Author Topic: James Mackie & Sons  (Read 1039884 times)

Bellevuelooker

Re: James Mackie & Sons
« Reply #6210 on: November 05, 2018, 05:58:26 PM »
Demo of the excellent Devlieg Jigmil

Mackie had a total of 5 of these 1 x 36 ,4 x 48,

https://youtu.be/WcfV_99ecxQ
😎🍭🥃

eric60

« Reply #6211 on: November 07, 2018, 07:46:43 PM »
Has any one ever worked in Mackies out there I did my apprenticeship there.

eric60

« Reply #6212 on: November 07, 2018, 07:47:14 PM »
Yes my dad worked in Jackie’s as a machinist until he retired

Bellevuelooker

« Reply #6213 on: November 07, 2018, 09:26:31 PM »
Jackies is a Butchers up the Shankill?

Was it some kind of slicing machine ???
😎🍭🥃

misssmyth1

« Reply #6214 on: November 26, 2018, 01:15:46 PM »
from 1966 to 1970  i worked in payroll and remember taking the pay packets to the various 'shops' and giving them out  they were packed so as you could check the amount. the notes were sticking out of the packet and the change could be checked through the clear part.... we had to be accurate and very fast and work out all the notes coins and balance correctly    i learned a lot there about payroll and  it all enabled me to move to London at age 19 and get a good job. i blushed all the time and was so shy  I begged my boss Jimmy 'Sharpe net to send me and I promised him that  I would work every saturday morning for him stamping the National Insurance cards as no one wanted to do it   he agreed and i never had to do it again  recently I met an old friend from Mackies and he said he remembered me and he guys whistling and me blushing   they did it on purpose  to all the girls.. happy days great colleagues and good memories

JackM

« Reply #6215 on: December 01, 2018, 01:47:38 PM »
Although I only spent a few years working for James Mackie Ltd, most of which was spent overseas, I thought Mackies was ok, certainly no worse than any other Employer.   :)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

William Burns

« Reply #6216 on: December 19, 2018, 04:54:38 PM »
Is anyone old enough to remember a guy who worked for Mackies back in the 1960's? I cannot recall his name BUT, he was working for them out in Brazil in the jute business, and was based for some time in Manaus up the Amazon. Came from Belfast, ginger headed and had married a Brazilian woman called Anna. Had a few kids.Eventually returned to live in Belfast. I met with him and his family quite a few times up the Amazon and he always treated me like a family member. We sank a few beers together and enjoyed barbecues on the river banks.  Lovely chap. Also visited him back in Belfast later. I'd love to know if he or/and his wife are still with us. Long time ago - about 55 years. Often think about them & it would be great to hear anything about him.

Bellevuelooker

« Reply #6217 on: January 13, 2019, 02:00:50 PM »
Was reading about Pat Dougans passing last year.  Never had any dealings or spoke with him except the time he was passing my desk and angrily wrenched the book I was studying out of my hands demanding to know what i was reading..
  I answered him by saying it was the offices copy of Machinery Handbook and I was reviewing the formula for calculating and indeed cutting a multi start increasing lead thread for one of the guys in the Toolroom.

No apology nor no comment from the man after that.
😎🍭🥃

jjmack

« Reply #6218 on: January 14, 2019, 05:50:31 AM »
I remember a trade union official friend of mine telling me about the time they met Dougan regarding an annual pay rise for the workforce. The meeting quickly went downhill and Dougan stood up, announced the meeting was over and stormed out through a door, only to re-emerge seconds later as he had stormed out, into a broom cupboard.
A man who liked his own way, by all accounts. He did nothing for Mackies apart from trying to line his own pockets, by all accounts. ::)
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

Bellevuelooker

« Reply #6219 on: January 14, 2019, 08:03:23 PM »
What u say is true, no textile engineering knowledge and downright ignorant of the skills of the workforce. Better days could have been had except for his lackies who acted for him.

😎🍭🥃

Bellevuelooker

« Reply #6220 on: January 14, 2019, 08:16:07 PM »
For all those who doubt what I said, it was a 100mm mean diameter 3 start  buttress thread to traverse a stylus pin x 3 at a constant increasing rate over a 600mm distance in a specific time ratio.    :)

Material was Firthag steel....
😎🍭🥃

GEMMA

« Reply #6221 on: January 16, 2019, 11:19:17 AM »
I have a copy of Machinery Handbook 2000, I will look that up and check it. :) I was an Outside Erector for 20 years and met Pat Dougan on a few occasions, the fewer the better as far as i was concerned. Did not know he had passed away, last i heard he was living in South Africa.
Ah well, condolences to his family.

Bellevuelooker

« Reply #6222 on: January 16, 2019, 03:22:38 PM »
Did u work on Carding Machinery at any time or perhaps any hard fibre processing machinery?    I have pal in Aussie land who refurbs this type of Mackie plant.
😎🍭🥃

GEMMA

« Reply #6223 on: January 16, 2019, 03:35:25 PM »
That should have been Machinery Handbook 25th edition (got it in 2000). I worked on all  MACKIE machinery ,Hard fibre, Jute, Flax, Wool and synthetics, full systems. Would your mate be Gilchrist ? cant remember his first name.

Bellevuelooker

« Reply #6224 on: January 16, 2019, 06:22:00 PM »
Alan Gilchrist. He's prob retired now or ??

He seen a chance year's ago to get into rebuilds etc.    Smart guy.
😎🍭🥃