Author Topic: Castle Street  (Read 36523 times)

slan

Re: Castle Street
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2009, 02:06:06 AM »
The Fashion shop at the corner of Chapel Lane was Austin's. Got my first, and only, biker jacket there. There was also the Shirt Centre at the Bank Street corner.

teragram

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2009, 08:31:52 AM »
I think you're wrong there about Austins being at the corner of Chapel Lane.
If you don't do it you won't get caught.

boxer1949

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2009, 08:39:41 AM »
Was Austins at were Eastwoods bookies is now are was it at the other corner memory loss :-\

gangsta princess

• Account Closed
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2009, 08:52:46 AM »
Kellys Chemist and the Castle Mews

teragram

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2009, 08:53:49 AM »
Maybe it's me that's wrong about where Austins was.  I remember it being in Divis St, and they had another shop facing the back of Castle Court. It's now a cafe, at the corner of Chapel Lane and Berry Street.
If you don't do it you won't get caught.

Namyag

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2009, 10:56:38 AM »
Austin's was definitely at the corner of Chapel Lane and Berry Street - it is a cafe now called Jennifer's facing the side door of Castle Court Shopping Centre.

The Shirt Centre was great for a bargain, even though some of the stuff were seconds  :)

irish dance

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2009, 11:37:38 AM »
Going back to the 50's/60's Austins was on Divis Street on the right hand side going up and just before Dover Street

stickyra

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2009, 07:19:16 PM »
The Castle Pool Hall and the Yankee Doodle Dandy poolroom.
Ní bheith mo leithid aris ann

Namyag

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2009, 12:20:36 AM »
Nice 1 Stickyra - almost forgot - and the roller disco late 70's I think

sodabread

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2009, 10:01:25 PM »
wen you came down divis st ad passed mllfield there was a wee holy shop on the left side b4 you came to king street yet that little part of belfast was not divis st, it was mill st i think or mill place or milfeld place, over 2 all the smarties ::)
dis ducibus

glenb

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2009, 10:22:30 PM »
The Bank Bar going out the back and into Kellys, Fresh Garbage outside of Kellys entrance

Going down Church Lane and saying a wee prayer in the Chapel or Grotto (my Mother always told me if you passed the Chapel put a few coins in, her generation always did that for that particular Chapel)
The wee holy shop across from the chapel, and of course the more modern bookies at the corner of church lane and castle st

Eleanor

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2009, 04:46:31 PM »
Record shop was David Harrisons.  A true gentleman when you got to know him.

I went to Queen's with his nephew, Michael Harrison.
Hate the sin, but love the sinner

kieranward

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2009, 11:55:40 PM »
Hi all!

Regarding the Astor Ballroom – I worked there from the early 60s until it closed with the troubles although it did open again for a short while during the lull in the trouble in I think 1970.  The Astor was in College Court and you can take this as 100% correct.  Namyag’s comments regarding the McMahon Family owning the hall and them living at Townsend Street/ Divis Street back then is also correct   The last time I visited their home it was the house at the corner of Finn Square and Townsend Street.  I dare say that a lot of their family have past away – but I do not really know much about them now.

Paddy Carson (brother of Frank) also worked at the Astor but he was the M. C. (Master of Ceremonies) not the manager.  It was Joe McMahon was the manager and Sadie his sister done the pay kiosk and she also said who got in or not.  Another sister Mary ran the lemonade bar.

Just going back to Paddy Carson for a minute – yes, he was very suave, he drove a MG car, and all the girls fancied him.

The two regular door attendants were Ben Nixon and Pat Kearney.  I sometimes done the door also but my main job was controlling the lighting using dimmers.

Gerry McKeown worked there too – I would have done the cloakroom now and again – I sometimes did this job too.

My email address is: [email protected] if you want to contact me.

Kieran
[img][img]

twocoats

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2009, 12:09:20 AM »
Kiernan,
Thanks for your post on the Astor. You guys did a wonderful job running the place in the early sixties.
It was a great place to be on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday nights.
Would you by any chance have any photos of the Dancehall especially the inside?
Would love to see them if you have..

TC
Homophobia, racism, sexism, bigotry and sectarianism is still alive..

olelad

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2009, 12:12:15 AM »
greasy fish n chips