »
thanks Nikki.

Any info would be great

Dee83

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 10:08:38 PM »
Hi guys

firstly i want to start by thanking everyone for all their suggestions of venues for me.

We have found a fab new venue, not quite as big as we had hoped but have decided that TWO slightly bigger and better venues are better than one massive one.

thank you so much

dee x