Author Topic: Cape Street.  (Read 37460 times)

shamrock249

Re: Cape Street.
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 10:13:31 PM »
The wee hill as you call it  was called simply 'The Opening' from what I recall.
Signed   Mrs Cullen's wee son Jimmy.

shamrock249

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 10:15:45 PM »
Hi rocky1 ... whats your name. You must have lived in Cape St at one time. Jimmy Cullen.

arkie

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 11:35:52 PM »
CORRECT, CAPE ST. OPENING. WE CALLED IT CAPE ST. OPENER. :)

rocky1

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2009, 08:21:00 PM »
Hi Shamrock , no i came from the Whiterock but use to knock around Cape st.
Remember the Murrys who lived across from Raineys. Do you remember the pub in the next street to Cape st as i use to go into the snug and order a wee drink for Maggie or was it Nellie? Was speaking to Joe Rainey a few weeks back. Do you remember his wife Kathleen (RIP) she was alovely lady. My name Joe Kelly

celine

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2009, 06:36:00 AM »
Whats wrong with you Lillikins - you have to remember Marion Maguire from Cape St. she was at St. Louises the same year as us.

Lillikins

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2009, 02:11:11 PM »
Sorry Miss Celine  :( I promise I won't forget again.  :girl_cray: :haha:
Aye I do indeed remember Marion Maguire, and a lot of others - but I am in practice for becoming a senior citizen at the end of the year  :yahoo: and this is part of my homework. I have to remember NOT TO REMEMBER. And believe me Celine, I don't need to practise - I'M FORGETFUL EVERY DAY! ::) :D

arkie

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2009, 05:46:22 PM »
ROCKY THAT WAS REAVEYS PUB. CNR, BALACLAVA ST./ RAGLAN ST. ;)

mrttc

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 11:10:08 AM »
Hi James
I know a lot of people from Cape St

paddym

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2009, 04:21:27 PM »
Hi all, I just learned about the forum. My name is Paddy Mooney and I lived at No. 14 Cape Street as a child. I think we moved to Cape Street in 1958 when I was two years old and stayed there until 1972. My parents were Paddy and Mena Mooney and I had four brothers and a sister and they were Martin, Jim, Joseph, Alice and Dominic. Unfortunately both my parents and my brother Jim have passed away.

I remember all the people mentioned and I know a few more. Next door to us on one side at No. 16 were the Girvans, and on the other side the Martins. At No. 18 were the Magees and across the street from us were the Mc Nallys. John Mc Nally senior was an Olympic siver medalist in boxing at the 1952 games in Helsinki. He was the first Irishman to win an Olympic boxing medal. He was married to Kathleen whose maiden name was Murray and she was the sister of Gerry Murray who lived a few doors up the street. He played in a folk group as did John McNally and I vaguely remember them playing at what I think was the first ever Falls Festival in or around 1966. I remember the Dubliners being around the Falls at this time. They bought ice cream (pokes) for what seemed like hundreds of kids one day.

I, like Martin, Jim and Joseph went to St. Peter's Primary School in Raglan Street and remeber very well the teachers who taught me there. There was Miss Corbett, Miss McVeigh, Mr Traynor, Mr Donnelly, Mr Caldwell (who later became principal), Mr Barret and Mr Sharvin the principal.

I remeber too the 'Opener' where I would play football with friends from school and the neighbouring streets. 

I would really like photographs of the old street if anyone has any.

McNamee

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2009, 04:32:42 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Paddy.

Belle Fast

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2009, 04:46:31 PM »
MY friend lived in Cape St in late 60's her parents were Gerry & Maggie Henry.We Went to St Peter's girls together. :)

arkie

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2009, 08:10:47 PM »
MRTTC,  THE OPENER WAS THE MECCA FOR THE MARLEY GAME. TERRY MULDOON WAS A SHARK AT IT. YOU LIKED THE DINKIES. ;)

shamrock249

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2009, 02:55:29 AM »

shamrock249

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2009, 03:30:46 AM »
Hi Paddym, welcome to the forums.  I lived at number 23 (The Cullens) and my grandparents lived at number 10 ( The Byrnes). I was born in number 23 and emigrated to Canada in 1970. I remember the Girvans very well and also the Martins but I don't remember your family.  I don't know why. The Martins if I remember correctly were the first ones on the street to get a TV. I also remember Tony Martin who I think did about 20 or more driving tests to get his licence, can't remember if he was eventually successful or not. I hope you like the photo that I posted.

Jimmy Cullen.

arkie

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2009, 11:49:08 AM »
AH, THE OPENER, THEN BALKAN ST. RAGLAN ST, UP CAPE ST. TO ROSS ST. AND GREEVES MILL. PETER BUTTIMER, AND TOMMY HENRY CLIMED TO THE TOP OF THE TANK. :)