Author Topic: What happened to my old house  (Read 20969 times)

Bull-ant

What happened to my old house
« on: January 10, 2007, 01:40:13 AM »
I lived at 52 Thorburn Road Whitewell until 1959, then immigrated to Australia.  When I look at my old address with google earth I see the houses on both sides of Thorburn road gone and the same for what was Portmore Hill. :(  Does anyone know why and when these houses went.  My old  school the Throne Primary is now I believe the Hazelwood Integrated school. Although out of sight of this image, to the south there was a block of shops which have all gone except for one which looks like it is made from a shipping container. Any information would be appreciated.
 :)
Merv

Christopher

Re: What happened to my old house
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 04:15:30 AM »
Hiya Merv,

A member of the staff at the Whitewell Library may be able to assist with your query.

Chris

Whitewell Library,
Ballygolan Primary School,
Belfast.
Co Antrim
BT36 7HB
Telephone: 028 9050 9242
Fax: 
Email: [email protected]

Bull-ant

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 04:55:21 AM »
Hey Christopher,

Thanks for the tip, I have sent them message :)

Merv

aussietrekker

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 12:06:52 PM »
Yo Bullant, I can't bring your house back, but if you want a good stickybeak at ur old neighbourhood, go to www.propertynews.com, and you can see all the houses for sale in your area. I do it all the time and see loads of my old neighbours and relatives' places, and some haven't changed at all.
"Never confuse religion with spirituality."
-Father Bob Maguire, South Melbourne. 2011.

Bull-ant

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 12:42:43 AM »
Hey aussietrekker,
Thanks for that link. I am currently having a great tour of north Belfast properties ;) Strangely though there properties available all around where I used to live but none so far actually in it ???  I'll keep looking and thanks again.

Merv

aussietrekker

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 02:45:40 AM »
It's great fun, yeah? It's almost like being back again. We left in 1964, stayed in Melbourne. What about you? Where did you come to in 1959?

Bull-ant

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 03:11:53 AM »
hiya aussietrekker,
We came here by ship, (the Strathaird) landed in Melbourne, were put into a tempoary sorting camp behind the Melbourne exhibition buildings and then into the Brooklyn migrant hostel.  What a shock,:o we left an Irish winter and arrived here in the middle of a heatwave of over 100 degrees (old scale) and were accommodated in corrugated iron nissan huts. ::)  From there, let me see, Belgrave, Seaford, Baxter, Parkdale, Frankston and now Somerville for the last 30 years.  In between trips into every state in Australia except the Territories :)
Regards,

Merv

pentio

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 03:13:45 AM »
Merv

Would you like me to take a few photos of the area where you used to live ....if so let me know and I will be happy to oblidge.

regards

pentio.

aussietrekker

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 03:34:57 AM »
Brooklyn?????????
We were just round the corner at Altona Hostel in Kororoit Creek Road. Dad got a job at Esso in Spotswood for a few months, then the oil refinery  in Miller's Road so we stayed in the area. He stayed at PRA till he retired. We were in the hostel for 8 months (we had fibro huts, riddled with asbestos) then built a house in Altona. Stayed there 8 years then moved to Werribee, and both Mum and Dad are buried in Werribee cemetery. I live in Geelong these days, have moved around myself over the decades but Geelong is the best and we'll stay here. My Bruce has a cousin in Somerville- Craig and Simone Downes. Simone came from Seaford.
We came  to Oz by plane-31 hours and 6 pitstops. And just like yourself, left a bitter winter (the blizzard of early 1964) and arrived on Good Friday to 40 degrees, and everything was shut for 4 days. The plane door opened and the heat just hit us. And I remember driving in the taxi from Essendon airport down Miller's Road and smelling the refinery. And the FLIES!
Have you got any good hostel stories?

Bull-ant

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 03:37:06 AM »
Hey pentio,

What you proposed would be really great but I don't want to impose. If you happen to be down that way in your own time and happen to have a camera with you I would love to see a photo or two.  Did you see my google pic of where my old house used to be ???

Merv

Bull-ant

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 04:02:25 AM »
aussietrekker
When we lived at the Brooklyn hostel my father worked at the same refinery as your father, he was a rigger, you know working up the scaffolding while they were building all those storage tanks.  When we left Brooklyn he followed the rigging work to places such as the Latrobe valley where he worked on the Hazlewood and Loy Yang power stations. 
Stories about hostel life, where does one start ???  How about the adjoining property being a very large abattoirs (Borthwicks) where they slaughtered sheep and cattle 16 hours a day. It made for a not so pleasant experience in the communal dining hall when you could hear the bolt guns going off and of course the smell was terrible.  To top it off you had to eat hunched over your meal because up in the rafters above there were sparrows and finches who would contibute extra sauce to your meal want it or not.  Of course most of us kids ended up with ringworm because all the scabby cats that roamed around the place had it.  Then of course in this big melting pot of  cultural diversity there were some differences in beliefs that led to unpleasant confrontations.  Glad to see the back of the place.

Merv

pentio

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 09:40:16 AM »
Merv

Yes I saw your photo of where you used to live. I will have them for you in a few days.  

jac1960

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 01:17:35 PM »
www.propertynews.com, and you can see all the houses for sale in your area.

thanks for that link. My old street no longer exists but good to check the nearby streets.

As coincidence would have it, I live in Geelong too, small world eh!

pentio

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 02:14:46 PM »
Merv

Got a few photos of the Whitewell area for you today hope you enjoy them.I am sure so much has changed since you left Belfast for Australia.As you can see there are a lot of new homes being built on the Thorburn Road. This development started just over a year ago. I think the google image you posted must be a few years old.

First one is a view along the Thorburn Road.

then the entrance to Hazelwood Integrated College....

pentio

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 02:26:13 PM »
Merv

Next two photos the Old Throne Hospital on the Whitewell Road which i am reliabily informed is now a solicitors office

The old trollybus terminus on the Whitewell Road.