Author Topic: James Mackie & Sons  (Read 1040100 times)

GEMMA

Re: James Mackie & Sons
« Reply #6255 on: July 31, 2019, 11:05:29 PM »
Can you upload a photo, of them ?
Allow me, mostly only used now on flax, jute and hard fibre (Manila,Sisal,etc.), machinery depending on the PPI. Spreaders, Doublers,Gill Spinners,etc., finer machines are now nylon ,(mass produced) easier to fit for the "hackle setters" ;)

Pavel Schuhmeier

« Reply #6256 on: August 02, 2019, 06:37:26 PM »
Allow me, mostly only used now on flax, jute and hard fibre (Manila,Sisal,etc.), machinery depending on the PPI. Spreaders, Doublers,Gill Spinners,etc., finer machines are now nylon ,(mass produced) easier to fit for the "hackle setters" ;)

Hello.
I have photos, but I can't technically send them.
It would help send photos to a specific E-mail address. I can do that.
My E-mail:

Billy Fish

« Reply #6257 on: August 03, 2019, 08:41:25 PM »
Hi, question: Where or how can I offer and sell Mackie Gill Crests (brass). 
I have quite a lot of them. They are unused.

Try eBay. Lol  :D
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

EJ

« Reply #6258 on: August 06, 2019, 07:14:47 PM »
I worked in the Buying Office in 1967-69 (stationery & brass ingots) sec to the buyer, John.  Our storeman was called Jimmy, a small, slightly-built nervous man but the 3 of us got on well!  I also did some typing for the firm's Photographer and firm's Artist.  It was a very happy time but I left to get married.  As a child my favourite haunts were the Museum at Stranmillis(?) especially the "mummy", the Savoy Cinema and the Oldpark Library.
EJ :)

Wkwright

« Reply #6259 on: August 07, 2019, 10:34:43 PM »
Hi All,
Was wondering if anyone remembers my dad? His name was Killen Wright, later in his life he was know by William more. He worked for Mackies in the late 50ís and 60s. He was an engineer and like a lot of others he worked abroad most of his life. In France for years when I was born, he traveled around Europe repairing Mackies machinery. He lived in Brazil for many years, the States and during his his last 10 years he worked in Merida Mexico. There were a lot of Mackies Machines in Brazil, and they there are a lot in Merida Mexico working away still today. The machines in Brazil and Mexico are for sisal twine, used from the beginning of the process to the weaving! Have loads of photos of them! He sadly passed away on Christmas Day in Merida Mexico 2013.

His daughter Karen

EJ

« Reply #6260 on: August 08, 2019, 01:21:26 AM »
Our office was just above the "Outside Erectors" office, they travelled with the Mackie machine, built it up, and it wasn't to be tampered with' by 'amateurs' (much like a Rolls Royce engine). Many were sent to Lagan Jute which was in India.  I think my stint at Mackies just missed your dad working there.  My mother, in fact, was working at Mackies when WWII broke out and the firm went into munitians.  Mum had vivid memories of the time and having to wear dungarees! Some of her lovely workmates didn't come into work some mornings, their houses had been demolished - how sad war is!

Bigbill

« Reply #6261 on: August 13, 2019, 05:17:02 PM »
Hi all just wondering if the James mackie and sons coins with the numbers on them are worth any money

GEMMA

« Reply #6262 on: August 13, 2019, 06:48:26 PM »
What number is stamped on it? whatever number is stamped on it that will be it,s value. Mine was 4916. :D

Bigbill

« Reply #6263 on: August 13, 2019, 07:29:38 PM »
I wish lol I have 18 off them :-\

Lost Login

« Reply #6264 on: August 21, 2019, 12:46:54 PM »
Hi all just wondering if the James mackie and sons coins with the numbers on them are worth any money

Most of the brass and aluminium checks ended up in Fernhill House Museum (Closed since 2006 and now derelict).  You can see them on this video between 3.26 and 3.56.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxNXeRLAHaQ
Not available in Northern Ireland.

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #6265 on: August 21, 2019, 11:02:09 PM »
What number is stamped on it? whatever number is stamped on it that will be it,s value. Mine was 4916. :D

Mine was 8514 ... :P
Soldier F Supporter, equal Justice for all.

When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

Billy Fish

« Reply #6266 on: August 28, 2019, 09:25:58 PM »
My old Uncle, long departed, was an 'Iron Turner' all his days in Mackies. I had his old brass check for years. Can't find it now, but from memory it was number 1892 ? He always spoke fondly about Mackies and did 50 years with them.  :)

Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

Denmack

« Reply #6267 on: August 28, 2019, 09:50:31 PM »
Hi All,
Was wondering if anyone remembers my dad? His name was Killen Wright, later in his life he was know by William more. He worked for Mackies in the late 50ís and 60s. He was an engineer and like a lot of others he worked abroad most of his life. In France for years when I was born, he traveled around Europe repairing Mackies machinery. He lived in Brazil for many years, the States and during his his last 10 years he worked in Merida Mexico. There were a lot of Mackies Machines in Brazil, and they there are a lot in Merida Mexico working away still today. The machines in Brazil and Mexico are for sisal twine, used from the beginning of the process to the weaving! Have loads of photos of them! He sadly passed away on Christmas Day in Merida Mexico 2013.

His daughter Karen
i was working with your Dad in Mexico on his new project of a new Sisal mill until he passed away great guy first met him in 1970 when he was in charge of France and Belgium for Mackies installations