Author Topic: Panton Street  (Read 20592 times)

teragram

Re: Panton Street
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 06:49:13 PM »
I think there was a snooker hall at the top of Panton St, left hand side going up .
If you don't do it you won't get caught.

McNamee

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 07:00:45 PM »
I think it was right hand side going up from the school.  New people lived in that St  called Kerr and oh I have forgotten the other name.

KDoc

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 07:36:38 PM »
Did Marie Mateer go to St Louises?
No,mother went to Fortwilliam.
Ms Kevin Doc

charles w

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 11:28:24 PM »
I think there was a snooker hall at the top of Panton St, left hand side going up .
There was one going up Panton Street towards the Falls Road on the right side.  Simey Clark was the owner.  The pellers were frequent visitors to it as it was a gambling den also.

gerrymac

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2009, 06:18:59 AM »
The Gambling place at the top of Panton St was known as the SHOTS
Gerry Mac

mikee

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 04:47:32 AM »
KDoc. .Yer mom is right I'm one O' em and swung around the lamp post outside yer great aunts Rose's house maybe even had your uncle Paul push me a few times

mikee

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 04:52:34 AM »
The Gambling place at the top of Panton St was known as the SHOTS
Gerry Mac
Youse are right Clark Bro's did rent the shots from granny Garland from Alma St. Nee Susanne Sheilds. After the shots it became The Cullingtree Upholstery owned by Vinty Hamilton from Albert St. Sadly a pipe bomb was planted there and killed Vinty. Patsy and Joe McDonnell both served there apprenticeshops there.

C.G

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 07:58:39 PM »
Hi Mikee,the bomb was not planted in panton street but in his other store in the sultan street area where sadly he died

peter mc caffrey

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2010, 10:20:36 PM »
i grew up in alma st across from the falls baths,if you go to you tube ,type in operation banner ,part two has the school on video at 3 mins 44 secs ,operation banner was taken by the brits in 69,i went to st peters ,great old times there.

arkie

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2010, 10:25:20 PM »
PETER, DID YOU GET WILLIE VAL'S WHISTLE, OR CANE? :D

Tham

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2011, 10:30:32 PM »
My mom is Maureen Monaghan from 40 Panton St.  My Uncle Paul and mom came to US in 1955.  Marie Mateer and my mom are still close.  My mom remembers the O'Hara's well also.  KDoc we met at my granddads house in Sea Cliff many years ago.
Timmy

arkie

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2011, 11:54:45 PM »
FRANKIE O HANLON LIVED IN PANTON ST.

KDoc

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2011, 04:05:19 PM »
My mom is Maureen Monaghan from 40 Panton St.  My Uncle Paul and mom came to US in 1955.  Marie Mateer and my mom are still close.  My mom remembers the O'Hara's well also.  KDoc we met at my granddads house in Sea Cliff many years ago.
Hi Timmy , have video of that family gathering somewhere . Will try to dig it out .How's everyone stateside ?
Ms Kevin Doc

zippy

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2011, 11:50:54 PM »
The ghost story about the Panton Street school has been told for years but a different version to the gas explosion.

the story i was told was that there was a party in the school and something made the kids run to the stairs. they all panicked and there was a crush after they fell down the stairs.

The story has it that you can still hear those poor little souls crying ata certain time.

Don't shoot the messenger
Pro deum et patria

Tham

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2011, 07:27:30 PM »
Hi Timmy , have video of that family gathering somewhere . Will try to dig it out .How's everyone stateside ?
Kevin,
All is well here.  We are all excited my mom is going back to Belfast to spend time with your mom and her cousins/friends.  It is something that is long over due.  I believe she will be staying with your mom most of the trip.  I would love to be a fly on the wall when they get started telling stories from when they were young.  They are always funny.  I love the stories of the nuns at the school!!!
-Timmy
Timmy