Author Topic: James Mackie & Sons  (Read 1001356 times)

our bobby

Re: James Mackie & Sons
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2009, 07:46:23 PM »
anyone remember Tommy Kelly experimental No 1 and a very Good friend of mine Jackie Maxwell who passed away a good few years ago and the Loony any one remember him ? >:( I had some good laughs there the other foreman i recall is Leslie Henderson over the S4As in the West Factory. I remember Jackie telling me Mackies had Troughs for Toilets and when he was an apprentice he used to roll paper up and light it and it would float down the trough were the men would all be sitting doing their business and roast the asses of them. anyone got any stories of Mackies come on folks. 

I don,t  remember the troughs but I do recall the ****house guard he would sit with his hand on the toilet roll and only release three sheets of paper . His reasoning " ONE UP ONE DOWN AND ONE ACROSS."He wrote down your check number and when he figured your time was up he would bang on the cubicle and call out  "your time is up get back to work"

moorsy

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2009, 07:58:18 PM »

I don,t  remember the troughs but I do recall the ****house guard he would sit with his hand on the toilet roll and only release three sheets of paper . His reasoning " ONE UP ONE DOWN AND ONE ACROSS."He wrote down your check number and when he figured your time was up he would bang on the cubicle and call out  "your time is up get back to work"

REMEMBER THAT TO OUR B.   WORKED IN THE EXP. #3 ABOVE THE MOLDING SHOP AT THE MAIN GATE TILL 69. TOMMY GRACY,S SHOP.
i,m out of my mind,but feel free to leave a message.

rocky1

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2009, 09:25:48 PM »
Hello Parkboy, i see you mentioned Jimmy Gray. I wonder does he live in Highfield.
Meet a gentleman the other week by that name. Was a way with his son by the same name to Canterbury.

RabRow

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2009, 05:13:03 PM »
I didnt work at Mackies,but a very good friend of mine did by the name of Ernie Mawhinney.he was a ratefixer and married a young woman called Maysie Best.
Unfortunately Ernie died about six months ago but Maysie is still going strong at 80
I also had an uncle who worked there called Dick Drennan.
                                        leaky.

I knew Ernie Mawhinney a bit. Didn't he play the bass fiddle in the Martello Jazz Band. Think that was the name of it.

harrydunn

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2009, 05:13:09 PM »
I started in the Gill shop 1955 straight out of school the toilets with the troughs were in the main yard on the Springfield Rd they were known as the half door club as the door on the cubicle was only about three feet high you were allowed seven minutes if you were any longer you had fifteen minutes deducted from your pay.

parkboy

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2009, 06:47:41 PM »
hi rocky , yes jimmy lives in highfield, a real gentleman to work with , in his eighties now , was a pilot during the war , he was a fair foreman , last time i spoke to him he told me he never sacked a guy in all his years as foreman. i think his eyesight is failing now .

Paul.W

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2009, 10:17:12 PM »
Hi parkboy I knew Jimmy as well I agree he was a brill foreman I did not think he was in his eighties

leaky

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2009, 03:03:43 PM »
Yes Ernie played bass fiddle with the Martello jazz band,as far as i know they are still going although it goes without saying that Ernie is no longer with them.
                           leaky.
get aff ma fut.

Hendy

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2009, 05:38:07 PM »
Served my time in the Sirocco Works then moved to Mackies for a few months in 73 which was long enough, then headed off to work in Harland and Bluffs.

Tommy Orr who I believe lived in Cavendish St was the Union man in Mackies Pattern shop, remember Jimmy Hall and Paul Mearns who both worked there as well.

rocky1

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2009, 09:58:54 PM »
Parkboy Jimmy is looking well for to be in his 80s. He spends time going to  George Best airport to watch the airplanes.

maggi

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2009, 11:31:08 PM »
Hugh Campbell was my uncle he passed away 1979

RabRow

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2009, 01:50:28 PM »
Yes Ernie played bass fiddle with the Martello jazz band,as far as i know they are still going although it goes without saying that Ernie is no longer with them.
                           leaky.

Cheers leaky. I remember going to hear them play in White's Tavern one time.

Taggart 009

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2009, 08:39:59 PM »
I knew Ernie Mawhinney a bit. Didn't he play the bass fiddle in the Martello Jazz Band. Think that was the name of it.

Did this Ernie Mawhinney live in Rathcoole by any chance.  If so I am sorry to hear of his passing. He was my 2nd cousin. 

Taggart 009

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2009, 08:41:05 PM »
                           leaky.

I wonder would you have any pictures of the Martello jazz Band when Ernie was with them.?

Headline boat man

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2009, 07:35:00 AM »
Did this Ernie Mawhinney live in Rathcoole by any chance.  If so I am sorry to hear of his passing. He was my 2nd cousin. 
Taggart see you are a very close family. he did not reside in Rathcoole.  :o :o