Author Topic: James Mackie & Sons  (Read 996513 times)

valkillow

Re: James Mackie & Sons
« Reply #6180 on: June 11, 2017, 08:06:41 PM »
No Tommy Johnston known as Jonty from 104 Maryvile Street Donegal Pass then later19 Pakenham Street also the Pass.

McNamee

« Reply #6181 on: June 11, 2017, 08:07:52 PM »
Val Is that the same Jonty who used to put up the great pictures on the Forum?

big t

« Reply #6182 on: June 19, 2017, 08:41:18 PM »
Worked in mackies about 1962 serving appship but took ill was moved to head office worked in shipping dept under Mr Boden

jjmack

« Reply #6183 on: June 24, 2017, 02:25:20 PM »
See in the paper the Innovation Centre ( Old Woodvale Factory ) are looking for Ex employees to get in touch about working in the firm as they are putting on some sort of exhibition! Get the old photographs out!

Yes, I see there was an exhibition of sorts. Apparently it was only a one off. Pity.
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

our bobby

« Reply #6184 on: June 25, 2017, 09:09:06 PM »

Just read your post did you work in the tool room in Mackies  my uncle Tommy Johnston ( deceased 2001) worked there he was a foreman
Val.

Hi Val , I met Your husband (lovely fella) earlier this year when we looked after Uncle Sammy Killow's ashes. It was lovely to Meet everyone as they were all so much younger than me when I came to Canada. Except of course Tom Killow, one of the Cupar street Killow's.
I am glad your Charlie got to read my post.

Would that be Tommy Johnston from Ainsworth Street ?

our bobby

« Reply #6185 on: June 25, 2017, 09:11:07 PM »
Worked in mackies about 1962 serving appship but took ill was moved to head office worked in shipping dept under Mr Boden

It was Victor Johnson who posted the photos, he also worked in the Toolroom.

big t

« Reply #6186 on: June 25, 2017, 09:50:33 PM »
Left school at 16 walked from the ballygomartin road to the Donegal road. Called in and asked if there where any jobs. Told to go to the medical room. Got a job told I could start on Monday but as they closed the following week just qo and take the three weeks off before starting.
Worked in woodvale then moved to the shipping department. Have saw people that have worked in the various shops Burks there no one from shipping department?

jjmack

« Reply #6187 on: June 25, 2017, 11:54:46 PM »
Why did you walk to Donegal Road, when Mackies were on the Springfield Road ?
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

big t

« Reply #6188 on: June 26, 2017, 07:28:23 AM »
Because thats where I lived and it was a glorious sunny day????

big t

« Reply #6189 on: June 26, 2017, 08:15:20 AM »
Nice walk from scḥol down to west circular springfield rd  grosvenor rd  roden street donegal avenue anout 45 mins. Swimming practice didnt start till 7.30 so plenty off time.

White dee

« Reply #6190 on: June 26, 2017, 06:10:37 PM »
Because thats where I lived and it was a glorious sunny day? ???

:D ;)
I'd like to help you out,which way did you come in.

[email protected]

« Reply #6191 on: October 09, 2017, 05:36:52 PM »
I started, for a short time, as an apprentice aged 15yrs in 1960. I worked in the first shop on the left(was it the Spinning Shop) as you went through the main Springfield Road gates.
I left to join the Army Apprentice School Carlisle in April 61.

At the time I lived in New Barnsley and my next door neighbour  was Joe Forsyth. I believe Joe had worked in Mackies as a fitter but mostly overseas.

Another great family friend was Leslie Henderson. I never worked either and I believe both worked up at either the Forth River or the other new place opposite West Circular Road.

I remember the clocking on tags and the issue of bog paper and the half doors on the toilets. Didn't hinder anyone always plenty of bums on seat as I remember it.

JackM

« Reply #6192 on: October 11, 2017, 12:54:55 PM »
I started, for a short time, as an apprentice aged 15yrs in 1960. I worked in the first shop on the left(was it the Spinning Shop) as you went through the main Springfield Road gates.
I left to join the Army Apprentice School Carlisle in April 61.

At the time I lived in New Barnsley and my next door neighbour  was Joe Forsyth. I believe Joe had worked in Mackies as a fitter but mostly overseas.

Another great family friend was Leslie Henderson. I never worked either and I believe both worked up at either the Forth River or the other new place opposite West Circular Road.

I remember the clocking on tags and the issue of bog paper and the half doors on the toilets. Didn't hinder anyone always plenty of bums on seat as I remember it.

Hello,
The first shops on the left hand side in my day in Mackies was the Roving Erection and Baler Erection. I knew both Joe Forsythe and Leslie Henderson. Joe was indeed an `Overseas Erector`who I believe became either `Charge Hand` or Foreman in the Outside Order Department. Leslie became the Foreman in the Loom Erection / Loom Sub Assembly, in West Factory opposite West Circular Road.  :)
Welcome to the Forum.  :)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.

StewartyMc

« Reply #6193 on: July 21, 2018, 02:22:29 PM »

I worked in Mackies in 1966 as an apprentice.  I knew some great characters from this place.  One being - John Cooper, he was a continental fitter.  I remember going to the Liverpool match against Everton with him, it being my first game.

Would be great to hear from anyone working there at that time.  Especially if anyone knows John, it would be good to hear from him.

jillyfred

« Reply #6194 on: July 21, 2018, 05:40:44 PM »
I worked in Mackies in 1966 as an apprentice.  I knew some great characters from this place.  One being - John Cooper, he was a continental fitter.  I remember going to the Liverpool match against Everton with him, it being my first game.

Would be great to hear from anyone working there at that time.  Especially if anyone knows John, it would be good to hear from him.

==
Great to see this Thread up again-StewartyMc.
I personally have no experience of working in the firm-just a great interest in the history since its beginnings in the 1800`s.
There is an amazing contribution of memories by former employees on this Thread-but not a lot perhaps in your time scale.
However,hope you get some replies back re your post.
jilly