Author Topic: RODEN STREET  (Read 37770 times)

george moore

Re: RODEN STREET
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2012, 08:33:10 PM »
We lived in Roden St and played football in the entry with the great Joe Bambrick who lived 6 doors up. Joe still holds the British record of 6 goals scored in an international match against Wales at Celtic Park. He scored one with a back heel and was known as Head. Heel or Toe slip it to Joe.

Farnsbarn

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2012, 03:37:28 AM »
tannybrake  I knew george curry.he was a few years older than me,i played with him,but he whent around with the older boys. one of the brothers we called [skippy]curry.
   Hi wee ernie, I went to Tintop school with a guy called Geordie Curry, he lived in the first door in Roden St., at the corner of Buckingham St. If you look at the first page of the Excise St., thread started by Dawson, there's a picture of two guys walking up Buckingham St., one of the guys is Geordie Curry.
          Farnsbarn.

wee ernie

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2012, 04:25:16 PM »
hi farnsbarn.that,s the george curry i played with.I also went to tin top school.had a look at the photo of the boys walking up buckingham st.Which one do you say is george curry.The one on the outside looks like billy wilson ot me

Farnsbarn

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2012, 01:19:48 AM »
hi farnsbarn.that,s the george curry i played with.I also went to tin top school.had a look at the photo of the boys walking up buckingham st.Which one do you say is george curry.The one on the outside looks like billy wilson ot me
  Hi wee ernie, The guy on the right is Geordie Curry. Where did you live, and what age group are you in?
     Regards,
          Farnsbarn.

wee ernie

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2012, 07:55:10 PM »
hi farnsbarn I lived in electric st ,there was three streets in a triangle shape,top street was clifford st ,then magnetic st and electric st.  i'm 70yrs old.

650-BONNIE

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2012, 09:11:20 PM »
 :prankster:  I well remember Roden St. I married the best girl in the world, from Brassey St. well the best girl in Beassey St. :-*

Dawson

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2012, 09:21:34 PM »

colin randell

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2012, 11:16:22 PM »
 your uncle alfies shop was on the corner of burnaby street facing wards wine shop he worked the shop but had no backdoor what we called the yard belonged to the family called lee there was three familys lived next door to his shop murry dornan and lee they had gun dogs out there when the troubles broke out he moved onto the donegall road next to dr. sammy sloan surgery the part of roden street you are looking for is well gone they knocked down about 1,000houses to build about 150houses and part of the westlink i was in roden street just before christmas and its a slum  broken glass bricks littered every were not the place i was brought up in                                               
My Uncle Alfie had a shoe repair shop in Roden Street, pretty far down from the Donegall Road on the right hand side of Roden Street and I think if I look thru me old fotos there might be one of him in his wee shop. I still remember the smell of the "solution" they used to glue on the heels and soles of the shoes. Uncle Alfie passed on some years ago now but I often wonder what Roden Street is like - might have to check it out on Google maps street view.

colin randell

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2012, 11:26:26 PM »
 paddys was know for his COMAT red wine blow the head of you they came from all over to bye it there was a gang came from the looney cant remember his name but he wore a patch over an eye                                               
anyone remember the wee off licience in barton st. my father used to bottle the wine for paddy mathews.

colin randell

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2012, 11:35:01 PM »
 his name is tommy sloane still alive and kicking run into him about two years maybe more in curleys on the falls road still the same tommy very quiet but didnt have a cigarette in his hand.                                       
i used to go to the barbers facing the police barricks to have my hair cut i am not sure but it might have been called mc courts he put a wee plank across the seat for me to sit on and if he has any of the hair he cut can i have it back

colin randell

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2012, 11:44:41 PM »
 would this curry had lived in number 52 was related to the convilles from clifford street i think just across the road ?  Olive conville she was taught fencing by cummings school teacher from kelvin that was her grandmothers house.                                           
Does anyone remember the Curry family who lived in Roden Street from the 30s up until the 70s?  Stanley, Norman, Edmond, Sammy, David, Jim and Lily.  Jim drowned on the Princess Victoria in 1953. 
I'd be interested to hear from anyone who grew up with or knew my grandfather Curry.

colin randell

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2012, 11:58:11 PM »
 would you like to share her name with us?                                     
:prankster:  I well remember Roden St. I married the best girl in the world, from Brassey St. well the best girl in Beassey St. :-*

olelad

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2012, 09:49:45 AM »
wasnt there a guy named james mcnally who lived there 60s early 70s ?

rolohosick

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2012, 10:35:06 PM »
HEY THINGS COLIN,
 I DON'T REMEMBER THAT SHOP IN BURNABY ST WHERE THE LEE'S LIVED EVER BEEN OPEN

colin randell

« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2012, 01:45:28 AM »
  jamesie mcanally from balmoral street now lives in craigavon the last time i seen him was about 4 or 5years ago my brother should be able to tell you more about him didnt live to far from each orther till the junkies took over then my brother denis moved to portadown maybe get him to answer on jamesie                                                                                                                                                       
wasnt there a guy named james mcnally who lived there 60s early 70s ?