Author Topic: James Mackie & Sons  (Read 1001350 times)

Paul.W

Re: James Mackie & Sons
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2009, 08:14:22 PM »
hi leaky,    sorry to hear about Ernie, he was my rate fixer the 10 years i worked in mackies, tough but fair wee man, he was a good sailor if i remember correct. sam.
Hi Leaky and Melv I remember Ernie lovely man had some run ins with him over times ha ha but sorry to hear about him passing away. 

tboy

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
I worked in Mackies in 1967, in the B.A.M.department.  All I remember about it was, I used to work a machine that drilled holes in aluminium plates.
thank you teragram, talk about manufactured jobs, there you have it.at the time i asked a contempory(we lived in a mixed estate) what exactly did he do? he didn,t know! :)

Paul.W

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2009, 08:26:23 PM »
Hi Melv I worked in the Card shop I was a 3rd year apprentice fitter then one time we had very little work and wee Joe sent me next door to subs  ( bench work ) and the foreman was Blair Travara what a ??? he was
I got out of there and went onto the wetring spinning I remember Harry ok but the foreman I remember was
Jimmy Gray do you know him?.

canadianeh08

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2009, 08:32:04 PM »
my dad worked in the main factory on the springfield rd he worked in Store A I think,,,His name was Isaac Moore...think it was around 1970-1980s when he retired....anyone know him

Liz51

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2009, 08:32:29 PM »
does anyone remember a mardo murphy that work there

melv

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2009, 12:06:11 AM »
Hi Melv I worked in the Card shop I was a 3rd year apprentice fitter then one time we had very little work and wee Joe sent me next door to subs  ( bench work ) and the foreman was Blair Travara what a ??? he was
I got out of there and went onto the wetring spinning I remember Harry ok but the foreman I remember was
Jimmy Gray do you know him?.
yes paul, i remember them both well, jimmy was the foreman of the sub assembly when i  served my time in 74
i know he had health problems but is  still about , i saw him in the abbey centre a few weeks ago, hasn't changed much.  trying to remember some of the lads from the card shop i worked with,  Joe beef, Johnny larkins, Bertie the charge hand, some real charactors.   sam.
C.O.Y.S.

leaky

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2009, 12:57:03 AM »
Yes melve ..Ernie was quite an avid sailor,and if my memory serves me well he was all ireland GP champion three years in a row. He was also quite a good bass player,i played guitar in a band with him for quite a few years.
Im surprised you didnt mention Maysie as she worked in mackies at the same time
quite the workplace romance!
                                              leaky
get aff ma fut.

big mamma

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2009, 12:11:04 PM »
Does anyone remember Hugh Campbell who worked at Mackies?  I think he also worked with a man called Stanley Barnes.  And I vaguely remember a Winkie Brown. 
doses any one remember the gentle giant big martin corbett from st james area regards bm

our bobby

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2009, 05:52:22 AM »
I served my apprenticeship in Mackies from 1960-67 then I left for Canada.
I started in the Sliver spinning ,Geordie Scott was the foreman, Joe Beef {Fleming} worked there and I still remember a lot of the old timers who worked there.

I moved to the toolroom where Jack Brackinridge was the foreman, Derek Menice, Scrap Robinson, and Wilf Townly are some of the names I remember.

My Dad worked in the Bakelite shop Artie Glencross, with my future Sister in law Sadie Montgomery, also My Uncle Sammy Killow worked in the maintenance .

Sadie and my Uncle Sammy are now living in Canada

I would love to hear from anyone who worked there at that time.

Headline boat man

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2009, 08:10:49 AM »
I never worked in mackies but I knew an old gentleman who worked there all his working life.
Francie trew,as far as I know he straightened spindles.  Francie died a few years ago. He rode his bicycle from rathcoole everyday and never missed a day through illness.

bluesue

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2009, 11:32:14 AM »
Hi,

My husband Ernie Hall, worked in the shipping office 63-65, with a Jim Bowden.

Wondered if anyone remembered him.

Sue

parkboy

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2009, 07:35:25 PM »
hi our bobby, i remember your dad artie well , i worked in the bakalite dept too , the foremen were jimmy gray (still living ) charlie mckemmy, and head foreman was davy jackson , i was in the glueing section where i met my wife(we have stuck together ever since  lol) artie was a great easy going guy, worked a press , him and my dad was good friends, my dad was in the bobbin assembly part of the bakelite, later called "plastic dept" . had lots of friends there. mackies is sorely missed by the ex workers .  bad management caused their demise

AL CAPONE

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2009, 07:40:53 PM »
Anyone remember Brendan Lambe?

Paul.W

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2009, 08:29:29 PM »
anyone remember Tommy Kelly experimental No 1 and a very Good friend of mine Jackie Maxwell who passed away a good few years ago and the Loony any one remember him ? >:( I had some good laughs there the other foreman i recall is Leslie Henderson over the S4As in the West Factory. I remember Jackie telling me Mackies had Troughs for Toilets and when he was an apprentice he used to roll paper up and light it and it would float down the trough were the men would all be sitting doing their business and roast the asses of them. anyone got any stories of Mackies come on folks. 

Headline boat man

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2009, 07:41:05 AM »
Know that happened in the [censored] yard or the Ship yard.