Author Topic: James Mackie & Sons  (Read 1040591 times)

derdrei

Re: James Mackie & Sons
« Reply #6195 on: July 22, 2018, 12:59:16 AM »
I worked in the Blackstaff faceing Mackies ,remember some of the girls haveing lunch outside so they could catch up with there fellows from Mackies.

Wildgoose

« Reply #6196 on: July 25, 2018, 04:46:18 PM »
Was apprentice in the Tinsmith shop from 1962-67 left for Canada. Knew and worked with many great character's all great guys . Jimmy Rogers was'nt really surprised when I found out he went on to be Lord Mayor of Belfast, Jimmy could talk the leg of a stool.

jjmack

« Reply #6197 on: July 27, 2018, 05:32:20 AM »
Was apprentice in the Tinsmith shop from 1962-67 left for Canada. Knew and worked with many great character's all great guys . Jimmy Rogers was'nt really surprised when I found out he went on to be Lord Mayor of Belfast, Jimmy could talk the leg of a stool.

There are a couple of guys on here who worked in the Tinsmiths and who now live in Canada.  :)
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

Wildgoose

« Reply #6198 on: July 27, 2018, 06:38:07 PM »
It's a small world.
When I came to Canada the second largest country in the world to a town of 3000 people the street where I lived ?
Mackie st,one of the first guys I met a former draughtsman from Mackies.

M

DJ

« Reply #6199 on: July 27, 2018, 07:09:12 PM »
It's a small world.
When I came to Canada the second largest country in the world to a town of 3000 people the street where I lived ?
Mackie st,one of the first guys I met a former draughtsman from Mackies.

M

What town would that have been Wildgoose? My brother was a draughtsman in Mackies and settled in Canada.

Wildgoose

« Reply #6200 on: July 28, 2018, 04:40:52 PM »
One of the first jobs I was given when I started my apprenticeship to make a simple bracket they wanted a dozen or so I made them up and sent them out. A few days later a pusher ruturned them wrong size he said,Albert was not pleased.
( Albert Hall FM) We checked the blue print bracket was right come with me he said,up to the draughting office we go
turned out the drawing was wrong a 3 instead of a 5 ok saved my bacon. I Rembered the name drawn by S Fleming
Nearly five years later in a small town in N. Ontario Canada I met a man Sam Fleming who worked at James Mackie & Sons as a draughtsman.  :o

DJ the town is Wawa in native Ojibwe that means Wildgeese.[size=78%]
[/font][/size]
What town would that have been Wildgoose? My brother was a draughtsman in Mackies and settled in Canada.

ken.mrcr

« Reply #6201 on: October 09, 2018, 11:37:13 PM »
It is me, wow! I'm surprised anyone would remember  ??? But good to see all those who worked at Mackie's all those years ago can still get in touch. It really lifts me somewhat to see the number of folk staying in touch.

ken.mrcr

« Reply #6202 on: October 10, 2018, 12:04:54 AM »
Wow!! I'm surprised anyone would remember. Good to see that ex-Mackie workers can keep in contact. :)

Bellevuelooker

« Reply #6203 on: October 29, 2018, 11:27:04 PM »
😎🍭🥃

Bellevuelooker

« Reply #6204 on: October 29, 2018, 11:28:25 PM »
Remember these great machines?..
😎🍭🥃

Bellevuelooker

« Reply #6205 on: October 30, 2018, 03:43:55 PM »
https://photos.app.goo.gl/VMkSm4fBUrxqNWyT9

Tool Room Nov 76 , Guys working on CX Drawing heating chambers.

😎🍭🥃

Bellevuelooker

« Reply #6206 on: October 30, 2018, 03:47:58 PM »
Left to right

John Anderson , moved on to TDO

Alan Porter , moved on to NC Programming

John Beacom, moved on to TDO

JIM Turkington , moved on to NC Programming
😎🍭🥃

Bellevuelooker

« Reply #6207 on: October 31, 2018, 04:15:00 PM »
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kYKAagB33UcGf5Uc7

Remember the Milwaukees?

AD Ring Spg Roller Stands machined complete!!
😎🍭🥃

Datsuncog

« Reply #6208 on: November 03, 2018, 12:25:51 PM »
I'm currently going through and scanning some of my grandparents' old photo albums.
My grandfather, Eddie Galashan, worked at Mackies for nearly all his life - from 1935 until he was made redundant in the 1982 retrenchments (six months away from retirement). He mostly worked in the Drawing Office as a draughtsman. He was also one of the team who went out to India in the early 1960s to set up the Lagan factory.
He had a lot of stories about Mackies, most of which I was too young to remember. I can remember him telling me about the time one of the shops replaced the floor on his rusted-out Austin A40 on a Saturday morning, and also about his time in the Mackies' Home Guard.

He got his nephew, Geordie Galashan, a start in Mackies - who has been mentioned further up the thread.
My aunt, Anne Galashan, also worked there as a secretary in the mid-1960s, while my dad worked in the stores for a while before leaving to teach woodwork. Apparently there was often a bit of a discrepancy between what the ledgers said should be in the stores, and what was actually on the shelves! I suppose that ties in with the new floor in the Austin (and also the turned brass candlesticks and other items I remember from my grandparents' home).

So far I've turned up a fair few photos of Mackies' staff dances and so on, but I don't think I have the option to attach them on here.
Fascinating thread.

Bellevuelooker

« Reply #6209 on: November 03, 2018, 01:25:05 PM »
I knew Eddie well. He was based as a works manager  in the same office complex as me in the aircraft yard. I was a NC programmer/tooling engineer. I also knew Jimmy who was the Foreman in the turning dept and also billy who worked in the heat treatment/toolroom. I also worked in the Toolroom as well before I got promoted to the NC. Michael Galashan also worked in the Toolroom same time as me. He got promoted also to the tool drawing office. Small world

I am attending the Mackie old boys annual get together in the villa Italia in Belfast on 15th Nov.

Gilbert watt ex Mackie sales is the organiser.

Contact me anytime for Mackie info, I was there 74 to 99.    All the best

😎🍭🥃