Author Topic: 29, Malone Place  (Read 1994 times)

Christopher

29, Malone Place
« on: March 29, 2009, 01:48:26 PM »
During 1921-3 29, Malone Place was a Rescue and Maternity Home - Miss Blackburn, matron. In 1900 the Home occupied 29-31, Malone Place so it must have had a good name as they were able to purchase the adjoining properties prior to the 1920s. Sixteen years previously (in 1884) the entry is shown as 29 & 31, Kildare, matron Rescue Home. I wonder if that was a Mrs or Miss Kildare or was the building called "Kildare" ? In the 1940 directory the Home appears to have sold off a couple of properties as it only occupied No. 31. Maybe it  was getting too much for Miss Blackburn. Well by 1950 Miss Blackburn had retired and Miss Hamilton was the Matron. In 1960 the Home was known as Malone Place Hospital .. Matron ..Miss D. Hamilton`Trendy titles appear to be the rage by 1970 - The Home's name had been changed to the Malone Place Practitioner's Maternity Hospital ... Miss R. E. Pelan .. Asst. Matron. The 1990 directory lists the Home as a Community Health Clinic.

Lea1976

Re: 29, Malone Place
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 12:12:18 PM »
Hi do you know anything about M Dodds she/he has their name next to a lot of the birth entries ?! I think I have my grandads mothers name but can't find his fathers xx

CMcG

Re: 29, Malone Place
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 04:28:04 PM »

Hi do you know anything about M Dodds she/he has their name next to a lot of the birth entries ?! I think I have my grandads mothers name but can't find his fathers xx

M Dodds was the nurse working to the matron in charge (Lily Blackburn) at that maternity/rescue hospital at that time. 

The father's name doesn't appear in the 1912 birth registration I posted in the other topic, indicating that Malachy was born out of wedlock. The only other documented detail is that his mother was a servant called Margaret O'Donnell, the Ireland census from the previous year will show potential candidates:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

The father's details cited in Malachy's 1935 marriage registration need to be considered in that light, various possibilities present themselves, including the possibility that he was adopted by the Kellys.  Family lore may help.