Author Topic: The Red Barn, Rosemary Street  (Read 7792 times)

superman

The Red Barn, Rosemary Street
« on: April 18, 2009, 12:28:46 AM »
I had a couple of drinks in it.

homebird

Re: The Red Barn, Rosemary Street
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 12:34:20 AM »
Walked past it many times, have drank in the three c's, is that beside the red barn? 

superman

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 12:36:36 AM »
I dont honestly know the last time I drank in the Barn was 1971, the three c s must have come after that. ???

homebird

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 12:39:35 AM »
 OK  :D, i was born in 1971, the 3 C's i thought was an old bar that no longer existed, but the sign for the red barn is still there 

superman

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 12:40:47 AM »
Yes the sign is still there and I think the bar is as well but closed up for quite a while.I also knew two of the barmen who worked in it, they did the bar at Maxims Dance in Fountain St, I got in free when I went with them.

Val

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 12:41:12 AM »
OK  :D, i was born in 1971, the 3 C's i thought was an old bar that no longer existed, but the sign for the red barn is still there 

Homebird, you were born in 1971 ???

homebird

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 12:49:25 AM »
Yes, do i give the impression of being much older? I am only a wee thing :D funny my goddaughter thinks i'm ancient too ???

bnf

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 01:54:09 AM »
 .   have drank in the three c's, is that beside the red barn? 
homebird,
i hate to say but the 3c's (central catholic club ) was at 123 royal avenue
from the early 1900's, between north street and william street.
bnf    :o
" The Fox knows many things,
    but the Hedgehog knows one big thing. "
    ARCHILOCHUS.

homebird

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 02:05:46 AM »
oops :D same vicinity anyway.  .isn't it ???

McNamee

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 09:35:31 AM »
I had a couple of drinks in it.

It was owned by a Tommy Hunt,  I had a few drinks there late 60s.  There was a barman named Sean.

teragram

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 10:10:23 AM »
His full name was Sean Boyd, McNamee.   I worked in it from '67 til '70. Sean was from Turf Lodge, but he started to put on a Dublin brogue from some reason. There were three bars in one in that building. The Star & Garter on Rosemary St. Upstairs was the Rosemary Room, and at the back of the building was The Red Barn. you could enter it by walking through the public bar, or up the entry in Rosemary St. Sean once entered a cocktail competition and won it with his cocktail, which he called "Rosemantic".  Sean was a ladies man, and like the rest of us, he liked getting his oates.
If you don't do it you won't get caught.

teragram

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 10:39:59 AM »
Yes the sign is still there and I think the bar is as well but closed up for quite a while.I also knew two of the barmen who worked in it, they did the bar at Maxims Dance in Fountain St, I got in free when I went with them.

One of the barmen you're talking about might have been me. I used to work in Maxims  after work for a bit of overtime. It was supposedly run by a bloke called Gallagher, who was connected to Tommy Hunt through marriage, but Hunt was really the main man.
If you don't do it you won't get caught.

superman

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 01:50:44 PM »
Teragram the barman I knew was part time he was called Conor Boyd the other was called Jerry did you know them. I knew Sean Boyd he is in Dublin now I think he is running one of these schools for catering.Conor was his younger brother. The other one called gerry had agirlfriend called Kate she was a nurse worked in the Fever Hospital.

McNamee

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 06:31:39 PM »
His full name was Sean Boyd, McNamee.   I worked in it from '67 til '70. Sean was from Turf Lodge, but he started to put on a Dublin brogue from some reason. There were three bars in one in that building. The Star & Garter on Rosemary St. Upstairs was the Rosemary Room, and at the back of the building was The Red Barn. you could enter it by walking through the public bar, or up the entry in Rosemary St. Sean once entered a cocktail competition and won it with his cocktail, which he called "Rosemantic".  Sean was a ladies man, and like the rest of us, he liked getting his oates.

Way back then he was going with a lovely girl called Kathleen.  I have a photograph taken with them at a Dress Dance.

superman

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 07:18:13 PM »
Do you know whatever happened to kathleen ???