Author Topic: PSNI Role reversal  (Read 6723 times)

Christopher

Re: PSNI Role reversal
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2007, 09:11:57 AM »
Leaving the jokes to one side the morale and standards of the officers in the PSNI will drop until such time as the Polish officers learn English. Are all the Polish people applying to join the PSNI fluent English speakers? The Irish Republic and Scotland will find themselves in the same position. Will the English speaking officers and men have to learn Polish? I've met one or two people from Poland who live in Ballynahinch and their standard of English, whilst much better than my Polish (which is nil), is not the greatest.  Mention of having to obey political masters makes me think of the armed forces who have to do precisely the same thing. Senior officers in the forces are now beginning to speak openly about the problems their men are facing ... it won't be too long before senior police officers follow their example and I must say that time is long overdue.

giannineo

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2007, 12:14:20 PM »
Irishpost-racial jokes?Come on,the jokes were certainly not racial.Surely we can have a laugh but maintain the discussion.I for one did not see any racial tones in the jokes.My father in law was Polish and I am sure he would have found no racial prejudice in a play on words.
     Back to the thread.
Throughout the "Troubles" the R.U.C. had a role like no other Police Force anywhere.They had an impossible task and were placed as a buffer between factions which hated each other.Many everyday crimes  may have been  given less importance than normal as the R.U.C. were used to focus on anti terrorism.
    There may have been bad eggs in the RUC basket.But professions everywhere have bad and good in the ranks,and if politicians meddle then the whole issue becomes chaotic.The rank and file of any organisation become demoralised if the politicians make their job all but impossible.
    There would not have been "The Troubles" if it had not been for politicians wanting their way without compromise all the time..Likewise the terrorist,paramilitaries,idealists,so called freedom fighters were without compromise.The gangsters who saw an opportunity for profiteering in an almost lawless N.Ireland added their angle and made things worse.
    The RUC may have been less than perfect and may have been unacceptable in certain communities.At times there may have been bungling and sheer insensitivity.On the other hand,without the RUC(Warts and all) the troubles may have simply developed into civil war and wholesale slaughter.
    How many lives did the RUC  save and what potential disaster did they avert?.Terrorism is a dirty business and the negative side of the  Policing would not occur if 1.There had been a fair and equal society in N.Ireland .2. The terrorists(of all factions) who engaged in  the armed  struggle had devoted their energies to peace making and building bridges rather than merciless killing.
         So a new PSNI,it seems may not  be given  a chance and the dinosaurs of the "Troubles" are still in power and calling the shots from their positions of comfort.
         Titles of Police Forces,cap badges,history of a now defunct Police Force are pathetic issues clouding the new PSNI.
         Those who are not happy with it can always join up or make suggestions for improvement rather than dwell on the past and try to destroy the future.
        What about having "The Protection of Citzens within Antrim,Down,Fermanagh,Tyrone,Armagh,and Londonderry or Derry Counties by non agressive,friendly ,unbiased means,Organisation which will not use unnecessary force and only sensitivity" as the title....will that please every body?
    And the cap badge-the Shamrock or does that have too many religious connotations .WasSt. Patrick a Catholic or Protestant?
    A Harp,oh no,the RUC had that.A shillelagh,oh no,symbolises a club to beat people.
    Two hands clutching each other in friendship and out reach...oh,no....Lourdes and Catholicism.
    maybe the PSNI could dress in the flowing robes of Jesus and have "peace "on their cap badge. .pah,hippies and drugs.
         What's in a name ,a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
    Can't have too may Poles in the PSNI,POLAND??????Mostly Catholic county....ah,but Catholic means all embracing !
       I say,send in the new Iraqi Police Force and send the PSNI to Iraq.
          No compromise is in the blood in N.Ireland,and until the majority have a blood transfusion of the right stuff.  well??????????

IrishPost

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2007, 01:42:41 PM »
Christopher - I doubt very much whether a UK or Irish Police Force would recruit a Non English person to its Force.

Entry to these Police Forces are very competitive and the entry examinations concentrate heavily on English Comprehension, Spelling and Grammar; so much so that many of their own native born citizens cannot even pass the examination!

Police Officers in the course of their normal duty are required to submit lengthy Briefs of Evidence for submission to the highest courts in the land and then be cross examined in a Witness Box on such submissions. If they had a poor command of spoken and written English, then their credibility would be challenged at every opportunity.

Giannineo - Your response is to defend the RUC and yet within the Thread there has been no criticism of the RUC or the PSNI and I in fact would be the last person that you would need to defend the RUC to.

I am very familiar with the history of the RUC and would commend the follow book to anyone who is interested;

The RUC - A Force Under Fire, Click Here For Details and then on Books

Regards,

IrishPost

Christopher

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2007, 01:45:50 PM »
Two great posts there. I enjoyed reading them. Keep posts like these ones coming please.

giannineo

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2007, 03:21:45 PM »
Irishpost,oops,my appraisal of the job done by the RUC was to defend their good work during the "Troubles" but to acknowledge that  they were not acceptable within those  quarters where they were seen as not acting  in the interest of those citizens or being unfairly heavy handed.
       I hope the new PSNI  becomes acceptable to all in their provision of a service which none of us can do without anywhere in the world.
       As for foreign nationals entering a Police Force.Of course they would have to be fluent in the language of that Force's country.I too doubt if first generation immigrants would in general satisfy the recruitment criteria.There may be a few who are sufficiently bilingual to do so.
       Next birthday I will ask for the Book you have recommended.
    I did not want to become political in my post,but the work of the RUC/PSNI  has and possibly will be made difficult by politicians taking into account the N. Ireland divisions in society.I could not serve in any Police Force anywhere as my temperament would prevent me from doing the job.  a job where the Police will never satisfy everyone.

AL CAPONE

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2007, 04:06:28 PM »
interesting!!!! ???

Twocoats

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2007, 06:06:41 PM »
G.Wonderful post. I agree with all you wrote. The part about the current political masters and the reference to the previous politicians who would not bend and so caused the "Troubles" are pertinent. What a wonderful N.Ireland it would be if all previous murderers, terrorists, drug dealers, religious fanatics, crooked politicians, convicted criminals were barred from political office. While in office a politician must put his religion into trust as he/she must do when they own shares etc. that may be a conflict. Coats

Christopher

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2007, 06:15:12 PM »
 previous murderers, terrorists, drug dealers, religious fanatics, crooked politicians, convicted criminals were barred from political office. While in office a politician must put his religion into trust as he/she must do when they own shares etc. that may be a conflict. Coats

That's an interesting list of people to be barred from political office Coats. Now what do we do ??? We need a few politicians. I'm not quite sure how many you have managed to ban in your message. Those crooked politicians and religious fanatics must amount to quite a few.

Twocoats

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2007, 06:31:18 PM »
OK Chris. Let's make it simple. I understand that one cannot have a criminal record if you wish to become a Police Officer. So why should the Politician who is in charge of the Police force be allowed to have a criminal or terrorist record. We all know that the troubled history of N. Ireland is based on religious intolerance so to be elected, politicians should park their faith at the entrance of the polling booth. Coats

Christopher

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2007, 06:58:52 PM »
That's very simple and clear to understand Coats. Now the problem is have we any politicians with a totally clean sheet? Never mind those who have a slightly dirty record being in charge of the PSNI ... should they be in charge of the country. Read the article Ireland - The Voice of the Nation. The rot seems to start at the top.

Twocoats

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2007, 07:35:29 PM »
Of course my statements are simplistic. If we were at all able to get rid all the previous corruption I have described then I am sure we would have enough honest people of conscious to vote for. If not enough stand up for fear of the previous mentioned thugs then lets go to the children. They in their wisdom would do a great job. I tend to be a very simplistic person so I have no problem with the issues. If for example George Bush had personally gone to war with Saddam. What I mean by that is. Bush and Saddam didn't like each other. So what would happen in the schoolyard. The pair of them would go at it "till the death" and only one person would die. Much better world! That could be said for all wars. Imagine Paisley junior and Gerry Adams settling the long differences in N. Ireland by having it out "Till the end" on the steps of Stormont. I say paisley jnr. cos his old bigoted Da is too old. Coats

ulsterstan

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2007, 10:27:43 PM »
Just read  about the funeral service for David Irvine and saw  the bold Gerry was there along with a lot of other Nationalists  sounds like a nice service except for the scumbags at the Cliftonville v Glens game  no respect there .
Stan Sloan.

giannineo

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2007, 12:17:43 AM »
Right Twocoats,the fight to end all fights.In the green corner Gerry and in the true blue corner Wee Ian.
     Strictly neutral judges...Barry Mc Guigan,Mary Peters and casting vote Desmond Tutu.Referee Kofi Annan.Venue,boat middle of Lake Geneva.Invited guests only consisting of all  Irish politicians and bigotted clergy new and old.
     Gerry has "Erin go braght " on his vest,and Ian slips on pair of Union Flag shorts to irritate Gerry.Ian senior is ringside and Wee Ian enters to "Nearer my God to thee".
     Gerry enters to "There always be an Ireland,and Ireland will be free,If Mc Guinness means as much to you as Mc Guinness means to me".
           For fourteen rounds they dig each other in the bake,rattle each other's delph,and belt each other in the kisser.
        Final round and the judges score the bout at evens.Hell for leather they go at each other but no joy,a tied event which causes ructions.Kofi Annan slips off the boat with judges.  seemingly to confer.
        What???????? The boat lurches over and sinks with all on board perishing.Kofi and Desmond Tutu leave for Belfast to preside over the new Assembly comprising school children from all Northern Ireland Schools and peace hits the streets of Northern Ireland.
        The  PSNI is scrapped as everyone is happy and  crime ends due to the wisdom of the ruling children.
      There Twocoats... an honest end to all problems including the PSNI. ;)

Twocoats

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2007, 12:27:48 AM »
Great story G. I had a chuckle. Coats

AL CAPONE

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2007, 06:17:32 PM »
None of them would beat Big Al!!!!!!!