Author Topic: Racist attacks in Belfast  (Read 6095 times)

St.Anthony

Racist attacks in Belfast
« on: March 30, 2009, 02:54:56 AM »
Wasn't it disgraceful the racist attacks on members of the Polish community in Belfast on Saturday night.  Up to a dozen houses were damaged.  Despicable.

Veronica

Re: Racist attacks in Belfast
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 03:08:55 AM »
Wasn't it disgraceful the racist attacks on members of the Polish community in Belfast on Saturday night.  Up to a dozen houses were damaged.  Despicable.
OMG...that is horrible...my brother is married to a polish girl...she and her family are the sweetest, most loving group of people I know....disgraceful isnt even the word.... :(
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetari

pussy-galore

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 03:22:48 AM »
Despicable indeed.

sj

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 03:34:38 AM »

St Anthony ...fill me in ...Iam overseas so don't know what happened and why. ?
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

St.Anthony

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 08:42:34 AM »
St Anthony ...fill me in ...Iam overseas so don't know what happened and why. ?

It is believed these attacks were as a result of the earlier rioting before and after the Northern Ireland V Poland World Cup football match at Windsor Park.  Both sets of supporters were engaged in running battles in the city centre and around the ground.  There were minor disturbances in the ground and a linesman was injured by a missile that hit him on the head. It may have been a coin.  The match was stopped for 5 minutes while he received treatment.  Polish supporters were allocated around 1,000 tickets but about 6,000 supporters turned up.  It is being reported that some of them were intent on trouble.

I am just reading The Irish News and they are reporing that Polish, Hungarian, Lithuanian and Slovenian homes were attacked.  I would assume these were attacks by racists using the earlier trouble at the match
as cover or an excuse for their attacks.

Eleanor

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 09:56:03 AM »
I hope the police pursue the criminals vigorously. >:(
Hate the sin, but love the sinner

Loiste na mona

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 11:27:25 AM »
It is believed these attacks were as a result of the earlier rioting before and after the Northern Ireland V Poland World Cup football match at Windsor Park.  Both sets of supporters were engaged in running battles in the city centre and around the ground.  There were minor disturbances in the ground and a linesman was injured by a missile that hit him on the head. It may have been a coin.  The match was stopped for 5 minutes while he received treatment.  Polish supporters were allocated around 1,000 tickets but about 6,000 supporters turned up.  It is being reported that some of them were intent on trouble.

I am just reading The Irish News and they are reporing that Polish, Hungarian, Lithuanian and Slovenian homes were attacked.  I would assume these were attacks by racists using the earlier trouble at the match
as cover or an excuse for their attacks.
I t wouldn't have been helped by a certain/cretin politican announcing on the radio news that she had evidence that the majority of those arrested were polish and residents here.

Ballymurphygirl

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 03:07:20 PM »
Shame on the cretins  >:( >:( >:(
The truth will set you free . I support Ballymurphy & Derry families Justice for the innocent

Paul.W

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 11:41:03 AM »
The only ones to blame are the Polish supporters they kicked of long before the match started it is very rare
N.Ireland matches at home have trouble I seen the Polish supporters the next day at the airport with their carry outs ranting I did not like what I seen we have had our fair share of trouble over the years and we certainly do not need foreigners living here or not creating trouble for us we deserve some bloody peace now. >:(

orlaith

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 12:10:34 PM »
The only ones to blame are the Polish supporters they kicked of long before the match started it is very rare
N.Ireland matches at home have trouble I seen the Polish supporters the next day at the airport with their carry outs ranting I did not like what I seen we have had our fair share of trouble over the years and we certainly do not need foreigners living here or not creating trouble for us we deserve some bloody peace now. >:(
COULD"NT AGREE WITH YOU MORE,, NOW WHEN ARE THE BRITS WITHDRAWING,,,,, ;) ;)
irish language act now!

orlaith

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 12:20:17 PM »
Shame on the cretins  >:( >:( >:(
  Migrant workers have spoken of their terror and confusion as almost a dozen homes were attacked in the hours after Saturday’s Northern Ireland v Poland soccer international.

Slovenian, Hungarian, Lithuanian and Polish families were all targeted as racist gangs went on the rampage in the mainly loyalist Village area of south Belfast.

Windows were broken and doors kicked in following violence among rival fans at nearby Tate’s Avenue and around Windsor Park before, during and after Northern Ireland’s 3-2 victory over Poland.

Police last night said migrant workers in the area were not involved in the earlier trouble and appealed for an end to all attacks.

Martin Palacka from Slovenia was yesterday moving out of his home on Donegall Avenue.

The 32-year-old said he was downstairs in the rented property with his girlfriend when a window was smashed in at about 8.15pm.

“They smashed the window and started to kick the door. They were trying to get in,’’ he said.

“They were shouting a lot of abuse. I looked out quickly and saw three young fellas, but then it became a crowd of eight to 10 people.

“I ran back into the house and upstairs where my girlfriend was screa-ming. She was in tears and shaking. I phoned 999 and it took the police 10 minutes to get here. It was a long time.”

Mr Palacka branded those who attacked his house as “ignorant”.

“I can’t understand how the older people in this area are so polite and good and the younger people are ignorant and arrogant,” he said.

“This was a Poland match – I am from Slovenia and have nothing to do with anything.”

The home of an English man had its windows broken.

The 35-year-old said he was out at the cinema with his children aged 12 and nine and arrived home to see the damage.

“I’m from Liverpool. I know the house had eastern Europeans living in it before me – I suspect it might be that – but it doesn’t matter who this is done to, it’s wrong” he said.

Gregory Peter, a Polish national, also had his front downstairs window smashed and his door kicked in.

Elena Makasfjeva from Lithuania said she was sitting at home in the Village area at around 10pm when a window beside her was smashed in.

The 51-year-old was in the house she shares with her 13-year-old daughter and her friend when a group of young people pelted missiles at the property.

Visibly shaken and distressed, Ms Makasfjeva said she had no idea why she was attacked.

“My daughter was crying, and I was shaking and crying when the police came,” she said.

“These were very young people – about 12 or 13 – who I saw doing this. There were about 20 outside.

“I have lived here since 2008 and I am very happy and my neighbours are all very nice, so I will be staying.

“We are good neighbours and I work so much. I am glad I was not at work because my daughter would have been alone in the house.”

Police confirmed last night they are investigating a number of reports of criminal damage to properties in south and also east Belfast.

“Police are treating these incidents, during which a number of properties had windows broken, as racially motivated attacks and are urging the local community not to become drawn into any form of reprisal.

“These incidents only serve to increase tensions with local Polish residents, who had no connection with yesterday’s events,” a police spokesperson said.

“The significant focus of the police investigation into yesterday’s disorder remains on a group of Polish supporters who travelled to Northern Ireland, without match tickets, but with the clear intent of causing trouble.”

irish language act now!

Loiste na mona

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 12:30:36 PM »
Naughty, naughty,
but nice

EllCee

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 12:32:47 PM »
"NOW WHEN ARE THE BRITS WITHDRAWING"

All 900,000 of them? 

Remember citizens of the EU can live in any member country of the EU.  So why should yopu expect the Brits leave Ireland?  Have the Spanish, French, Dutch, Italians and Portuguese, for example, to leave too?

"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Paul.W

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 12:33:51 PM »
ask your local politicians between them and the DUP they are bound to know. As I have said the blame lies with
the Polish supporters who kicked off first I am sorry about the whole affair but if they had no tickets why come here??????.

Christopher

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 12:51:06 PM »

Should the Picts send the Scots back to Ireland if the Brits have to go back to England ???

ask your local politicians between them and the DUP they are bound to know. As I have said the blame lies with
the Polish supporters who kicked off first I am sorry about the whole affair but if they had no tickets why come here??????.

I heard a Polish guy on a radio programme yesterday explaining that those who had come here without a ticket were members of a group of known trouble makers who have caused trouble at a number of matches in which their national team have played.